Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Dyspaire

Cipher
Monster Summoning VI: Urquhart

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
These documents appear to suggest that the relatively unknown fifth Obsidian owner, Chris Jones, has the same lesser status as Chris Avellone. Neither is signed.
Do you mean Christopher Rose, the registered agent, or Christopher Parker who serves on the board of directors?

A registered agent, for many states, it just someone whom service of process can be served upon. It does not need to be an owner per se. Furthermore, the esquire designation likely means it was the attorney who set up the entity and filed documents with the California State Corporation Commission.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Mustawd

Maybe, though, their stated mechanism for valuation puts them at zero.

That'd be weird. What a shit deal.

Anyways, in case anyone is interested:

Shareholders' agreements
Shareholders' agreements are relatively rare in companies whose stock is publicly traded, but they are prevalent in privately owned companies. That's because minority shareholders can create substantial problems in a small-company context, especially when they seek to sell or transfer their shares to third-party buyers.

To protect against potentially problematic situations, a shareholders' agreement can specify certain conditions under which one shareholder must sell shares to fellow shareholders or back to the company. For instance, some companies give the company the right of first refusal to buy back shares that pass to an heir after the death of a shareholder. Other agreements can force a sale based on other conditions, such as a merger offer or a change of control among corporate leadership.

The agreement will often set the amount of compensation that the selling shareholders will receive for their shares. In some cases, the payment the selling shareholders will get won't necessarily reflect the current fair value of the shares, but they will reflect a formula that all shareholders will have agreed upon when they initially signed the agreement.

Forced sales among shareholders aren't all that common, and in most cases, shareholders are happy to sell shares in situations involving acquisitions.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
These documents appear to suggest that the relatively unknown fifth Obsidian owner, Chris Jones, has the same lesser status as Chris Avellone. Neither is signed.
DO you mean Christopher Rose, the registered agent, or Christopher Parker who serves on the board of directors?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Jones_(game_developer)

Not to be confused with the Tex Murphy Chris Jones.
I misunderstood you Infini, my bad!

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which Financial Information Must a Corporation Provide to its Shareholders?:

California Corporations Code Section 1601 says, in relevant part (emphasis added), that “[t]he accounting books and records of any domestic corporation, and of any foreign corporation keeping any such records in this state or having its principal executive office in this state, shall be open to inspection upon the written demand on the corporation of any shareholder . . . during usual business hours, for a purpose reasonably related to such holder’s interests as a shareholder . . . . Such inspection . . . may be made in person or by agent or attorney, and the right of inspection includes the right to copy and make extracts.”

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

California Corporations Code Section 1601 says, in relevant part (emphasis added), that “[t]he accounting books and records of any domestic corporation, and of any foreign corporation keeping any such records in this state or having its principal executive office in this state, shall be open to inspection upon the written demand on the corporation of any shareholder . . . during usual business hours, for a purpose reasonably related to such holder’s interests as a shareholder . . . . Such inspection . . . may be made in person or by agent or attorney, and the right of inspection includes the right to copy and make extracts.”
The right to an accounting and records is pretty standard, but I think the preliminary issue to clear is whether MCA was a shareholder to begin with. A mere employee granted a share to the profits is not afforded the rights of a shareholder.

Edit: I must go, I have spent all my autism bucks on this thread and need to go refill. Hopefully, MCA comes back and clarifies, because I know everyone's favorite topic at the moment is the subject of incorporation, various business entities, and shareholder rights!

Azarkon

Arcane

The right to an accounting and records is pretty standard, but I think the preliminary issue to clear is whether MCA was a shareholder to begin with. A mere employee granted a share to the profits is not afforded the rights of a shareholder.

Indeed, and unfortunately, this might be the case, should we assume the only share holders are the three listed under the board of directors.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't be silly, how was he threatened?
Shut up, Feargus. Do you want to be tagged?

I have many clients
shitposter.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Let me just remind people here that I openly stated in multiple topics I will no longer support Obsidian financially before this whole interview happened. So before it was cool to do the same.
I am the true Obsidian hater hipster.

Irata

Scholar
Since he walked away with absolutely nothing, and I can't see that happening, I'm going to assume that "owner" or "partner" was only an honorary title and not a legal one.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is getting really interesting. So, according to Chris, Feargus invoked an ability to take away Chris' share with no or next to no compensation.

Chris hadn't even signified he wanted to leave the company.

After being "de-ownered", he announced he is leaving, and then Feargus presented him with a very confining separation agreement. Chris refused to sign that, and hence lost the compensation provided in that agreement, leaving the company like any other employee.

In turn he retained the ability to talk about Obsidian, which he is now using.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
No – after raising some questions about company finances and other issues, Feargus de-ownered me (which I didn’t have a choice in)
:what:
It is incredible.
Can you elaborate on this? How was it even legally possible?

Edit: by "incredible" I don't mean that I don't believe. Only that I am flabbergasted.

Not only is it legal, but it is common in small business disputes, for the majority share holder to remove minority share holders from the company.

The only legal issue would've been taking away his shares - that is not usually legal without abuse.

Two years ago I was of a mind to bring up to three co-founders with me (all of them personal friends). I ended up not doing it because I envisioned the possibility of this kind of situation.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Next question, from a complete layman - aren't the grounds on which Feargus de-owned Chris disputable in civil court?

Azarkon

Arcane
Depends on whether he had shares, and what was done to them. Profit sharing without shares is a benefit the board of directors can easily take away without any compensation.

Irata

Scholar
I like how thread begins to turn into studying documents and addresses. Wanna bet on how low can we go? :shittydog:

We could start accusing a random person of being the Boston Marathon bomber with no evidence.

Parabalus

Arcane
Next question, from a complete layman - aren't the grounds on which Feargus de-owned Chris disputable in civil court?

Infinitron had the gist of it, who knows what Chris signed back in 2003 when he made the company. Especially with the many revelations about "Obsidian Upper Management", it truly may have been a deal with the devil. Add that the "very,very expensive" Obsidian lawyer to the mix too.

Ohmsquare

Novice
Articles of Incorporation below in case anyone is interested (probably no one :negative:)

xwVZC1S.png

I wouldn't, because it is poor form. Furthermore, the intent behind the addresses (from 2009) are to help potential plaintiffs and not troll officers that may have nothing to do with this.

So that's it? Just one page with no bylaws and association articles whatsoever? Is that common in US corp. law?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Oh, that's quite clear that he has no legal case to speak off. If he had, this thread wouldn't exist, as the first words he would hear out of a mouth of a lawyer would be to get the fuck off the internet.

Mustawd

Articles of Incorporation below in case anyone is interested (probably no one :negative:)

I wouldn't, because it is poor form. Furthermore, the intent behind the addresses (from 2009) are to help potential plaintiffs and not troll officers that may have nothing to do with this.

So that's it? Just one page with no bylaws and association articles whatsoever? Is that common in US corp. law?

It's just the articles of incorporation. The bylaws are in another document.

Here's an example of a template for AoI:

articles-of-incorporation-template-standart-photograph-1-fill-in-the-blanks-2-customize-3-save-as-print-share-sign-done.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom