Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    I was discussing Witcher 3's combat system with my wife a few days ago and we were talking about how technically simple its presentation is, and yet "despite" that, it still was fun after 80+ hours (at least it was for us).

I agree I feel Pillars combat is overly complicated and the more moving parts you have, the more you have to juggle to feel right, but it is billed as a combat-focused game, and I freely admit I can't even fight an Arcanum wolf successfully, so I'd take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think inheriting the D&D spell and class systems is partly the reason for the over-complication as well (I tend to prefer the Fallout approach that I still feel allows for a lot of types of characters, and a lot of role-playing who you want to be).

• Funny x 27
    • Brofist x 14
    • Doggy x 10
    • Agree x 5
    • popamole x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • When words are not enough x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Goldfist x 1
    • thumbs down x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    For that matter:
    That's a book written by Kotaku's Jason Schreier, so best to be taken with a huge grain of salt if that's the only source and not personal knowledge of it:

Are there any specific examples for the kind of things Feargus or other higher-ups would micromanage in already released games and how/what changed because of that you could talk about?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fork Cipher

fork
    :abyssgazer:

• Funny x 11
    • Agree x 3
    • Despair x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • meh x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    You're right - so I equate Planescape with Torment, which is a mistake and can be confusing.

Let me rephrase:

I should have said "Torment" Kickstarter (although we were planning to call it "Last Rites," since that was the original name of the game, but we wanted to get the Torment name - see below). Sorry for the confusion.

We weren't planning on using the Planescape setting, but instead do a spiritual successor (like Numenera did).

One additional frustration (which I don't blame Fargo for in the slightest) is that Feargus knew the Torment name was coming up and could be bought, but he moved too slow and Fargo secured it first (Fargo keeps tabs on things like that). That contributed to my lack of desire to work on the KS as well - I couldn't even get my boss to take action when we needed him to, he dragged his feet when he shouldn't.

One positive for Fargo is he actually made time to talk to me about it after it happened, and I appreciated the face-to-face discussion - and I told him I certainly didn't have any hard feelings (I didn't, I never saw the property as "mine," I just saw it as a missed opportunity for Obsidian).

• Brofist Brofist x 37
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    Any stories on Lionheart? Wasn't BIS the publisher on that? I could see the Urquhart management style contributing to the messiness of the game.

• Despair Despair x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That reminds me - more Feargus gossip.

Back in February 9th 2015, Polygon published this interview with Feargus in which he complained about the unavailability of the D&D license: https://www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/80...video-game-devs-thinks-that-tabletop-game-has

Just three days later, Sword Coast Legends, the ill-conceived D&D-licensed game from the now defunct n-Space, was announced: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9767

Was there any connection there? What was the context for Feargus' complaints?

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Even though it was a spiritual successor, if we did a KS, we'd want to do something that was new and ours (Planescape was owned by Wizards), if that makes any sense.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Let me do my question again, now that you spoke about Tyranny

Chris Avellone Tyranny belongs to Paradox. This is a game that you would like to work if Paradox wants to make a sequel and Obsidian is not involved?

I think its an amazing setting

^ Top  
  10. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    It makes sense... but world building is risky and many people felt POE failed to deliver on the lore side.

And the P. setting is so awesome :\ Wish if you ever going to fund a studio you would get a license for it!

^ Top  
  11. MajorMace Learned

MajorMace
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/963298225657667584

:lol:

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    The context for Feargus's complaints were Feargus.

I don't know whether he didn't like Wizard's terms or whatever or they didn't like ours, but Ferg's many attempts to get a D&D game continually failed despite the fact he really wanted to do one. He may have been asking too much, doing the wrong approach, but I honestly couldn't tell you why it kept falling apart. It didn't seem to be his decision, however.

As you point out, it apparently was possible to get the license, but not for Obsidian.

• Brofist x 18
    • Funny x 13
    • Informative x 3
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Xunwael Novice

Xunwael
    These IP conflicts really boggle up recent fantasy games. So many feel the need to establish their own universe, with all the fantasitis and other problems that come along with it, most important of which is forgetting chekov's gun. Games so focused on telling the story of their world they half forget how to tell the story of the game, and the audience gets bored as they skim through the game's text; filled to the brim with irrelevant proper nouns that you have no interest in whatsoever during your first introduction to the setting.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    • Funny Funny x 8
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Chris, do you feel that as a designer, your talents are more suited towards working with existing properties than towards creating new IPs? Or is that just reporting bias - those coincidentally being the sorts of games you've almost exclusively worked on?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Yeah, and like was posted, Chris Parker was on it, too, although he barely interacted with me even while I was working on it.

I worked a few months on it before forcibly assigning myself back to Van Buren (this isn't a slam on Reflexive, but I didn't think they were managed or supported well on the BIS side).

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. 2house2fly Erudite

2house2fly
    Would you mind talking about why you think not much of Tim made it in? Other projects? Incompatible design styles?

^ Top  
  18. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Working on existing IPs was more often the case for most of my development career - just because existing IPs usually carried the odds of attracting more attention and selling better because they came with a fanbase (usually).

I did enjoy creating lore for Tyranny as much as creating lore for KOTOR2, so I don't know if I have a bias myself - I think doing work for an existing IP or making one of your own has different advantages and disadvantages, except for the common factor: you're working on a game, which is awesome.

Now that I'm freelancing, I work on many more brand-new IPs (not solely of my own creation), and the advantage is you can mold the property's lore to the game mechanics, design, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Big Wrangle Guest

Big Wrangle
    Chris Avellone with your contribution to Prey, do you see yourself doing more stuff with other genres in the future?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    I'd love to hear your idea of the perfect development team and how it should work.

How in the ever loving fuck did you people ever manage to actually make games?

• Funny x 17
    • it is a mystery x 12
    • Agree x 4
    • "It was Aliens" x 3
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Yes, and am. I find it helps my writing experience to write for other genres of games (and other genres of media). While I like RPGs, I don't solely want to do RPGs all the time.

• Brofist x 12
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    What was in the the game pitch you have written?

^ Top  
  23. Lycra Suit Arbiter

Lycra Suit
    You did?

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 6
    • Shit x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Doggy x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Big Wrangle Guest

Big Wrangle
    He enjoyed the lore he worked on. Doesn't mean he liked every character backstory.

^ Top  
  25. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    I didn't write Kills-in-Shadow (I left before any dialogue writing, but I had done a lot of world-building). Some of those elements didn't remain, but I didn't play Tyranny, so I couldn't tell what I did vs. what was new.

I did enjoy working on the background lore and world-building.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)