Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:

I don't think ANYONE at this company would claim it is perfect, it isn't. I have been vocal and consistent about problem areas here, and so have others - and btw, we weren't fired for voicing our opinions. In fact, one of the most true things I can say about this company is how hard they DO work to improve the process. They are constantly trying to improve it - if things were truly broken and hopeless, we wouldn't make it. Look at the facts, the average independent game studio doesn't even make it two years. Obsidian is about to celebrate 15 years, so clearly we are doing more right than wrong.

It's not more complicated than that.

• Brofist x 23
    • Informative x 7
    • Balanced x 5
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Fry Arcane

Fry
    Parrots:
    Eh... a guy who walked away from an equity stake with empty pockets probably shouldn't be trying to run his own company.

Good game dev and good businessman don't often mix.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    So if it was all that great why did you leave in the first place? Or were you "let go" due to financial problems Obsidian had and returned ASAP?

^ Top  
  4. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:

I credit Avellone and Sawyer equally for saving that project - and I am eternally thankful for both of them because WITHOUT them, all of that suffering would have been wasted. They both truly salvaged that game.

I have been at Obsidian for a total of... 12 years. Longer than even my time at Netscape.

95% of the time, my time at this company is joyful and wonderful. I wake up excited to come to work, both because of the work and because of the people. I know the vast majority of the people here feel the same way.

• Brofist x 16
    • Friendly x 6
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    To be fair, Obsidian only made it because they begged random interweb strangers for money to stay afloat in the form of the PoE KS...

Any company that has to beg to stay in business is not an example of good management.

• Agree x 6
    • Edgy x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Parrots:
    What can change the nature of Obsidian?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:
    It's a pretty simple story.

I wanted to get married and start a family.

California is very expensive.

I asked for a raise, which my CTO said I deserved, but wasn't able to give me because of the layoffs we just had. Instead, he gave me a glowing recommendation and I took a job in Texas.

When the time was right I returned, eagerly, to Obsidian, and at a higher salary.

• incline x 21
    • Friendly x 7
    • Informative x 5
    • nice x 3
    • Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    *sounds of Anthony Davis's health insurance documents being shredded in the background*

• Funny Funny x 97
    ^ Top  
  9. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    Parrots:
    That presumes that every issue was in management or the company's control. To me recollection, Bethesda was not easy to deal with on NV. Furthermore, owning a business is not a cake walk.

What would be preferable? They just give up and run away? I have grown weary of kickstarter, but I find that preferable to just surrendering at the sign of difficult times.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Feel-good stories about Obsidian cupping your balls and whispering into your ear that you're handsome and a good boy are nice, but is MCA lying about getting hosed when he left Obsidian, or isn't he?

I've read all of the [​IMG] posts in this thread, to my knowledge, but I don't recall seeing an answer that specific charge, only protestations that Obsidian's corporate culture isn't as rotten as Chris lets on.

Chris getting hosed is actually the main point of contention here, let's not forget. I'm sure it was totally his fault, he brought it on himself, etc., but that too is fairly irrelevant.

• Agree x 11
    • Brofist x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. polo Liturgist

polo
    Parrots:
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:
    That is not a completely accurate statement.

We had Southpark, and shortly thereafter Armored Warfare. We were not in great shape, but we weren't in danger of closing.

What PoE did do, was give us a way to create and own our own IP, and it saved the jobs of a lot people. I am not diminishing what PoE Kickstarter accomplished, it was amazing and it was critical for putting us on a road to successfully being more independent

The PoE team are heroes (at least to me), their vision and their hardwork has been an inspiration to the rest of us and it inspires the Project Indiana team as well.

• Brofist x 17
    • incline x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    Parrots:
    Eric caught Chris at a bad time, is my guess. Read the response that led to Chris's reply. A lot of tension even in the original exchange and now it is obvious they didn't particularly get along after Eric's handling of the writing cuts, with Eric's defensive comments earlier making it worse. Unfortunate, but then again Obsidian seems to have a track record of getting its most talented writers to leave. Avellone, Ziets, Gonzalez, Fenstermaker, and according to Chris, Travis Stout. Now they've just got Sawyer, Carrie Patel, and ? Been noticing that for a while and it's what made me think they're going to have a hard time going forward selling themselves as story people.

• Agree Agree x 11
    ^ Top  
  14. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Truly broken and hopeless is one thing. The CEO pressuring Chris to sign an NDA and non-competition clause forbidding him from working on cRPGs is another thing altogether. That shit just wack, yo.

If there's one obvious thing about this whole mess is that it's taken years to fester, and there are going to be as many truths about that process as there are people involved in it. I stand by my conflict-avoidance theory until somebody comes up with a better one. Usual everyday workplace shit happened, then built up as everybody tiptoed around it, eventually leaving Chris was in a corner by himself doing his own thing, and when realities collided things got ugly. That's what really tests your mettle though, and there Feargus faceplanted big time. No doubt some or all of it could have been avoided earlier, but them's the breaks.

I also do feel that a company as big as Obsidian -- what, 200 and counting? -- does need clear, transparent, and enforced policy about how employees are treated: what are the criteria with which their performance is assessed, what's the expected career progression, what are the perks and expectations, and so on. If it's all down to individual bosses being humane, it'll never be applied equitably, and that leads to all kinds of hidden resentments and other bullshit. How are things there in this respect?

• Brofist x 6
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Anthony, I'm sure you can't divulge details, but just tell us. Is this topic, and Chris' comments are a hot topic right now at Obsidian? Just a yes or no answer will suffice. :) Or a Yes or disagree rating of my post. :D

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:

And I'm not going to talk about it. I try to be a positive person, and most of the time I think I succeed.

I am also not a founder, nor am I privy to founder happenings.

But culture flows from the top, and this is overall, a very positive place to work. Not perfect, but very positive.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 6
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    J_C They're not gonna show you the Big Board, dude.

• Funny Funny x 7
    ^ Top  
  18. Lycra Suit Learned

Lycra Suit
    Parrots:
    Yeah because they suck.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Thats not the doom and gloom image that transpired in the PoE documentary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:

Honestly, no. At least not at my level (the trenches).

• Informative x 3
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:

That doom and gloom was around the Stormlands team, and that was VERY real. The Stormlands team essentially became the PoE team.

The rest of the company was working on their projects.

Not that the other teams weren't worried or concerned.

The PoE Kickstarter really reinvigorated the company and I credit Adam and Sawyer for that 100%. EDIT: I should be more clear. I credit their VISION for the PoE and the Kickstarter. Obviously the owners signed off on it too.

• Informative x 10
    • Brofist x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    A positive environment is not necessarily a successful environment. In fact it does seem that a lack of appropriate negativity regarding the mismanagement and miscommunications led to the situation we are in now. A lot of pent up negativity that's lost by a top down undeserved positive approach that does not acknowledge employee concerns and conflicts.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    That doesn't contradict rumours of nepotism. You've been there 12 years, so you're part of the family and get treated well?

And one of the lead heroes thinks that traditional games and working on them sucks.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    I believe you, but people's perceptions also change based on circumstances. What feels positive to you might not to someone who is disillusioned for what may (or may not) be completely legitimate reasons.

The crew of the ship are usually happy when the sailing is smooth, but what happens when it gets rough? I'd say that's the true test of a company's character. Is it a positive place to depart from, for that matter?

If you all choose to keep mum about the circumstances of Chris' departure (and I have no doubt you have to, otherwise you'll get the rope there at the office), then all we've got to go on is his statement. Personally, I'm still heavily inclined to believe he isn't lying.

In other words, it's entirely possible to believe both of you.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hold on, hold on! Does this mean what I think it means? Does this mean that Feargus has an answer to the question we've all been after, all these years?

"What is an RPG?" Chris could have just stared at him with a straight face and asked him.

• Old Old x 14
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)