Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Serpent in the Staglands (Now on Kickstarter)

Monty

Arcane
Do you have to try so hard?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder how much time hiver had to work for his.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
a35a1e268c6c0e307708dd58686fa493_large.gif

:D

Explorerbc

Arcane
I hate it when people treat the KS comments section like a chatbox and fill it with stuff nobody cares about.

The project looks promising, the art style is great. I am not a big fan of rtwp but I can live with it. Plus it is already delivering drama just a few days after its announcement.

himmy

Arcane
The look and feel of the world are meant to be Romanian / Transylvanian.

Taking Favored Enemy: Bear , Haggle and Protection from Undead skills straight from character creation.

Cynic

Arcane
Lots to like about the look of the game and atmosphere so far.

Why the fuck would you make it RTwP?

Sigh.

kazgar

Arcane
No mention of the Codex Campaign to raise $500 and get a monster in this game anywhere?

I'm not very good at visiting the front page, I'm sure others are similar.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Looks like a pretty cool game. Diggin' the visuals in particular, they look retro in a good way, which is becoming rarer and rarer amongst hipster indie developers.

Ironically, a number of comments in response to Dawn's communique tend to support her view of rudeness, insularity, and an elitist attitude being rather common traits here.

There's nothing ironic about it, this is simply how the Codex is. That doesn't make her reaction to this any less silly.

Last edited:

A user named cat

I don't have much interest or hope in this RTwMenopause thing but I'm not looking to Skyway the thread up since there's plenty of enthusiasm here.

However I'd just like to remind everyone of another very pretty pixel art game that donned the proper jacket and prefaced with the right words but ultimately was shallow shit with terrible internet writing and completely wasted potential.

Repressed Homosexual
Come on, the guys who made Darklands made serious historical research. They were true computer engineers at the very top of their games who knew what they were doing. Not hipsters doing mobile pixel art games. This is 100% guaranteed to be tremendously disappointing and severely downgraded in scope like nearly all other Kickstarter projects.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come on, the guys who made Darklands made serious historical research. They were true computer engineers at the very top of their games

Yes, yes, HHR, we get it.

It amuses me that you keep lionizing the game developers of the past, though. Do you even know how game development teams looked like back then, in the 80s and early 90s? Think beard. Lots of beard. Today's pixel art hipsters at least look clean cut and respectable.

The Christian conservatives of the time saw them as pot-smoking slackers who encouraged devil worship. You would have hated them.

set

Cipher
The art is pretty and I've never understood the detestation of rtwp (it's a lot faster moving some some sluggish tbs games, especially if lots of trash encounters are in the game). But the creators' comments, their inexperience, and the low funding goal assure me that this isn't worth backing. Unless they're making this game in Uganda, there's no way $10k is a reasonable funding goal, unless this game is something they plan to string together over 5 years worth of weekends.

Definitely have no faith left in KS either. I wouldn't even back a AAA title at this point that looked and sounded good.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I started playing Darklands again thanks to this thread. It's combat system is my second favourite after JA2.

pipeboyjam

Literate
A few points.
1. I like baldurs gate combat.
2. Art is primitive as hell which means they can produce a lot of it fast.
3. They are using unity the fastest engine for the job. Not some stupid custom engine or engine requiring tons of coding.
3. Setting seems cool not some typical Tolkien ripoff.
4. They already have a working prototype.
5. They are only asking for 10k
6. Website is legible.
So seems to me this game is going to get made anyway and they are only using is for publicity. If they get good criticism we may get a decent game.

To start off with they should change their crappy font in the game and their website which is very difficult to read. I'd like to hear music and sound effects ahead of time as both are important for combat.

That other example of pixel art is a good example. They've put hours of painstaking detail into that art. In contrast stag lands art is a lot rougher with far less detail. That means they know what they are doing. And won't spend to too much time on art. Which isn't that important in a RPG.

agris

Arcane
Patron
But the creators' comments, their inexperience, and the low funding goal assure me that this isn't worth backing. Unless they're making this game in Uganda, there's no way $10k is a reasonable funding goal, unless this game is something they plan to string together over 5 years worth of weekends.
Your faith, their experience etc are up for debate, but they have two published games under their belt and (presumably) are using amassed funds to develop this. I think they're using kickstarter as an extra source of cash, not their sole. You're assuming $10k is what they're soley making the game with, and I don't think this is reasonable. I read their corporate history and KS pitch as that they've got enough financial success from their other IPs to launch a game, and need the KS cash to finish / improve it.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Come on, the guys who made Darklands made serious historical research. They were true computer engineers at the very top of their games who knew what they were doing. Not hipsters doing mobile pixel art games. This is 100% guaranteed to be tremendously disappointing and severely downgraded in scope like nearly all other Kickstarter projects.

Everyone who has ever risen to the occasion or gone to another level has had to fake it till they make it and/or go out of their comfort zone and extend themselves. This is how people grow and how good things can be accomplished. Perhaps they fall short and stumble, but you arrogantly suggest they should not try and we should dismiss them out of hand.

So easy to be an internet detractor. Try Bringing some value to the conversation.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Good interview :salute:

I haven't really donated to Kickstarters much but this one looks like it needs every dollar it can get to really live up to its potential. Also call me a sap but I like the husband and wife team aspect of it. Will probably pitch in.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

I agree, but please correct the attribution of that shity quote to its owner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom