Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Nutria Learned

Nutria
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    There is some dissonance between the different cities, but I'd say the worst parts of Alpha Protocol are wherever it takes itself seriously. Brayko being obsessed with the '80s is dumb, but it's not as dumb as Marburg trying to make money through terrorism. The guy has got a legitimate mercenary business going on, so he could make a fortune for himself guarding pipelines in Angola or something. He has no need to take the risk of blowing up a bunch of Europeans. And how is Halbech going to pay him? How do they hide their massive slush fund for payments to terrorists from their own shareholders? How is Marburg going to launder so much money while the economy is tanking and there's a wave of terrorist attacks drawing extreme scrutiny of any suspicious financial dealings? How does Marburg trust that everyone else involved in this operation, from his foot soldiers to his bankers, will keep quiet when it turns to mass murder?

I'd never even ask those questions about Brayko because he's not played straight as a character you're supposed to take seriously.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    They will send missiles filled with money his way.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Strong disagreement, the in-game dossier gives a plausible explanation.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Parrots:
    Marburg's situation is character sketch and criticism of the Private military and Mainstream Journalism: how the former can easily provide skills for terrorism and how the latter can be tricked/paid to misreport the situation without any real "journalism".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Drax Arcane

Drax
    Parrots:
    So I'm guessing MCA finally talked to a lawyer who told him to GTFO THAT NAZI SCUM DEN and that's why he stopped posting.

• Despair x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. That Damn Dog Erudite

That Damn Dog
    Parrots:
    Well that's no fucking fun at all. Shakespeare was right about killing all the lawyers, he was.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bladeract It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again. Dumbfuck

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    It's like the antivirus industry/scam. The ones who benefit from terrorism is the ones paid to fight it and they can be the same people.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    It's not that, it's just that it's close to E3, so developers (including me) tend to be a lot busier preparing for the expo/rehearsing for the expo.

Also, have a major writing deadline this month, so it's been consuming most of my time.

Although, unless someone else comes forward, I don't have much more to add to the original part of the thread (but there's a list of questions I missed in my inbox I need to get to, since one of the Codex was kind enough to compile the ones I missed and send them to me). If someone else does step up to speak about their Obsidian experience (either within the company or from a publisher perspective), however, I'm happy to lend my knowledge of events to back them. Again, what I posted is about 30% of the Obsidian story.

That said, I guess I could pass along some other tidbits:

One, when J.R. Vosovic criticized New Vegas' crunch time development, the person who chose to respond (anonymously) was one of the owners: Darren. But he unfortunately, phrased his response in such a way it made it seem like it was Josh who was responding to JR's blog (although Josh was upset by JR's comments, too, I believe he brought it up with JR directly vs. Darren's response, which just confused the issue - and JR's response to Darren's anonymous comment wasn't positive).

Two, when the Stormlands layoffs happened, that was only the first wave - not long after, we lost a second round of employees who then left because the company situation was clearly unstable. (While this is a naive scenario, I do wish we could have anticipated that if only to keep some of the others we let go if we'd known others would move on - we lost a lot of the people we wanted to retain, so the layoffs and Stormlands cancellation shot us in the foot, not once, but twice.)

Three, we never did find out who made the AP-critical comment about Chris Parker, but we suspected it was one of the gameplay programmers on Alpha Protocol (and whether it was or not, his experience was by no means unique) - but looking at the list, very few of them would have ever made a comment on a forum like that, since that wasn't what most of them were like (Michael, Nicolas, etc. weren't the type of people to do a comment like that, ever).

Back to writing and expo preparing.

• Brofist x 24
    • Salute x 9
    • Friendly x 8
    • Thanks! x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Drax Arcane

Drax
    Parrots:
    :rpgcodex:

• M'lady M'lady x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. conan_edw Educated

conan_edw
    Parrots:
    What type of preparation do you need for the E3, will you be on stage?

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Maybe he is arranging interviews and connects with other developers who he will meet there.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. sorinmask Literate

sorinmask
    Parrots:
    Possibly one of the last few people in video game development to type out those words, and get me emotionally involved/interested or excited.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    If you actually are lucky enough to live in Eastern Europe you will find that Brayko was actually quite a common archetype of gangster/chad here(at least in the 90's to the earlier 2000's. Not so much now as Russia and the east in general have moved past that era) but at the time of AP, mullets and tight tees were still popular-ish.

80's are still present among the nerds though.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    ITT: felipepepe derails a thread complaining about thread derailment.

Also ITT: wtf I love Chris Avellone now..
    How refreshing to hear your real opinion on these topics instead of the happy go-lucky feel good stuff.

Fantastic read.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Drugs and hookers don't just buy emsens you know.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Back then we only thought Cleve was crazy. Afterwards we began sympathizing with his addled, literally raped, mind.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Parrots:
    And finished reading. After ~200 it's pretty slow so last 20 or so pages took more time than i thought.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 4
    • Salute Salute x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well done, brother.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. FireKing Reginus Maximus Patron

FireKing
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    :ibelieveincleve:

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    If you're human your 70% is just water men.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. hpstg Learned

hpstg
    Parrots:
    My guess is that he means the Dying Light 2 presentation.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)