Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: The Banner Saga, 2D Turn-Based Strategy RPG

Livonya

Augur
Patron
The thing is that you have a month to do the Kickstarter... once a game is funded it will be pretty hard to not join in when you know they already have the money.

Clearly The Banner Saga will reach well beyond their 100K needs.

If Dead State also goes with Kickstarter I am sure they can raise the 100K quickly, and then even the naysayers will have a hard time staying away in the last few days... $10 is just nothing in the larger scope of our lives.

Going to be hard to regret spending $10 in a year from now. Won't even be an afterthought on that expenditure.

Chewbot

Developer
Alright, let's do this. I think it's only fair that if we're going to give hard and fast concrete answers to the questions, we reserve the right to change our minds in the future (for example, losing the dialogue wheel to go with full replies). That said, we're not going to change our minds unless we think it improves gameplay.

Is the turns initiative, side or Phase based?
For clarification, an initiative-based turn, every unit has an initiative and move in initiative order. For concrete examples, see most rigid d&d implementations, such as Knights of the Chalice or Temple of Elemental Evil. In a side-based TBS, each side moves all of their units in turn, but the specific order in which they move their units can change. An example of this would be the old XCOM games. finally, in a phase-based game, every units actiosn are planned, then resolved simultaneously before the game pauses again and a new set of commands are inuput. The most recent example I can think of is Frozen synapse.
Each character has his own initiative and moves in order, similar to FFTactics. We're experimenting with abilities that let you change the initiative for some characters in a tactical way.

Do units have a facing? Will it matter?
Will units have different defense/ability values depending on what side you attack them from? will it cost action points to rotate your unit? Will d&d-style flanking, where having a unit on either side of an enemy to get bonusses be in effect?
Facing does not matter. This is a personal preference that you may not agree with, but we don't feel that it's a fun game mechanic.

Will units get weaker as they take damage?
Most games have no mechanical defference in the offensive/defensive values of a unit at full health and a unit at 1hp. I was rather fond of shadowrun 4Es (pen&paper) mechanic of a cumultative penalty to all actions for every 3 wounds received.
Units will get weaker as they take damage. We'll talk more about the exact mechanics of this in the future.

How many fancy special abilities can we expect on our units?
None? (Poo :( ) 1 ability on some units? 1-3 abilities on most units? spellcasters with half a dozen utility spells?
Not all characters have a consistent number of abilities across the board, but all playable characters will have at least 2.

In an average, late-game large battle, how many units will each side deploy?
Are we talking 5-10? dozens? Full regiments of hundreds?
This one gets a little tricky without giving away things that may or may not be a surprise. I can say that combat will never be in the hundreds. We want combat to feel more personal like FFTatics, but we've come up with a way that let's you make use of all your characters without having to bench anyone. Sorry if this is still vague and mysterious.

Will there be any mechanics in place to encourage not bringing the same 5-6 guys on every mission or taking as many units as you possibly can along?
Will there be any incentive to try for a harder mission with fewer, less experienced people?
See above.

How large will the battlefields get?
10x10 squares? 20x20? 50x50? 100x100?
Battlefields in the single player campaign will be unique to the combat and the image shown in our video/screenshots is the smallest it will get. We can also make them any shape we want. The player will be able to pan around the screen and the camera will automatically return to whichever character is currently active. It's unlikely they'll ever get to huge sizes like 100x100 but they'll never be smaller than a chess board.

Will units be able to equip items/runes/doodads/whatever to modify their stats/grant new/different attacks/abilities?
If so, will every unit be able to do this or only some? Can you give a concrete, statted item that might be in-game?
We are very interested in doing this. It was a feature that we had to cut due to scope reasons but the Kickstarter campaign may change that. Don't hold me to it, it's very much up in the air right now.

Will there be a lot of aura/AoE/ranged attacks, or is the game mostly melee?
Some characters will be melee, some will be ranged, some will be area or utility. We're trying not to lean in any one direction but in our early free release most characters will lean towards melee. For the most part they will stick to one of these roles because we want to encourage building a team with complementary skills.

How many types of terrain will there be?
Will standing on/moving through them alter a units offense/defense stats or movement cost? Or will they just be cosmetic?
The tiles can often be affected by abilities that change their properties in ways such as causing damage, changing movement distance or blocking movement, amongst others that we're currently testing. As for biomes, we'll definitely have more than just snow.

Will there be any in-combat objectives to claim, or is this strictly last man standing wins?
If there are on-map objectives, will they give any bonusses/penalties while held?
In the single player campaign, combat can often have special objectives such as get all your characters to a certain location or survive a certain number of rounds. In multiplayer matches we will have have last man standing for now, with plans to roll out new modes over time.

What resources will the player have to manage?
You already mentioned people in the caravan. How about food? Weapons? Supplies? Morale? Mead? Metal ingots? Which of these can be gained/lost in combat?
This all relates to the single-player campaign: in battle, health if your primary resource. You won't instantly heal up after battle, it will take time, which can be a problem if you have wounded characters jumping back into battle too soon. Outside of combat, time is an important resource. You can camp and rest, healing your characters but spending too much time may cause events in the world to change. As you travel, your caravan will consume supplies and the morale of your caravan will affect its speed. There aren't a lot of very specific resources such as metal ingots but the resources you do have to manage all wrap back into other gameplay systems. It's up to the player to decide what their top priority is based on how they want to play the game. For example, I may choose to move slow and steady but stay in good health and good spirits, and have to deal with tougher events. On a second playthrough, I may move at breakneck pace but have to deal with characters who are exhausted and an angry caravan. Some players may find a good balance.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Thanks for answering those questions.

Sounds interesting.

I hope the Kickstarter money liberates you to pursue your goals.

Johannes

Arcane
Damn, it seems there's suddenly a lot of promising games coming up. And this is only half a year from the planned release (of the singleplayer), how long has this been in development so far?

Unwanted

Frian Bargo

Kosmonaut's Alt
Thanks for the answers! Although I know that some things are on flux, and prone to change, I appreciate that you took your time to answer most of them. There are some harsh words in this thread Chewbot, just don't take this too personally, as this is a site were you could get a lot of good feedback in several parts of the game. Just take the criticism like a Viking!

Sincerely:

The Frian Bargo.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time and I'm sure everyone fully understands that you're still early enough in the process that mechanics can change. The main reason my question with facing was in there was that the units in your demo video seemed to be facing in at least 3 different directions. I was wondering if that was cosmetic or mechanical.

Either way, it looks promising, so I'm bumping my pledge to get a sweet-ass poster.

:bro:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Do units have a facing? Will it matter?
Will units have different defense/ability values depending on what side you attack them from? will it cost action points to rotate your unit? Will d&d-style flanking, where having a unit on either side of an enemy to get bonusses be in effect?
Facing does not matter. This is a personal preference that you may not agree with, but we don't feel that it's a fun game mechanic.
Yeah, I've never see it work correctly, in most games you end up going to the enemy back, attacking, and them he goes to your back and attacks...every goddamn turn.

Will units be able to equip items/runes/doodads/whatever to modify their stats/grant new/different attacks/abilities?
If so, will every unit be able to do this or only some? Can you give a concrete, statted item that might be in-game?
We are very interested in doing this. It was a feature that we had to cut due to scope reasons but the Kickstarter campaign may change that. Don't hold me to it, it's very much up in the air right now.
tain location or survive a certain number of rounds. In multiplayer matches we will have have last man standing for now, with plans to roll out new modes over time.

I hope then that you get a good chunk of money out of kickstarter and implement this, as it would really make all the diffence IMHO.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
9wmdY.jpg
Crooked Bee

you should totally make this your avatar :thumbsup:

I definitely shall pledge something for the banner saga bros. however, the wasteland kickstarter has bled me dry and I still have to drop something for the kkk fund.

is that how I should mention another user in a post? how the fuck do you do it?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm a bit surprised that after six pages nobody asked the "does it include tasteful Viking rape?".

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm a bit surprised that after six pages nobody asked the "does it include tasteful Viking rape?".
vikingbadass.jpg

Viking rape is always tasteful.

:obviously:

Chewbot: I have to admit, every time I see you comment, I get more excited for the game. You're certainly doing a good job in talking the talk. Particularly excited about units losing effectiveness the closer to death they are.

I do have a question of my own if you've got the time to answer (assuming you're able to):

From what I can gather, the premise of the game seems to be gathering a group of people, assuming them under a common banner and travelling in what is essentially a nomadic adventure. Will there be other such travelling bands controlled by the AI as dynamic entities like you'd see in STALKER faction wars or even as more static story based entities? If so, what kind of interactions would the player be able to have with them?

J1M

Arcane
The pitch video for this one stinks. Even more so when you read what the money is for.

To me it is very clear that the target is set low for one reason: if you don't get to your target, you don't get any of the money. They are using this as a way to sell pre-orders, not to get a project off the ground. Even Braid cost more than $100,000 and it was far more limited in scope than this proposal. That might be fine, if they were honest about it. The buzz words and name dropping used in the promotion of this one makes me sick. It would have been nice if kickstarter worked for more than a month before people started corrupting it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Even Braid cost more than $100,000 and it was far more PRETENTIOUS than this proposal.

While it certainly does seem like a quick preorder grab considering the project was mentioned before everyoen got kickstarter fever, getting a sweet-ass poster and beta access to a game I would likely have preordered eventually anyway seems like a good deal to me. If anything, it is a preorder system that makes sure the money actually goes to the developers instead of middlemen. (Less 10% to kickstarter and amazon, which is still less than the 30%-40% cut steam takes). Isn't that what we're always moaning about? That the money goes to publishers instead of the poeple that make the end product.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Even Braid cost more than $100,000 and it was far more PRETENTIOUS than this proposal.

While it certainly does seem like a quick preorder grab considering the project was mentioned before everyoen got kickstarter fever, getting a sweet-ass poster and beta access to a game I would likely have preordered eventually anyway seems like a good deal to me. If anything, it is a preorder system that makes sure the money actually goes to the developers instead of middlemen. (Less 10% to kickstarter and amazon, which is still less than the 30%-40% cut steam takes). Isn't that what we're always moaning about? That the money goes to publishers instead of the poeple that make the end product.
Exaclty! Besides, it's better for everyone to give the developers money during development so they can make a better game. If we give $100k now, they are using it on the game I we to play. If we give them $100k after release, we are giving them money for the next project, which I may or may not enjoy, or just plain profit that will go to their pockets.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's also worth mentioning that Braid - the pretentious indie puzzler - was developed to be released on XBAWKZ LIVE. Afaik there are some pretty steep entry fees just ot get your product on Microsofts online store. I recall some other thread mentioning fees of ~50k just to release a patch for a store-bought game.

Ultimately, look at it this way. A quick google-fu
Game_programmer
lists $95k as the average annual salary for a videogame programmer in the kwa. Less ~20% or so in income tax (wikipedia lists it as 10%-35%, not sure which bracket $95k falls into) leaves us with 76k worth of kickstarter jewgoldz per team member. We can assume most one-time expenses (computers, software licenses) are already paid, since the team is already producing content. So far as we are aware, there are 3 of them. This means every 228k (well 236k before the kickstarter/amazon cut) jewgold they accumulate will pay for a year of development. As the developers already worked on the game before going kickstarter, we can also assume they have some capital of their own set aside to work on the project. With their projected final release being 8 months from now - kickstarter lists expected release as Nov 2012 - 100k should cover 2/3rds of the remaining development costs. With the recent trend of kickstarters for games going vastly over target (and this one seems to be no different) there is a very high likelyhood that it'll end up covering the entirety of the development costs with the current (assumed) 3-man team, freeing funds for hiring additional team members.

deuxhero

Arcane
Alright, let's do this. I think it's only fair that if we're going to give hard and fast concrete answers to the questions, we reserve the right to change our minds in the future (for example, losing the dialogue wheel to go with full replies). That said, we're not going to change our minds unless we think it improves gameplay.

You missed my question on the last page about how the main character is done..

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Chewbot: I have to admit, every time I see you comment, I get more excited for the game. You're certainly doing a good job in talking the talk. Particularly excited about units losing effectiveness the closer to death they are.
Really? I've never found death spirals to be particularly exiting in tactical combat. All they do is to make front-loaded damage and spamming ranged attacks even more important than usual.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think it could be interesting if the effects of injury were different for different characters. i.e. some guys are all
berserk_guts.jpg

Raargh!!!
While other guys are all "Ouch, I have sprained my ankle, -5 damage!"

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Berserkers are the obvious thing to include when you have vikings. The closer to death the unit is, the harder it nerdrages at everything. Can chew through enemies like popcorn, but if you overextend it gets splatted in return.

felicity

Scholar
Really? I've never found death spirals to be particularly exiting in tactical combat. All they do is to make front-loaded damage and spamming ranged attacks even more important than usual.
I can see it work if you can shuffle units to reserve where they may heal over time, or some conditional refit option that allows troops to regain some strength, so a tanky setup could potentially outlast a front-loaded setup. I think Chewbot hinted at something similar to the former approach.

If the aim is to force players to use all units though there are other options like straight out limit how long a unit may remain on the battlefield or greatly limit the resources available(for example limited number of attacks instead of unlimited like in most rpg/srpg). It seems easier to balance than stamina.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom