Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Rev Arcane

Rev
    Chris Avellone how could you just lose the ownership of the company you co-founded just like that and get nothing in return? Don't you have a lawyer or something?
    I don't know how it works in the USA, but where I live I think it's a bit harder to rob someone of his equity shares just like that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    Not only is it legal, but it is common in small business disputes, for the majority share holder to remove minority share holders from the company.

The only legal issue would've been taking away his shares - that is not usually legal without abuse.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    [​IMG]

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm no legal expert and I will never become one, but every time I read a new post by Chris Avellone about what happened, I can only think [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 15
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Maybe he doesn't feel worth it to get lawyered up and spend the next years in and out of court. All of that can be merciless and exhausting. He seems to be too busy enjoying his new freedom.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cross Savant

Cross
    You didn't think it was relevant to mention the fact that Feargus took away your co-ownership and robbed you of your royalties when you were describing the sordid details of how you left Obsidian?

Are there any other incidental human right violations Obsidian commited that we should be aware of?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Feargus reaction:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 23
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Rev Arcane

Rev
    He's obviously not happy with how things turned out, though, so maybe it would've been worth it to do something more about it.

^ Top  
  9. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    I figured the other partners diluted him (a la how Mark Zuckerberg forced out his roomy in The Social Network). They just create new shares and divide them among themselves, leaving MCA out. So maybe Chris had 5 shares out of a hundred, they could make it so he has 5 shares out of 10 million, making his position effectively worthless without technically taking anything away from him. But it sounds even simpler than that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    It depends on the entity and the agreement. Avellone did not mention shares, and so I am inclined to think he meant a right to the profits and losses. There could be an agreement to give him a share of the profits and losses without granting shares, ownership control, equity stake, etc.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Irata Learned

Irata
    I'm stunned at what happened if he was an actual partner. I just can't believe that "owner" isn't being used as a synonym for founder. Was he liable for the company's debts? Even in a limited capacity? If so and he had no equity then he should sue his lawyer. I'm not trying to be a dick, but someone screwed him over big time, and knew they were screwing him, if he was an actual co-owner. I'm not even sure it would be legal.

^ Top  
  12. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Owner/founder are just laymen words people use. What really matters is how a partnership or LLC or etc agreement is structured. You can call a group a people "founders" for example, but likely only the portion who put in capital to form the business are Majority Partners.

https://business-law.freeadvice.com/business-law/corporations/expel-minor-partner-from-business.htm

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    Doing this to dilute the value of his shares would open Obsidian up to law suits, as they'd have to prove there was no conflict of interest when it was done, and it'd also require them to buy the new shares as otherwise their own share of the company is also reduced. The best way to remove a minority share holder from a company is to simply have a share holder agreement, signed at the company's creation, that allows them to buy out his shares at a previously agreed upon price. I don't know whether that applies in this case. Failing the existence of such an agreement, they could try to merge with a new company to do a freeze out. But I don't think that happened.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Holy crap Chris Avellone, that latest post makes my blood boil. You handled that like a champ.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Rage Rage x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Puteo Learned

Puteo
    Do you think he just accidentally left these details out? That the greatest videogame writer of all time just so happens to slip in a new bombshell bigger than the last every time it seems like the action is over and the drama is dying down?

Oh no, this is 100% planned. Maybe not the timing of it, but he's probably got his plot beats all planned out for maximum impact. I imagine we're going to get another boss fight soon.

Just sit back and enjoy Mr. Avellone's wild ride

:drink:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Mebrilia Scholar

Mebrilia
    Hey Chris "Endure in enduring grow strong"

• Brofist x 5
    • Creative x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    I'm pretty sure if he invited "someone" from OBS upper management he'd start by playing them Huey Lewis and the news.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Hamster Arcane Patron

Hamster
    Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    Actually they are Chris Avellone's buddies in the Russian Mob now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-is-no-longer-working-on-armored-warfare/

• Informative x 4
    • incline x 3
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Irata Learned

Irata
    Right, but if he's being labeled a partner then he can be individually sued over the companies debts. He'd then have to sue the other members on his own. Why would he allow that and get no benefits?

^ Top  
  20. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Crooked Feargus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    A shareholder agreement is possible, but Avellone never mentioned shares or forced buybacks of stock. Furthermore, I would be curious how a buyback would leave him with no compensation for it.

He made it sound like a revocable right at the discretion of a stakeholder.

As far as I know Obsidian (i.e., Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.) is a corporation and not a partnership entity.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    The question is how many shares he had in the company; and what were done to those. Profit sharing is legally required for all share holders, so not paying him any fraction from the company's profits would generally be illegal, but it'd depend on the share holder agreement. Now, in case owner is just being used as a title, and he didn't actually have ANY shares, then technically ... Feargus could do whatever he wanted with the company and Chris would have zero say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    The agreement could specify the share price, which might be peanuts due to it being an outdated price or just because fuck you.

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    The more I read Chris' posts the more I wonder why "Obsidian Upper Management" didn't just hire a hitman - guess they really enjoy twisting the knife. And the money.

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    As I said earlier:

Or some variation of that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)