Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview RPG Codex Preview: A peek at Legends of Eisenwald

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Zed, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Tags: Alexander Dergay; Aterdux Entertainment; Legends of Eisenwald

Legends of Eisenwald, the turn-based strategy/RPG influenced by the original King's Bounty and Disciples 2, was one of the earlier success stories of Kickstarter that we covered here at RPG Codex. A little while back, we were given a closed beta copy to preview the game for our readers, so I snatched it and did just that.

[​IMG]

Here's a lil' bit from the preview:

Besides castles and towns, you'll come across taverns, mills, graveyards, bandit hideouts, smithys and more. However, these locations don't always offer anything of interest. In fact, some locations appear to be completely uneventful. Also, a tavern could for instance at one point offer little more than gossip, and at another point (later in the scenario) offer a quest. This could very well be because its a beta, but perhaps many of the locations are meant to be little more than scenery.
    You will also come across NPCs wandering the map. Although these NPCs are rarely more than guards and patrols, they help make the world feel a little more alive. While the writing may not be the game's strongest point, the gossip in taverns and the NPC interactions can be quite funny, albeit a little silly at times.

The combat of Eisenwald is initiative-driven and turn-based. This means that units will take their turns based on unit type and equipment. For instance, a ranged combatant will act faster using a longbow than a crossbow. Heavy armor also seems to burden the initiative of units. But, movement is not affected. This is because every single turn in Eisenwald requires an action. You can't choose to move somewhere specific and then end the turn without doing something. Instead, you must choose a target to attack, and your unit will automatically move there and do so. That is, unless the path is blocked by another unit. The only alternative is to skip the unit's turn entirely. This rather simple approach doesn't mean that there is no tactics involved, or that you can just click wherever and be victorious. In fact, combat feels very volatile in that any one unit may suddenly mess things up completely, and your initial positioning of units and how you use them will greatly affect the outcome.​

Besides the actual preview, I also asked Aterdux' head Alexander Dergay a few questions regarding their experience with using Kickstarter:

Legends of Eisenwald, being an early adopter of the Kickstarter model, explored unknown territory with their campaign. When I asked Alexander Dergay how they prepared, he answered: “I think our success at Kickstarter was a combination of a lot of preparation and certainly a bit of luck.”
    “Before our campaign on Kickstarter, we didn't know much about how it all worked and there was very little information available - no postmortems or other articles on how to do a campaign for a video game on Kickstarter.”​

There's more in the preview!

Read the full article: RPG Codex Preview: A peek at Legends of Eisenwald

• Brofist Brofist x 34
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Damn that looks nice.

^ Top  
  3. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
  4. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    :thumbsup:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Does it have a realistic combat system and tastefully done rape?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    :incline:

^ Top  
  7. RedScum Arbiter Patron

RedScum
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    One of the first kickstarters i backed. :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  8. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
  9. Tripicus Scholar

Tripicus
    On the subject of movement, is there a limit on movement points? Or are the battlefields small enough that movement extends everywhere? I ask because you mention every turn requires an action and there is no partial move, and I'm wondering what restriction exist in regards to the movement of melee units. Or can a melee unit bypass frontline units to attack ranged units?

I must've missed the news on this item. I like the King's Bounty and Disciples games, so offhand the game appeals to me.

^ Top  
  10. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Did not back purely out of drawing a line in the sand about KS, but it does look nice. I'll be interested to see how it and Conquistadors fare. I can't get my head around how the move/attack thing will work in practice and whether it'll be any fun, but excited about seeing it myself.

^ Top  
  11. toro Arcane

toro
    Indeed. We need more details about the combat.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Why isn't this on Steam Greenlight?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    When I look at this I think: "Quality"

^ Top  
  14. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Zed: Awesome preview. Especially the intro was very well done and for the first time I think I've got a picture of what this game is like in practice. However, could you expand on the combat a bit? It's one of the things I'm most anxious about :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Looking forward to this one and glad I snagged a boxed copy! :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  16. Mother Russia Andhaira Dumbfuck Queued

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Codex 2013
    Wow it looks beautiful. Looks 2D instead of 3D, it's got such good models. :)

I wish the review was more detailed on combat mechanics, there isn't much there. How many units can you have in combat? How long does combat last? What kind of strategic options are there? What kind of units do you have? How does it compare to Armored Princess?

What are the system requirements? And will there be a demo?

If I can run this, this will be a day 1 purchase for me, it looks like. :bro:

^ Top  
  17. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    What happened to the combat, what's with that grid? They said that the combat system would be like Disciples 2, but now there is grid movement.

Also, Steam Greenlight sucks, obscure strategy games like this one stand little to no chance, because they don't have a legion of excitable fanboys to count on.

^ Top  
  18. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Kinda hard to explain without knowing what I can reference... Here's a combat walkthrough video from earlier this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVoive62rWY

What makes it a little unique is its fast pace. You can't make a move without an action (attacking, healing, buffing). But positioning still matters. You'll want your archers in the back for instance, and you'll want to attack from certain angles with some units (backstabbing etc). If an enemy is face-to-face with your unit, then your unit will kind of be "locked" on it, so early unit positioning is very critical.

Combat becomes challenging (even very early on) if you have no healers. Healers are initially peasant women from villages, and they later upgrade into.. like.. nurses or something. Later on, combat can become very challenging if you don't improve your units. But it's a scenario-based game. I'm sure some scenarios are more or less challenging than others.

I'll update the preview soon'ish and expand a bit on combat :)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Those character models and equipment look fuggin' great. The combat also has a lot more going on than the initial explanation led one to believe. Definitely pumped for this.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I backed this game, but gave both of my beta keys away while under the influence. I guess I'll have to wait for the actual release now.

:martini:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well, they had enough fanboys to fund their Kickstarter, didn't they?

^ Top  
  22. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Greenlight is the only mechanism new indie developers have of getting on Steam and being on Steam > not being on Steam. Despite anyone's personal misgivings about DRM it's a no brainer if you're trying to sell games.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Camp followers, they upgrade to courtesans :smug:

^ Top  
  24. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Too bad the gallery pictures load slower than downloading .gif images through 14k4 modem.

^ Top  
  25. G.O.D Cipher Patron

G.O.D
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)