Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: George Ziets on Eternity, Torment, and crafting worlds

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This guy sounds too good to be true. I bet he does not really exist and has been conceived by The Codex' insane subconscious when the hivemind was not able to withstand the decline any longer and descended into madness.

That would also explain how we managed to score an interview with him.

Indeed, it's almost as if he had a checklist provided to him; that interview is basically a well coordinated barrage of Incline directed right at Codex's pleasure centers

OH MY GOD IT'S HEAVAN

Tigranes

Arcane
This guy sounds too good to be true. I bet he does not really exist and has been conceived by The Codex' insane subconscious when the hivemind was not able to withstand the decline any longer and descended into madness.

Indeed, it's almost as if he had a checklist provided to him; that interview is basically a well coordinated barrage of Incline directed right at Codex's pleasure centers

OH MY GOD IT'S HEAVAN

No, no, it's meant to create the ultimate despair due to the fact that he's a freelancer and will not have a lead role + resources to do any of that shit. After he creates a tantalising but unfulfilled area in P:E he will go write the backstory for Diablo 4, prompting a decade of Codex speculation about what might have been.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

OH MY GOD IT'S HEAVAN

No, no, it's meant to create the ultimate despair due to the fact that he's a freelancer and will not have a lead role + resources to do any of that shit. After he creates a tantalising but unfulfilled area in P:E he will go write the backstory for Diablo 4, prompting a decade of Codex speculation about what might have been.

Speculating on what might have been is still far more enjoyable than most cRPG games released in the last few years.

:troll:

My approach to a TES game probably won’t surprise anyone. I’d take the player to someplace they’ve never seen before – preferably to one of the regions that doesn’t resemble Western Europe. Someplace that sets up the player as a stranger in a strange land. Maybe Elsweyr, Valenwood, or Black Marsh… or even across the sea to Akavir, which supposedly has monkey people, vampiric serpents, and may hold the secrets of the Blades’ origins. I think a story of exploration and first contact (e.g., using the East Empire Company) could be fun, and it’s something I rarely see in RPGs.

naki02.jpg

Sounds like Albion to me.
:troll:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Look, I for one don't care about MCA loving or hating Arcanum- as long as he makes games I enjoy.
Chances are if we knew everything about our God we'd be appalled.

Imagine, maybe he does his work on a Macintosh!!!!!!!!!!!
I know this thought is horrible to bear- but it just demonstrates that some things are best left unknown. No wonder he never wanted to LP that game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Good interview. :thumbsup:

But you don't need to act like a bunch of faggots just because Ziets shares similar opinions, control yourselves FFS

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gonna be cross with you, what good RPGs have those Belgians ever made?

Divine Divinity is... an okay game with a terrible first dungeon.
Dragon Knight Saga is... an action-RPG with terribly dull parts.

Sure, they are always bros when people talk to them, but... what have they done for us that would elevate them to the status of gods? Have they ever written something the likes of Mask of the Betrayer or PS:T? Have they made a TB old-school game that we've always been craving? I never got our enthusiasm for them, or why you somehow managed to scrape together 10K for them when we can't even support actual TB games for half the amount.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I'm actually agreeing with you, that all the RPG heroes most likely do have features about them that wouldn't be CodexHivemind-approved, if you will. As for Swen, I'm just alluding to that poll where Larian got the most votes for "who's your new messiah?".

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Sure, they are always bros when people talk to them, but... what have they done for us that would elevate them to the status of gods?
For all the "we don't give a shit" attitude here, there's nothing the codex likes more than being acknowledged. To enter the codex pantheon you only need to have worked on a CRPG or two and mention the codex in a positive fashion somewhere.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
My question about why you guys like Larian so much is entirely serious, by the way, and I'd love to hear a few replies that explain

* what good games they have made
* which of the features in them make you think that they are a good, Codex-approved developer

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My question about why you guys like Larian so much is entirely serious, by the way, and I'd love to hear a few replies that explain

* what good games they have made
* which of the features in them make you think that they are a good, Codex-approved developer
Maybe it's more about what they are trying to do now?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
In that case I want to remind all of us about how we always whine about bad track records every time someone semi-big claims to try to do something vaguely Codex-approved.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Nothing, I was just curious. Continue the Ziets worship.
Also, derailing threads is a long-standing tradition.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fucking rainbows and sunshine, it takes at least 3 pages these days for some shithead to deflate the mood with some forced cynicism that believes itself to be clear thought and lucidity. Good thing the resident assholes are not finding any other way to deal with their personal frustrations

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
Quality of games dropped while the number of people working on projects increased from a 20-30 (PoR, RoA and notice the 8 year gap and jump in overall quality) to hundreds working on a fucking hiking simulator.
It tells you a lot about the current state of the industry and how much influence producers, execs and publishers have over projects. In this interview Zeits dropped few ideas for games that seem fresh even though they are based on existing ideas/games. People who think like that should run the studios no the guys who don't even play games or are not interested in developing anything new. They can kill the best, most daring and challenging ideas that could invigorate the stale market while simultaneously treating projects like some fast-food-style, mass-marketable products. Basically the same thing is happening to the film industry as described in this talk by Steven Soderbergh. And while possible solutions are still in the cradle stage as Dan Harmon pointed out at XOXO, we are far from breaking away from the powerful money grabbing claws of the suits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom