Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Drowed

Arcane
As we’ve stated before, we plan for it to be possible to complete TTON without engaging in combat at all. Players can finish or avoid every Crisis using social, stealth, and exploration abilities. Having said that, we haven’t promised that it will be easy. It will likely require very careful decision making and smart character build choices to complete the whole game without throwing a single punch/self-propelled energy projection device.

:incline::obviously:
7344.gif

Nice interview, really. I'm getting really good vibes from this game. (And that scares me.)

jdinatale

Cipher
God damn I would love a spy game/RPG set in the early revolutionary America period where you could choose the rebels or the Brits. Jesus someone make that.

No offense, but that game sounds like a piece of shit that you couldn't pay me to play even if it was in a bundle filled with Bethesda and Blizzard games and a copy of Half-Life 3.

Wow. I'm hoping that they've got some iron discipline in prioritisation, and are sticking to a reasonably smallish gameworld, as this is starting to sound tremendously ambitious. Aiming for viable zero-combat runs, with multiple options for EVERY crisis, in this kind of game is a different league of ambitious compared to Deus Ex style games, where non-combat is 'just' a matter of implementing and designing around a stealth mechanic (scare-quotes around 'just', because that's still quite a design challenge). Ordinarily, I'm massively impressed by 'multiple options' in this style of game if they apply only to a well-placed smattering of specific instances. PS:T and FO are good examples - lovely reactivity when dealing with significant NPCs and quests, but no rat diplomacy or speaking your way past the general mooks. Obviously it would be better if you extended that reactivity to everything, but that's the kind of thing you just mentally write off as a necessary compromise due to the insane resources it would take.

If they're seriously going multiple options and non-combat solutions for EVERYTHING (assuming that doesn't just mean stealthing past all the content), that would quite possibly be the most ambitious crpg design ever attempted. Could be amazing if they pull it off, but I'm worried it might turn into an Alpha Protocol.

I'm also not sure if it's wise to make that kind of promise mid-development. Nobody would seriously complain if they struggled to implement it and had to cut it back to 'only' PS:T levels of reactivity - except for the fact that they've come out and declared multiple options for every crisis as a core goal. It's also the kind of promise that warps fans perceptions of a game (and I'm including myself in this). When you've been promised this in advance, things which should rightly be mind-blowing, end up feeling like standard mechanics, where you feel disappointed if they don't work, but without that 'WOW!' feeling when they do work.

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
George Ziets said:
This is partly a matter of personal taste, but I place much less value upon familiarity in new settings. Audiences are a lot more flexible than we often think. To me, it’s more important that character motivations and emotions feel believable and identifiable, regardless of setting. If you create characters who feel and act in a believable way, have problems that players can identify with, and are likable, audiences will tolerate a lot of weirdness in setting details.

Presentation is also a major issue to consider in a new setting. If you try to throw a lot of unfamiliar setting details at a player in the first ten minutes of gameplay (or, worse, in a convoluted opening cinematic), you’re likely to lose your audience. If, on the other hand, you drop them into a world that is full of mysteries, and the player is learning about the new world as an integral part of gameplay and story, their unfamiliarity with the setting can actually be an asset – it encourages a sense of ongoing discovery that can help keep the player engaged throughout the game.

I think problems arise in new settings when characters are flat and boring, stories are clichéd, the audience isn’t emotionally invested in what’s happening, and the creators are relying upon the details of the setting itself to interest the audience. A lot of hard science fiction falls into this trap. Writers can become so focused on communicating the details of the setting that they fail at job #1, which is creating an engaging story.

:excellent:

Dr Schultz

Augur
Are they modifying the dreadful Numegaya system to fit the game better? I sincerely cannot picture anyone building a license upon this piece of crap.

Why? After all game developers have built licenses upon that D&D piece of crap for decades :asd:...

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
George Ziets said:
This is partly a matter of personal taste, but I place much less value upon familiarity in new settings. Audiences are a lot more flexible than we often think. To me, it’s more important that character motivations and emotions feel believable and identifiable, regardless of setting. If you create characters who feel and act in a believable way, have problems that players can identify with, and are likable, audiences will tolerate a lot of weirdness in setting details.

Presentation is also a major issue to consider in a new setting. If you try to throw a lot of unfamiliar setting details at a player in the first ten minutes of gameplay (or, worse, in a convoluted opening cinematic), you’re likely to lose your audience. If, on the other hand, you drop them into a world that is full of mysteries, and the player is learning about the new world as an integral part of gameplay and story, their unfamiliarity with the setting can actually be an asset – it encourages a sense of ongoing discovery that can help keep the player engaged throughout the game.

I think problems arise in new settings when characters are flat and boring, stories are clichéd, the audience isn’t emotionally invested in what’s happening, and the creators are relying upon the details of the setting itself to interest the audience. A lot of hard science fiction falls into this trap. Writers can become so focused on communicating the details of the setting that they fail at job #1, which is creating an engaging story.

:excellent:
I have to report you for incorrect use of an emoticon. Sorry, friend.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they're seriously going multiple options and non-combat solutions for EVERYTHING (assuming that doesn't just mean stealthing past all the content), that would quite possibly be the most ambitious crpg design ever attempted.

I'm not sure you're familiar with what "crisises" are. There'll only be a limited number of them in the game and they're self-contained scenarios. All combat in the game is in crisises - everywhere else, you're in "adventure game with stats" mode.

If you want insane ambition, look at games with open worlds and freeform, globally applicable mechanics, like say, D:OS.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, this is probably going to be like Torment without all the filler combat. I'm sure that fills some people with joy, but Torment would feel really weird to me pacing-wise without that combat.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I also read the Name of the Wind a while ago, just out of curiosity about Rothfuss.

It wasn't a great book, but I found its highly personal (almost to the point of solipsism) method of storytelling refreshingly different from the usual "kings, castles and armies" fantasy fare, and in that sense it was worth reading.

I'm not a super well-read person though, so perhaps there are other fantasy tales that do that better.

The Felurien incident in The Wise Man's Fear to description of which Roguey links is indeed mock-worthy, but overall as far as fantasy literature goes, Kingkiller Chronicle is really not bad. I read (more like listen to, I have a long commute, so I go through a lot of audiobooks) quite a lot of fantasy and while it is nothing earth-shattering, Rothfuss' world-building skills are definitely above average. Also, disregarding Kvothe's Marty Stu tendencies, the characters in the books are well-done and believable, if somewhat annoying. So, I am not very worried that he is doing an area and a companion, but definitely look forward to the area more.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's almost too storyfag, to be honest. My preferred balance is Fallout 2 style, where talking and sneaking can be critical but you still need to hold your own in a fight to some degree. Still I am sure this will be a quality experience due to writing and setting, if nothing else.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not nearly as bad as CNN makes it sound.
No democratically-elected government, television or radio, and a curfew sound pretty bad to me, living in the land of the free and all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom