Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: George Ziets on Eternity, Torment, and crafting worlds

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn; Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal; Baldur's Gate III (Obsidian Entertainment); Dungeon Siege III; Fallout: New Vegas; George Ziets; King of Dragon Pass; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; The Elder Scrolls Online; Torment: Tides of Numenera

9791.png

We are lucky George Ziets managed to leave a strong mark on the world of CRPGs during his adventures at Obsidian Entertainment. Were it not for his phenomenal work on Mask of the Betrayer, perhaps we would not have seen him as a double Kickstarter stretch-goal superstar. Regardless, here we are with Ziets taking on both Project Eternity and the world of Numenera, and we couldn't be happier.

Mr Ziets, being no stranger to taking questions from random people, was the perfect candidate for an RPG Codex feature. In this interview, we ask him about his approach to game design, his influences, ideas, writing, and of course the games he has been involved with in the past (including NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer and the upcoming The Elder Scrolls Online) and present (Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera) -- and perhaps future.

Have an excerpt:

You've mentioned that you were hoping to get a chance to work on some of Project Eternity's area design in addition to your various writing duties. Has that come about? Did you have any personal design philosophies or ideas you were hoping to bring to that particular arena?

PE is still in preproduction, so that hasn’t happened yet. I’ve mainly been contributing to world and story design.

I think of area design as another form of storytelling. So the first thing I do is determine the central narrative of the area. What story (or stories) are we trying to tell? And what kind of setting or atmosphere are we trying to convey? Once those questions are answered, I have a context, and everything – main quest, side quests, NPC chatter, etc. – should arise from that. Even the smallest details can (and should) be used to communicate story and setting, so that the area feels like a unified whole.

Baldur’s Gate 2 generally did this well. When I traveled to each of the major areas (Umar Hills, De’arnise Keep, etc.), I felt like I was entering a coherent side story – a self-contained D&D module - where all the dialogues and quests were focused on telling the area’s story and/or the player’s own. That’s what we tried to do on MotB, too.

I look at quests through a similar lens. Every quest is an opportunity to explore another facet of the narrative. We should use them to deepen the player’s experience of the area’s story and setting and explore how different people/factions would react to the same events. I don’t think we should ever have to resort to “generic” quests in a well-designed RPG.

Is your creative process in any way affected by simultaneously writing for both Eternity and Torment? Have you had any problems managing your ideas? For instance, that one project bleeds into another? Are there things that would work in Eternity, but that would absolutely not work in Torment (or vice versa)?

Not really. The two worlds are very different from one another. Despite its exotic nature, Torment feels closer to science fiction or post-apocalyptic fiction to me, especially to Gene Wolfe’s New Sun series. Eternity, on the other hand, is firmly rooted in fantasy and historical traditions, and in my opinion, it feels closer to the Forgotten Realms or the Malazan Books of the Fallen (with some notable differences).

I tend to base my designs heavily on setting and story context, so I haven’t had any trouble with overlap so far.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Interview: George Ziets on Eternity, Torment, and crafting worlds

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You know this was probably the only chance for someone to ask him when he was going to get a normal haircut and cut out the hipster crap. Thanks a lot Zed.

Drowed

Arcane
You contributed writing for Fallout: New Vegas. What are your thoughts on the Wasteland from a creative writing point-of-view? What are its strengths and weaknesses? If you were to design a new Fallout, where would you like to take the series?

[A lot of praise, then...]

The downside of Fallout? Well… true to its opening monologue, Fallout never changes. A century or two after the bombs fell, people are still scavenging for junk in ruined supermarkets, living in bombed-out shells of buildings, and most of the world still looks like a dull gray wasteland. The survival game isn’t all that compelling to me anymore.

What I do find interesting are all the tribes and factions – Great Khans, Twisted Hairs, New Canaanites. Where did they come from, how do they survive, how do they relate to one another?

So if I could design another Fallout game… I might not design a traditional RPG at all. Instead, think of a strategy-RPG hybrid like King of Dragon Pass – set in the Fallout universe. You’re placed in the role of the tribe’s leaders, responsible for establishing a home base, keeping your people safe and fed, exploring the surrounding wasteland, and managing relations with other tribes and factions.

Wow, I want to play this.

And great job on this interview! :bro:

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
One of my colleagues and I would decry the decline of RPGs over our weekly Indian buffet, and we genuinely thought we were the last of a dying breed (the Codex notwithstanding)… but fortunately, we were wrong.

:salute:

Interactive storytelling is still my favorite medium. I’d much rather create a story and a world and let the audience experience them on their own terms, make their own choices about them, and see how those choices change their experience. Probably that’s because I got my start in storytelling as a DM, which is an inherently collaborative experience.

I too found pouring creativity into GMing a corrupting influence (so to speak) - interactivity is generally more exciting, engaging, motivating, rewarding, etc.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If MCA is our one and only true God, is then Ziets a saint?

Or are we polytheistic?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Great questions, and a bunch of nice lengthy answers.
I like Ziets exactly because he seems like a proper game writer whose roots were in an interactive medium, and not some hack writer that would rather be doing something else. Having a healthy disdain for bland high fantasy doesn't do him any harm either. I'm really hoping that at some point in the future he gets the chance to approach the lead on a project without any constraints.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wonder what their supported alignments and domains are...

Edit:

Chris Avellone

:mca:

MCA, the Emperor

Symbol: a bottle of booze
Home Plane: plane of bars
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Portfolio: Conflict, Dualism, Inversion of Tropes, Deception, Ambiguity, Alcoholism
Worshipers: storyfags, Codexites, shut-ins
Favored Weapon: "Wellspring of Ideas" (bottle of beer)
Cleric Alignments: NG, CG, LN

George Ziets

9791.png

George, hipster-hair, who?

Symbol: a keyboard and a quill, crossed over
Home Plane: the lands of dreams and musings
Alignment: Neutral Good
Portfolio: Melancholy, Determinism, Futility, Hope, Despair, Struggle, Growth, Wisdom, Love
Worshipers: storyfags, Codexites, shut-ins, the depressed
Favored Weapon: "Hairdo of the Muse" (entangling hair)
Cleric Alignments: LG, NG, CG, N

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fucking fantastic article. :salute:

Loves turn based combat :bro:
Mentions KotDP multiple times :bro:
Likes the beginning of stories to be interesting :bro:

Ziets needs to be the creative lead on a kickstarter.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Zed, I mean you no offense but I cannot brofist you unless you are somewhat responsible for this interview. Tell me true.

Also, fucking hell. Reading this:

So if I could design another Fallout game… I might not design a traditional RPG at all. Instead, think of a strategy-RPG hybrid like King of Dragon Pass – set in the Fallout universe. You’re placed in the role of the tribe’s leaders, responsible for establishing a home base, keeping your people safe and fed, exploring the surrounding wasteland, and managing relations with other tribes and factions.

You’d mold the future of your tribe by plundering knowledge from Vaults and ruins and deciding whether to utilize that knowledge/technology or keep it hidden from your people. Revealing old world secrets would always have consequences, both positive (e.g., economic or military benefits) and negative (e.g., jealousy or fear from your neighbors). Unearthing stories from the old world might unlock opportunities to change the organization and personality of your tribe - think of how old-world stories opened possibilities for Caesar or the Three Families. You’d also choose how to feed and supply your people - by looting ruins, raiding other tribes, or trying to rediscover secrets of agriculture and animal husbandry from the Vaults. Ultimately, you’d have to decide how to survive in the face of external threats. Would you build a slave empire like Caesar, establish a democratic federation of tribes, or just turn to cannibalism and prey on your neighbors? It may or may not have mass market appeal… but I’d play that game.

And fucking knowing we're going to get this instead:

:hearnoevil: :balance:

What a joke the franchise has become.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Congrats on the interview, can't wait to read it at work fuck out of the office the whole day, well tonight then.

Great job in putting the prestigious back into prestigious magazine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom