Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Mustawd

Someone should compile all of Chris Avellone's answers and the questions for future reference. Though do not include the causal remarks Chris makes, only the important ones. But that is just my suggestion.

Who the fuck are you?

Barnabas is this you being retarded? Heya. I'm Imoen! or some stupid shit?

RTwP is garbage.

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Actually, I might compile the statements myself and publish them on steam or reddit, whichever one I feel more comfortable with. Unless someone beats me to it, this is of course assuming Chris is okay with it.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
I'm gonna assume Mr. Avellone isn't worried about any potential fallout. Can't help but feel other people in the industry might worry about how they deal with him in the future.

Or it might just blow over like most dramas.

Quillon

Arcane
He misses good ol' Obs days and finally realized there is no turning back so BURN EVERYTHING MODE ON, prolly doesn't care or didn't think about what the rest of the industry will think about this :D

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm really surprised that this didn't get more coverage from mainstream media like kotaku since they usually report studios drama

Reporting one man's allegations without verifying with another source or at least getting a comment from Obsidian might not reach sufficient journalistic standards for the higher tier sites (yes, believe it or not). If nobody from Obsidian is willing to talk, there might be nothing.

I strongly disagree.

We are not talking about the guy who prepared the coffee, or some random QA guy with nothing on their resume. This is unfair, but the voice of Avelonne on this matter is news worthy, even if to conclude the article with a "we reached Obsidian for comment but they denied to answer.".
News pieces do not always need other sources ; if a higher profile says something absolutely incredible, it's news in itself. I mean, that he said it is news. The content of what he said is a topic, not fact.

Zakhad

Savant
Fallout 5: the fallout of this thread.

...which is probably the only fallout we'll ever see Chris working on again... :negative:

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A couple of thoughts from an old time Obsidian/BIS fanboy (or rather MCA fanboy I guess), I'm sure they've all been made by now but I feel like I have to put it here:

How fucked in the head do you have to be to mismanage your company to the degree that you drive away talent like MCA? How can you not in 10+ years figure out a way to put that talent to good use instead of side lining it? And on top of all that, how in the actual fuck do you manage to get into a situation where you have to blackmail your most talented team member to try to make him stay? Jesus christ.

Chris has always struck me as an honest fellow and a decent person, going out of his way to try NOT to put shade on people and companies in the games industry unless warranted. I'll take his word for the sorry state of OBS management. I acknowledge that what Davis posted is probably true as well, but that does in no way excuse Feargus and the rests treatment of MCA.

I'm really surprised that this didn't get more coverage from mainstream media like kotaku since they usually report studios drama

Reporting one man's allegations without verifying with another source or at least getting a comment from Obsidian might not reach sufficient journalistic standards for the higher tier sites (yes, believe it or not). If nobody from Obsidian is willing to talk, there might be nothing.

I strongly disagree.

We are not talking about the guy who prepared the coffee, or some random QA guy with nothing on their resume. This is unfair, but the voice of Avelonne on this matter is news worthy, even if to conclude the article with a "we reached Obsidian for comment but they denied to answer.".
News pieces do not always need other sources ; if a higher profile says something absolutely incredible, it's news in itself. I mean, that he said it is news. The content of what he said is a topic, not fact.

I'm pretty sure if you thought about it, everyone will agree that a forum avatar can't be taken for granted by any journalism pretending to be vaguely respectable. If he is willing to give an official statement that's a totally different story of course, and I highly doubt he isn't being asked for one right now.

Chris Avellone, my friend, I have an extra copy of Deadfire already paid for, would you be interested?

Last edited:

Bohr

Arcane
Damn thread, every time I think it's run its course and it's safe to resume regular productive activities... it sprouts 10 more pages

hO6BLyXT_o.png

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
A couple of thoughts from an old time Obsidian/BIS fanboy (or rather MCA fanboy I guess), I'm sure they've all been made by now but I feel like I have to put it here:

How fucked in the head do you have to be to mismanage your company to the degree that you drive away talent like MCA? How can you not in 10+ years figure out a way to put that talent to good use instead of side lining it? And on top of all that, how in the actual fuck do you manage to get into a situation where you have to blackmail your most talented team member to try to make him stay? Jesus christ.

Chris has always struck me as an honest fellow and a decent person, going out of his way to try NOT to put shade on people and companies in the games industry unless warranted. I'll take his word for the sorry state of OBS management. I acknowledge that what Davis posted is probably true as well, but that does in no way excuse Feargus and the rests treatment of MCA.
The glassdoor reviews already mentioned that some ppl are treated splendidly at Obsidian. They called it nepotism.
It's great that Tony Davis has good things to say and has no complaints - for now. Because, one day he might be the one who gets fucked big time. Perhaps he'll think differently then.

Developer
Hey Chris,

Long time lurker of the site here, I've finally taken the courage to make an account since you're answering questions.

I also have one for you:

I have met and talked to most of the cast you used for Planescape: Torment, however due to natural circumstances - Tony Jay passing on - I can never talk to/find out what kind of person is/was the person behind the voice of The Transcendent One.

In essence, my question is: as far as you remember what was Tony Jay like? How and what did he bring to the studio as you were recording? Any funny stories you can share that happened during the recording?

It's okay to say that he was a boring old man. I'm just curious.

Thank you very much in advance, and I hope that everything works out for you and your family.

sorinmask

Tony Jay was very professional in the studio. He smoked a lot, and I was worried he did it because it made his signature voice better. He was also very intimidatingly tall.

He also called us out and told us he hoped PST wasn't a game for children, since the Transcendent One was all about breaking bones, and reshaping people into new angles, and of course, generally unmaking people. It was my first embarrassment at my own writing and made me realize maybe I shouldn't be QUITE so cruel when I write lines.

We were able to get Tony b/c we had a Disney voice director who was amazing (and the other plus was, the voice director was seen as someone who could get further Disney work, which EVERY voice actor wanted, which helped - he was also an amazing voice director, one of the best I've ever worked with). But ultimately, working with Tony Jay was wonderful, and he will be forever missed.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The glassdoor reviews already mentioned that some ppl are treated splendidly at Obsidian. They called it nepotism.
It's great that Tony Davis has good things to say and has no complaints - for now. Because, one day he might be the one who gets fucked big time. Perhaps he'll think differently then.
Here is the rule of the world: you either fuck or get fucked. If you belong to the fucking group, any complaints from the fucked part will sound like childish crying to you. It's simply as that. But to any bystander with a modicum of common sense the "let's fucking him" part is crystal clear, especially if the fucked dude is more talented than the others. It doesn't get more complicated than that. Anthony Davis can bring all the personal stories he wants. They treated Avellone, one of the best developers in the industry, like a dog, in his own studio, in one of the worst moments of his life, while at the same time prentending that he was a big name heavily involved in the project. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't buy Pillars to play Olivia Veras and Carrie Patel quets. Anthony Davis can bring all the stories he wants. At the end of the day he can't hide under the carpet that they marginalized one of the best names of the industry inside his own studio. If he takes the side of the people who did this I have no sympathy for him.

Last edited:
Developer
Man leaves a company, cannot post from his work account anymore.

What a shocking development.

It actually was a surprise, since I was told it was okay - then suddenly, not.

When "not" happened and I realized I couldn't access my account, I asked it be deleted, and they refused and was told it was impossible to delete my account. Which I suspect was an untruth because the delete function is... like... basic functionality.

Overall, it was.... weird. But I have faith Darren Monahan, holder and keeper of the Backer Portal for Pillars knows the truth.

Also, your user name - provided you aren't Darren, which is a legitimate question - always makes me laugh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom