Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Antharion, Indie Turn- and Party-based RPG

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
4 stinks

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The game looks pretty interesting, but it doesn't seem like it's going to get funded this time. I hope they keep plugging at it and relaunch after getting some more publicity.

kaizoku

Arcane
IMO the problem Antharion is that it seems to intersect 2 different crowds: the classic cRPGs (turn based, party based) and the cute games (big heads, cute animations). And the Venn diagram shows a very small population.
They should have gone with realism instead of chibbiness. (another example of the results of cuteness cancer here)
And from the comments above, a party size of 6 would have helped too. Although I'm ok with 4.

On another note, he talks about a lot of nice ideas... yeah ideas are, well, nice, but implementing them is another thing.
Yes I know that the point of KS is to help in that. But I have to wonder about all those other KS that just put out ideas but no juice at all. Let's face it, this may just end up to be another "mehhh" game.
Some examples for what I'm trying to say, from their KS:
- NPCs don't just mindlessly sit there all day waiting like cardboard cutouts for you to enter their shops, they have lives of their own: going to their jobs during the day and then home at night.
- Steal in front of someone and you may be in for a fight, or they may just flee to find the nearest guard depending on their individual temperament.
- Get reported for committing a crime and you'll have a bounty on your head - if a guard spots you he'll throw you in the nearest prison (probably taking a bit of your coin for himself).

This is great, but can they pull it off?
They have showed a working prototype, which is great.
But are they able to pull those difficult to implement ideas?

Maybe I'm being unfair on this one, but they haven't been able to convince me this time.
Had they put some gameplay videos of something cool (C&C, interesting interaction, dialog) and I may have took the bait.

I just looked at the projects I backed which didn't have any substance or credit to them besides good will. They were: SRR and Jack Houston and the Necronauts. I only backed them because I really liked the concept and wanted to see those games get made. There is a non negligible chance that they both turn to shit and I get burned... (especially that Jack Houston game)
Other projects I have backed that had "some" credit or some work to show for: W2 and Dead State. Both of these can end up as shitty games too.

And WTF is with this last update!?
This video should have been done on the first or second day damn it!

They should fix what's currently wrong (removing the chibii factor), show videos of some things they want to do (C&C, NPC reactivity, dialog)... and go for another KS.
Ideally they should put a 2h-3h demo of a small town. If it's good then people will want to play more and pledge.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
backers

$11,870
pledged of $15,000 goal

hours to go

In before last minute pledge from Obsidian

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a shame the Kickstarter failed - I hope they try it again in the future with a stronger pitch that includes more info (gameplay videos, possibly a demo) out of the gate.

DaViLLaN

Augur
Yea, they waited a bit too long to push it, but it seems we have convinced them to relaunch.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The logo might have put some people off, which isn't that surprising. Did they get MCA or some other famous game developer to tweet about Antharion?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom