Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Colin McComb on Writing for Torment: Tides of Numenera

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It has to be better than PST

It does? I want something that blows me away like PST did. Beyond that? Well. Gravy.

MCA
At any rate, but especially considering the literary hacks involved with the game, I hope it will be a game first and an interactive novel last.

I loved Planescape: Torment. Planescape: Torment was an inspiring narrative first, and a game second. A fault it had, to be sure, but even so, it is one of my absolute favourite games of all time.

I won't say that I hope T:ToN a shitty game in the ways PS:T was, but I will say that I want something like Planescape: Torment. If it lives up to its heritage, any bonuses on the gameplay-side of things is strictly delicious gravy.

Hence, their focus on a writing team and writing in pre-production suits me just fine. I find that some people here want the exact same game from each Kickstarter - his or her personal favourite. I don't think that's a realistic or beneficial way of thinking (for anyone).

If you're not interested in an RtWP IE-like, why are you following Project Eternity? If you're not interested in a heavily story-driven RPG where the narrative always comes first, why are you following T:ToN?

That way of looking at it makes the most sense to me.

Except PST didn't have shitty fantasy fanfic or erotica writers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
At any rate, but especially considering the literary hacks involved with the game, I hope it will be a game first and an interactive novel last.

I loved Planescape: Torment. Planescape: Torment was an inspiring narrative first, and a game second. A fault it had, to be sure, but even so, it is one of my absolute favourite games of all time.

I won't say that I hope T:ToN a shitty game in the ways PS:T was, but I will say that I want something like Planescape: Torment. If it lives up to its heritage, any bonuses on the gameplay-side of things is strictly delicious gravy.

Hence, their focus on a writing team and writing in pre-production suits me just fine. I find that some people here want the exact same game from each Kickstarter - his or her personal favourite. I don't think that's a realistic or beneficial way of thinking (for anyone).

If you're not interested in an RtWP IE-like, why are you following Project Eternity? If you're not interested in a heavily story-driven RPG where the narrative always comes first, why are you following T:ToN?

Do you want to discuss the quality of the writing team or whether the game should emphazise mechanics over story? Pick one.

I won't discuss the first topic since I don't know shit about most of the writers. That's why I replied to your post which made a statement about the second.

When your reply is about something else entirely, does that mean you concede to my point or that you're simply flailing about in multiple topics?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Instead it just had one fat nerd whose resume consisted of being a designer on the masterpiece Descent to Undermountain. :smug:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because Kevin and Colin are obviously going to allow everything to be thrown in. Creative control? Fuck that, we've got actual published authors on board, let's keep everything.

PS personally I would be more concerned about that Nathan Explosion Long, his major claim to literary fame is continuing an abandoned WH tie-in novels series.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Because Kevin and Colin are obviously going to allow everything to be thrown in. Creative control? Fuck that, we've got actual published authors on board, let's keep everything.

PS personally I would be more concerned about that Nathan Explosion Long, his major claim to literary fame is continuing an abandoned WH tie-in novels series.
At the wrap up party for Torment there were people who were really excited about his work on Wasteland. He also seemed like a really cool guy. I think he gave the only interesting interview at the party. Sill, the proof will be in the pudding.

Rake

Arcane

Instead it just had one fat nerd whose resume consisted of being a designer on the masterpiece Descent to Undermountain. :smug:
:mca:

MCA

Do you want to discuss the quality of the writing team or whether the game should emphazise mechanics over story? Pick one.

I won't discuss the first topic since I don't know shit about most of the writers. That's why I replied to your post which made a statement about the second.

When your reply is about something else entirely, does that mean you concede to my point or that you're simply flailing about in multiple topics?

I would love another game of PST's caliber, even with some of the same flaws. However, given the possibility, I would very much prefer one without those flaws, one where the game mechanics themselves tied into the narrative beautifully, which is what they are aiming at. However, I very much doubt the possibility of the first alone when some of the people involved (on demand!) are hacks who put out juvenile crap so the latter is more probable and realistic, I guess.

Unproven potential > proven suckage until proven to also suck.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Most writers produce shit before they write something good. Also, don't underestimate focused leadership in herding the creative talents of these people. I was very skeptical of Colin at first, but that bitch done won me over.

Descent to Undermountain, agian.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Amen.

But still: we can't do anything but speculate, and that's what these threads are for, ain't it?
Oh for sure, for sure.

I was just qualifying my comments on Long. After all, I don't want to look like a fool on the internet right?

Zeriel

Arcane
Wise Man's Fear. I Dickie-fied it, the actual line is "I exploded, my voice a roll of thunder."

That sounds like erotica.

"I exploded. ALL OVER HER FACE. What price must be paid for one orgasm?"

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I want Torment 2 to have the same narrative:combat ratio as Torment 1
I want Torment 2 to improve the combat parts that do exist by removing stupid ass radial menus, adding a hotbar, and giving enemies abilities other than "melee attack" and "direct damage elemental spell"

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Man.

For all of Roguey's projection of:

:smug:

At the end of the day it reveals itself to be not much more than:

:kingcomrade:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Man.

cklr3.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Man.

:kingcomrade:
I don't see what's so "fat kid drinking soda" about wanting McComb to justify the existence of a controversial feature.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see what's so "fat kid drinking soda" about wanting McComb to justify the existence of a controversial feature.

My barb appears to have missed your skin. Oh well.

"I'm better than things #smugmoticon"

followed by:

"I spend my free time stalking marginally interesting people"

Just seems sort of...sad, Roguey. If you were a friend I think I'd be having an intervention right about now. But it ain't really my concern so what you get instead is a lighthearted trollpost and its explanation. You're welcome?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wouldn't panic too much about the hacks; single work collaborations are almost like having n-1 editors instead of just one (it does tend to lose the 'personal touch', which is often just grammatical oddities). Now, if only they take it seriously and read each-others output (especially the game designers).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

My barb appears to have missed your skin. Oh well.

"I'm better than things #smugmoticon"

followed by:

"I spend my free time stalking marginally interesting people"

Just seems sort of...sad, Roguey. If you were a friend I think I'd be having an intervention right about now. But it ain't really my concern so what you get instead is a lighthearted trollpost and its explanation. You're welcome?
E-stalking is a hobby like any other. Something only requires intervention if it causes harm to one's self or others, and this doesn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom