Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Which only confirms that Dedfire is a decent game. It's up there in the "new classics" crowd.
No, it just confirms that this forum has SHIT taste. The fact that TW3, PF:KM, KC: D, Expedition: Vikings, and ATOM, among other games, are all higher rated than Underrail and AoD is further proof of this.

ATOM is awesome, what is wrong with you?
Also this taste is not shit, just generic. Also look at the Codex Top 100's first 10 titles and kill yourself.
Atom is good, so is the rest but AoD is just better. The unique setting. Branching dialogues. Choices that matter. All the stuff you can learn about and do. Multiple converging plots. Variety of builds.Complex combat with good AI. It has every cRPG aspect covered right.

I'm not arguing that AoD is a masterpiece (though a weird one), but ItsChon wrote SHIT taste and then ATOM, so I'm surprised.
Well, comparative ratings of AoD and Atom are just way off. It's a good game and I'd defend it to death, but come on. It's not even half as good in majority of above mentioned aspects, yet had a better rating, probably riding on pure Fallout nostalgia.

Probably have something to do with graphics.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's better ever since they added the turn based combat :shittydog:
Yes and no.

Obviously, it makes the combat a lot better.
But it also makes the combat take MUCH more time. And the game is still filled with a lot of trash encounters - having to do trash encounters in TB mode is just a PITA.
Especially since even with everything set to max speed, some enemies are still to sooooooo slooooooooooooooowww.

I quite enjoy encounters in Deadfire. Many of them can be avoided through sneak or speach. Or you can gain some upper hand with some prior actions. It's DLCs that get more battle-heavy.
Yes, the game is dull written, and sea part is bad implemented (still, after many patches). But I find encounters there much more interesting, enjoyable and meaningful than first PoE or Trashfinder: Trashmaker grind-hordes-of-trashies system.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Titan Outpost with the highest average rating. Nice. Based on low numbers, sure, but even 54 votes is more than I expected, considering the total amount of sales so far. Thanks Codex!

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It's ridiculous. IDK about Slay the Spire, but people butthurt over Disco making no fuss about a fucking platformer pretty much shows it's more about butthurt than legit critique.

It has stats, it has builds, it has mulitple endings (rudimentary C&C). Close enough to Dark Souls.
So does Disco. It just happens to prioritize dialogue and narrative over arcade gameplay.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
So does Disco. It just happens to prioritize dialogue and narrative over arcade gameplay.

Nice description of Disco mate.

Only one of them has combat as an option for every opponent. :)
Only one of them has dialogue as an option for every opponent.

Seriously, which DM would you choose - one that forces to resolve every confrontation through violence, or the one that prefers dialogue?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Nice description of Disco mate.

Only one of them has combat as an option for every opponent. :)
If you want combat that much,then go stalk the call of duty reddit. Fuck,the codex got filled with popamole authists....:decline:. Tho in the end i feel pretty smug about the combatfag butthurt thing,it is like the political globohomo shit,but this time being on the winning side :).

Modron

Arcane
Only one of them has dialogue as an option for every opponent.

Seriously, which DM would you choose - one that forces to resolve every confrontation through violence, or the one that prefers dialogue?
Neither, best DMs are flexible dms. Gun to my head probably the combat dm just because less likely to be larper.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I wouldn't stick around long in either group.

someone redpill me on how slay the spire is an "rpg"

thanks
You start by picking your character class, and get some default equipment.
As you progress through the simple randomly generated dungeon, you gain potions, more gear, ability to upgrade equipment, gold, shops.

But note that you never actually level up your character, so it's not an rpg. (See Also: Laptop guy doesn't have stats therefore JA2 is not an rpg)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Always considered JA2 to be closer to xcom then an rpg but....I can see the reasoning for people who feel that way. Laptop guy not having stats is hardly a deal breaker though, you can consider your hand made merc to be the laptop guy, I know I did.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No, it just confirms that this forum has SHIT taste. The fact that TW3, PF:KM, KC: D, Expedition: Vikings, and ATOM, among other games, are all higher rated than Underrail and AoD is further proof of this.

ATOM is better than both those 2 games. :smug:
Go back to school kid, no amount of "hey look at me" will let you in the big boys club.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but people butthurt over Disco making no fuss about a fucking platformer pretty much shows it's more about butthurt than legit critique.

Well the metroidvania is a game, and as such fulfills at least one requirement to be in the "Best Role Playing Game" poll, something DE is incapable of. :smug:
Besides, didn't you know? According to felipepepe, for a game to be an RPG all it needs is a character progression system. Well metroidvanias are loaded with those, specially the Igavania kind which always has stats. So it's definitely an RPG. :dance:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom