Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Serpent in the Staglands (Now on Kickstarter)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
so how's your english lit major coming along?

pipeboyjam

Literate
Thanks for demonstrating your smugness, tabletop rpg player.

Of course, you guys actually think the whole world has played AD&D and actually has the manual to refer to, like the Bible. lol

I'm starting to get a little frustrated actually, you guys really do live in a alternate reality.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Quote from both the BG1 and BG2 manual:
When an attack is made, the Armor Class of the opponent being attacked is subtracted from the THAC0 of the attacker. The resulting number is the what the attacker must ‘roll’ in order to hit the opponent. This “roll of the die” is done with a d20, or twenty sided die, resulting in a number between 1 and 20. If the attacker rolls the number necessary or higher, then the attack is successful, and damage is done. If the attack is unsuccessful,then the attacker missed completely or was unable to penetrate the opponent’s armor.

xdy means: roll x y-sided dice, so 5d6 + 2 means roll five six-sided dice then add 2 bonus, so the damage range will be 5*1 + 2 = 5 to 5*6 + 2 = 32. The average damage will be the average of the minimum and maximum rolls plus the +2 bonus: (5 + 30)/2 + 2 = 19.5, and since dice were used, you're much more likely to deal something close to the average than doing 8-32 damage randomly.

Edit: BG2 used AD&D, not 3.5 (only IWD2 of the Infinity games used 3rd edition)

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Of course, you guys actually think the whole world has played AD&D and actually has the manual to refer to, like the Bible. lol
bg2's manual, you dolt. complaining that you don't get something and it's never explained by the game while not even bothering to read said game's manual is pretty asinine.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Not quite. The expectation of a six-sided dice is 3.5, so 5 of them is 17.5, plus the constant that's 19.5. In expectation.
Thank for pointing that out, I corrected the calculations. I added the constant +2 before taking the average, instead of afterwards.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Selecting spells? One mouse-click for the two/three favourite spells. Two or three for the rest. Unless you're a cleric/mage, in which case it might take four clicks.

SO DIFFICULT!

Reading the game manual to understand the rolls that require elementary school math (1st or 2nd grade at most).

SO DIFFICULT!

Inventory management a frustrating mini-game on its own?

I was gong to write so difficult for the third time, but why bother? You're an utter retard and a liar as proven by your earlier posts in this thread, pipeboyjam, and you should probably stick with Dragon Age 2 Ultimate Awesome Button Biowhore Edition for Shitbox at Bioware Social, where you belong.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Certain group of people:
- Has very little imagination
- Has trouble focusing when reading even relatively short texts
- Deals poorly with failure
- Has short attention span
- Can't handle basic arithmetics

Is this group the target group for cRPGs?

Combat wise generally speaking, I mean Warcraft 3, DOTA, WOW, Diablo 3 Are big improvements on BGII realtime combat.

...no, it seems it isn't.

Monty

Arcane
pipeboyjam is too good to be true, someone with an IQ this low would surely struggle to dress themselves. I'm picturing Chefe or Bryce cackling to themselves as they fire up TOR and log into their latest alt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The use of an apostrophe in plural nouns is a dead giveaway. It's funny how some people can be annoying purely through spelling. I swear to god, if I see the word "rpg's" again. *shudder*

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You, the mindless goat-fucker, is the pathetic one here. All your claims have been busted. Tell me again how ranged weapons are pointless in IE games. Tell me again how no-one bothers with spells because they are so difficult to use in combat. Tell me again how reading the manual and doing 1st grade arithmetics is too difficult. Tell me again what Warcraft 3, DOTA, WoW and Diablo3 have to do with actual roleplaying games.

Durwyn

Prophet
How is me joining a joke? Are my opinions so absurd you say I have no place here?
No, you fit here perfectly. Just be prepared to face consequences...
dumbfuck.gif

Avellion

Erudite
Pretty complicated considering most people have never rolled more than two dice in monopoly. I don't even know the what 5d6+2 means, it's never explained in BGII, you never learn it in high school (or if I have it was promptly forgotten like most things in high school maths class). Ignorance of how arrogant it is to expect everyone to know what dice roll notation is, is at best bad design. But what can you expect from smug tabletop rpg players, unwilling to let unwashed non tabletop rpg players into their wonderful little fantasy world?

Every RPG does not have to appeal to everyone. Each game should appeal to its own target audience, and I am pretty sure that Staglands aims primarily for the kind of audience that enjoyed titles like Baldurs Gate and Darklands who will most likely understand stuff like basic algebra, probability theory and all that other Elementary/Middle School tier stuff. But dont worry, let us have our fun with a slightly more complex RPG that takes some algebra and probability theory to fully understand and you can go and enjoy your Skyrims and Dragon Age 2s.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why are you all responding to pipboyjam? He's either a blantant troll or a complete retard. Either way nothing is to be gained by engaging.

Koschey

Arcane
Catharsis. He is like a walking, talking target whining about how no one dumbs their games down enough for him.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I like when I read the first page of topic and I see the developer saying the Codex is full of assholes for reasons I find impossible, then skip to the last page and see this shit.

Let smartasses be assholes. It is our privilege.

pipeboyjam

Literate
Speaking of elitists. You guys may think your rpg elitists but the truth is your just rpg junkies, on their knees for anyone who can give them that rpg fix. You think your taste in crpg's is refined when it's really the opinion of a half dead drunkward drinking mythylated spirits.

Myself in contrast only play the best crpg's ever made, and even then i'm quite critical of them. BG2 had poor combat, a bad GUI and poor navigation, needed to play it with a game guide to cut down on frustration.

So your behaviour makes perfect sense when you see rpgcodex as not a rpg palace but a drug den, with the natural braying of junkies when someone not afflicted walks in. This may be the reason why crpg's died as mainstream video games. So congratulations your part of the problem.

Monty

Arcane
:lol:

Comedy gold. Please keep it coming.

Actually it's now time to take it to RPGWatch.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom