Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. pomenitul Learned

pomenitul
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Because there is clearly nothing to hide in a culture where trolly edginess and one-upmanship reign supreme.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Parrots:
    Chris Avellone

Since, as you yourself said, there have been way too many questions, and you havent managed to answer/catch them all (which I, ofc, absolutely understand), I'm going to try once more, hoping you will see it this time. I hope you dont take this as rude/pushy. :love:And, I hope I'm not missing the point - most of the questions seem to relate to current situation in the industry, but I caught a few offtopic ones, and I really want to pick your brain.

Heck, while we are here, I'd like to toss another one - what is your opinion, and have you ever consciously based your work on narrative models such as monomyth/writers journey/etc.? How applicable are they when it comes to video games?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cael Ask me about Pathfinder Dumbfuck Edgy

Cael
    Parrots:
    Come now. You act as if one of your mods don't do the same. He has been called out on it by multiple posters, including, if it means anything at all, someone who has been here for a very long time.

I have worked with a company where only 1 or 2 out of over 80 staff were a problem, and yet the whole company went from having the potential to be the best of the best in its field to one that would be near impossible to even get rated "satisfactory" by the client. Favouritism is a nasty, NASTY thing and the fallout from it is horrendous. I could list the bullying, harassment, bigotry, undermining, politics, and worse, but that would take a novel. Even the clients started accusing them of favouritism, racism and worse. It got to the point where it became untenable, and as my project team started losing its best people to "reassignment" and they were replaced with favourites who were placed to get a bit of shine from good projects, I switched modes from being the leader of the team to being the janitor. After the last of the original team left the company, I walked away as well. I did give them a warning that if any of their favourites try to push crap on me again, I will just drop everything and walk out. After that, it was a matter of when, not if, something like that would happen.

From what I understand of Chris Avellone's posts, that was part of the problem over in Obsidian shortly before he left the place.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. The Game Analists Arcane

The Game Analists
    Parrots:
    YOU KNOW WHAT'S REALLY MISSING FROM THESE THREADS
    A CIRCA 2016 TGA AUTISM FEST
    :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x
    JESUS FUCKING DICKETY FUCK-

meh whatever i dont really like doing that shit anymore. Look, fucking hell a lot of people want this forum censored. It's sad.

• (autism) (autism) x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jenkem Liturgist Patron

Jenkem
    Parrots:
    wow, you're right... the website is really fucking strange these days.. and by the way affect is a verb and effect is a noun

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    [​IMG]

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • what? what? x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Actually, yes. The main subject f this thread has been treatment of workers by a corporation. It's only natural that you have commies raise their heads.

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. The Game Analists Arcane

The Game Analists
    Parrots:
    Why doesn't felipepepe just FUCKING LEAVE IF HE DOESN'T LIKE IT?

• Agree x 6
    • butthurt x 6
    • Shit x 5
    • it is a mystery x 3
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Kleptocratic debt serf Educated

Kleptocratic debt serf
    Parrots:
    Maybe DU is all about democratic values or maybe that Kit Walker guy almost started an insurrection. Also, are you going to be the new premier authority on what constitutes low-effort shitposting? I dunno, why not ignore it.

Perhaps, DU wants the Codex to be a force for greater balance, especially when the competition has this going for it...
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...iticise-supposed-sjw-material-in-games.24028/

Or Maybe DU just doesn't give a fuck, TWIMTBP.

^ Top  
  10. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    :australia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Doggy Doggy x 7
    • Kitty Kitty x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Maculo Erudite

Maculo
    Parrots:
    I think you are wrong on this. People debated the working conditions at Obsidian and practices, and compared different standards (USA, Europe, etc). Some posters did take it too far (Blaine, Prime Junta, etc), but you failed to notice that the discussion reined itself in again. The posters moderated themselves.

Furthermore, how is it any less legit than, "why are we not a tier 1 website" and comparing an avatar change to mass banning and censorship?

Edit: You also failed to mention Avellone's own posts. Like calling IHaveHugeNick a "fucking shill," going off on Blaine, talking about Elex, or jabbing an Infinitron for being fake news. Truly, legitimate discussion and tier one website worthy :lol:. Isn't a little hypocritical to want DU and the staff to censor/remove posts, but yet you neglect to mention Avellone himself?

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    I'm well aware of the inadequacies of various members of staff. :smug:

Everyone has their bias. And a point at which there are things they won't tolerate. Even me. Finding people willing to volunteer for an RPG community site is always difficult and you take the good with the bad. Nobody is perfect. You can alleviate some of that with guidelines and clear rules, but then others will take that too far. Rex used to have the same criticism levelled against him, as did VD, as did Saint_Proverbius, along with all those inbetween. Ideally we'd have a couple of mods / news posters so that it's not all one person's view, but the history of the Codex shows it's always been one main person modding / posting news until they get exhausted and we move on to the next one out to burn them out too eventually.

I generally try not to judge the quality of the debate. To me, a forum topic is like any natural conversation. You might start talking about Trump winning the Nobel Peace Prize but by the end of it, you're discussing Penguins in Madagascar and wondering how you got there, with many half-made and dropped conversation points along the way. You can't control that. At what point do you decide that a derailing around communism is unacceptable but you're own which has lead to a discussion about forum moderation is ok?

• Brofist x 21
    • Salute x 14
    • Bad Spelling x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    DarkUnderlord never change mate,may the spark of anarchy stays strong in you. :salute:

• Brofist x 6
    • Agree x 5
    • Salute x 3
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wild Slop Arcane

Wild Slop
    Parrots:
    A Brazilian that can't stand idly by while commies are being rooted out. hmmmmm

• Funny Funny x 4
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I don't see any tags on IHaveHugeNick. He is a cousin of you or something. Or maybe you just don't feel like it. This place is just like Obsidian.

Naturally my ass. These communists are shamefully trying to infect a discussion about game design with marxist propaganda and they didn't even bother to hide.

Says you, and I'm one that already had comments moved to other threads by the way. It works. But apparently in threads that really matter the whole site needs to read through the garbage so that we can actually read Avellone's posts. It's like you are trying to ruin the best thread we had in years.

• butthurt x 8
    • retadred x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Stop being butthurt mate,you spend 11 years on this forum and get ralliedd up by a few pages of shit tossing match between nazi party and the red menace!?

• STOP! posting x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Moving posts =/= "mass banning and censorship". Don't be such a drama queen.

And sure, move everything out.

• Agree x 4
    • STOP! posting x 3
    • butthurt x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Maculo Erudite

Maculo
    Parrots:
    Its your comparison to begin with. You shouldn't being calling anyone a drama queen or a hypocrite at this point.

Furthermore, you cherry picked my post. You failed to mention that the communism discussion moderated itself. You also didn't take into account Avellone's own conduct, and yet that is more legitimate? It is a false dichotomy in a thread approaching 200 pages.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Morgan Ramsay Educated

Morgan Ramsay
    Parrots:
    All the owners, except Avellone, started their careers in QA.
    • Urquhart went into production and then studio management.
    • Parker went into production.
    • Monahan went into programming and then production.
    • Jones went into programming.
    All these transitions happened ~20 years ago. We all start somewhere.

• Informative Informative x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    move these posts to site feedback and ban anyone making them ffs!!!!!!

• Funny x 4
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. santino27 Prophet

santino27
    Parrots:
    I'm a bit confused by this... 'review' time in America is generally the annual performance review wherein employees are hoping for some sort of a raise, promotion, or guidance, and I assumed that's what Chris Avellone was referring to. That's not tied to game development schedules and is very different than 'pre-launch game review and regression' which is what you appear to be describing.

I don't work in the gaming industry though, so maybe they do things differently, and that's what MCA meant. Would love a clarification from him, if so!

Edit: Also, if people would just ignore the off-topic posts, they'd likely go away. Most of this shit is done for attention, after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Maculo Erudite

Maculo
    Parrots:
    This sounds like a less than legitimate discussion to be having :argh:.

• Rage Rage x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    It sure seemed a lot easier 3-4 years ago, when we had so many volunteers that there was fights over the order in which to publish reviews, articles and the likes... we used to have more quality content in a month than we had this entire year.

Gotta ask yourself what happened since.

• "It was Aliens" x 9
    • it is a mystery x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • meh x 1
    • No x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Old x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Crooked bee left and Infinitron became editor-in-chief

• Funny x 12
    • Makes you think... x 5
    • Despair x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)