Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Dreadline, Party-Based Monster ARPG by Ex-Irrational Games, Ex-Harmonix Devs

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey everyone. Thanks for checking it out.

I could see the game not having enough depth for ultra hardcore RPG fans. There isn't going to be mounds of loot falling off humans to decorate your monster with.

That's a shame. As a hardcore RPG fan I miss being able to collect mounds of loot to decorate my character with like in the Gold Box games. Jaesun would probably agree with me that collecting loot is the crux of the hardcore RPG experience..:M

Hey everyone. Thanks for checking it out.

I could see the game not having enough depth for ultra hardcore RPG fans. There isn't going to be mounds of loot falling off humans to decorate your monster with. The group dynamic does allow for a lot of different strategic options that aren't possible in a traditional ARPG though. And yeah, likaq, I don't like clickfests either. It makes my finger hurt.
Big fan of Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs Third Reich, here.
Please, don't play with words, it's not about being "ultra hardcore". it's about knowing the first thing about what makes these kind of games good to play and enjoyable.
A party-based game in real time and WITHOUT any form of tactical pause can turn out just in two ways: an unplayable furious mess or a dull game without nowhere near enough tactical depth to keep these party-based fights interesting.
And let's be honest: no one is expecting this to turn out like the next Ultima VII, so if the combat isn't interesting, there's nothing interesting at all.

I've seen another beta going the same root recently. Krater, from Fatshark. They talked a lot about "how they like old school RPG" and then gave us that abort to betatest. You control three characters in real time without any pause and all you have to do is to spam some stupid hotkey associated with a cooldown all the way.
The game will be launched this august and it's the most dull thing I played in a while.

Do you actually want to make a "fast, furious, exciting party-based game"? Then look at DOTA 2 and give us something similar, BUT controlling a party and with tactical pause.
Of course, we both know that's not going to happen, so I won't even bother keeping an eye on this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom