Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: A peek at Legends of Eisenwald

Modron

Arcane
I was chasing an enemy in game and he went across the pagan temple and so my character entered it and when I exited the place my character kept re-entering the location over and over again with no chance for me to click elsewhere/pause/escape to menu.

Emily

Arcane
Combat feels very bare bone and simplistic. I am afraid it will get old very fast.
There is just HP to manage, no stamina, no morale. I see no strategic depth, i just see rpg elements where you level up, and then click on monsters diablo style, which is very very odd for a turn based game(the whole point is to have depth).
Can we expect any improvements or maybe reconsidering combat implementation?
Everything else is great.

Captain Shrek

Combat feels very bare bone and simplistic. I am afraid it will get old very fast.
There is just HP to manage, no stamina, no morale. I see no strategic depth, i just see rpg elements where you level up, and then click on monsters diablo style, which is very very odd for a turn based game(the whole point is to have depth).

This is correct if it is true. Is at least battle variety managed so as to feel unique? I just downloaded the game, but will have little time to play it.

Modron

Arcane

I imagine this is mainly due to having low level units, in discord times you had units that had first strikes, poison attacks, others with bonus initiative and number of attacks on first round, attacks that ignore armor, curses that reduce numbers of attacks, initiative, defense, etc, various magical attacks, and not to mention items had a great variety of affects.

Though as of now I agree with you somewhat mainly because units with multiple attacks spend all those attacks on the unit you attack instead of being able to place each one as you see fit which had its advantages in allowing you to finish off multiple weak units, soak up counter-attacks with a heavy armor unit, etc.

Captain Shrek

I imagine this is mainly due to having low level units, in discord times you had units that had first strikes, poison attacks, others with bonus initiative and number of attacks on first round, attacks that ignore armor, curses that reduce numbers of attacks, initiative, defense, etc, various magical attacks, and not to mention items had a great variety of affects.

Though as of now I agree with you somewhat mainly because units with multiple attacks spend all those attacks on the unit you attack instead of being able to place each one as you see fit which had its advantages in allowing you to finish off multiple weak units, soak up counter-attacks with a heavy armor unit, etc.

:bro:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Right now this is a very simple scenario that we have, not many spells are there, not too many different kind of weapons. Of course, selecting just basic units and without customising them the combat might feel too simple. But even in this case there are many things you can do differently - either take out enemy archers with your range units or break enemy line and block them etc. I think Modron described it very well.

Captain Shrek

Right now this is a very simple scenario that we have, not many spells are there, not too many different kind of weapons. Of course, selecting just basic units and without customising them the combat might feel too simple. But even in this case there are many things you can do differently - either take out enemy archers with your range units or break enemy line and block them etc. I think Modron described it very well.
Hi.

I just played the beta.

I am a bit worried that the game has VERY repetitive combat. It is a straightforward hack and slash the way it is now. No real resources to manage in the game and no real challenge. I could complete most of the fights easily without depending too much on potions or weapons or levels of my troop.
Is that just the very base version of combat?

Also smaller gripes:

How do I move units that have no attack opportunity? They refuse to alter their location.
Witches and Heretics do not seem to cause any real damage/effects. Are they implemented?
Is flanking/multiple-units-on-one-enemy more effective in some sense than one on one?
Is there a way to know the movement rate of an enemy?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Captain Shrek,

The combat is not fully implemented yet. And as for difficulty, it is right now more towards the easy level, and even now some complain combat is too challenging. Levels of difficulty will help here a bit. Also, let me ask you the question - how many units did you have in your army? This scenario is not meant to go with full stack of 12 units, at least not without consequences.

Units, that have no attack opportunity can either defend or stay in place. At the moment they don't move. Will they be able to? I don't know, we had a version where units could move, and it was strange. Since any unit can reach any unit if the way is not obstructed by another, so it makes little sense that they can move. Without them being able to move, initial positioning and movement of melee units becomes more important.

You are right about Witches and Heretics - they will start doing some damage after the next update.

Flanking is more effective - attacking from sides gives more damage. With multiple units on one some are always will be attacking from sides.

There is not such a thing as movement rate, units can move to the closest enemy or enemies only.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Right now the amount of units is not limited, but it will be and things will be more complicated.

Also, I forgot to say that in combat most of the weapons bonuses are not implemented yet. But they will be and it should add greatly to the overall variety of the combat.

As for unit movement, we are still thinking about it. For example, when we tested that they can move away, they were choosing the far away corner and when each side had several units left, that looked incredibly stupid. So we abandoned it. But maybe we will find a better solution here, maybe with your help :)

I misunderstood about movement rate. Armies move differently, and we honestly didn't think about displaying this information. Do you think it's important?

Captain Shrek

Right now the amount of units is not limited, but it will be and things will be more complicated.

Also, I forgot to say that in combat most of the weapons bonuses are not implemented yet. But they will be and it should add greatly to the overall variety of the combat.

That actually takes care of a lot of my worries!

As for unit movement, we are still thinking about it. For example, when we tested that they can move away, they were choosing the far away corner and when each side had several units left, that looked incredibly stupid. So we abandoned it. But maybe we will find a better solution here, maybe with your help :)
:oops:

I misunderstood about movement rate. Armies move differently, and we honestly didn't think about displaying this information. Do you think it's important?

I am not sure about that. Do you want players to chase after enemies that can escape and learn from experience? That is a very valid approach if you are targeting for it. I was thinking about how it happens in Mount & Blade in world map where you know what is the movement rate of either group and thus can choose to follow another. But that is entirely up to you :).

Captain Shrek

As for the tactical retreat option that the AI seems to be taking:

Can it be that the danger from attack zone is weighted too high compared to overall victory? Since the AI is fighting a completely controlled human opponent, it makes sense to allow it to take the kamikaze route, since that adds to the overall tactical challenge.

Also on an orthogonal note, I felt sad that I had to kill nuns in this game unlike the last.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Well, wait until new and improved combat video comes out, that will show you :)

Hm, about movement rate we will have to think. Some enemies might be evasive and escape...

It won't be necessary to kill nuns, I hate that myself :) When AI is ready, the fight will stop when only non-damage units are left.

I think AI already is looking pretty much at the overally victory. But I will double check that, some things are work in progress still, including AI.

Captain Shrek

Well, wait until new and improved combat video comes out, that will show you :)

Hm, about movement rate we will have to think. Some enemies might be evasive and escape...

It won't be necessary to kill nuns, I hate that myself :) When AI is ready, the fight will stop when only non-damage units are left.

I think AI already is looking pretty much at the overally victory. But I will double check that, some things are work in progress still, including AI.

:bro:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
The patch is almost out, and I translated quite a bit of text for hints - and this really made me see how many things will be there in combat when it's all done. Parts you will see after today's update, I tested the game yesterday and it does seem much more fun. Let's see what others think :)

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
How's this doing on Greenlight?
We got to top 100 pretty fast, in less than a week, and there were a lot of visits and votes in that first week. Now things slowed down a bit, and I think we need to make some effort to spread the word about our game - otherwise it's quite easy to get lost there, over 1000 games are on Greenlight currently. Combat video should help, but I don't know when it will be ready.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hopefully the fast start translates into success. You probably know more than I do as Valve doesn't release any factors or requirements for Greenlight status but it seems in the past they haven't really had any fixed qualifications and if stuff generates enough of a buzz it'll get the go. I'm sure you've already done it but my guess is the best way to generate more attention is through the YouTube 'pundits' -- sad state of affairs. It's like American comedians prior to the 90's -- you basically had to have Johnny Carson, Ed Sullivan, etc. proclaim you funny in order for everyone else to agree. Now if TotalBiscuit deigns to 'bless' your game it will be a hit!

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Well, all sites seem busy now with making 2012 lists, I hope they will start writing some other things soon :) RPS didn't do even their Kickstarter Ketchup for the last two weeks. And yes, if someone like TB would take a cynical look at our game and 'bless' it, that would probably greenlight us right away :)

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Happy New Year everyone! You guys here were one of our biggest supporters in help in 2012 and I hope 2013 won't change that :), we will do our best and beyond to make LoE that will live up to your expectations. May all your dreams come true in 2013!

Captain Shrek

Happy New Year everyone! You guys here were one of our biggest supporters in help in 2012 and I hope 2013 won't change that :), we will do our best and beyond to make LoE that will live up to your expectations. May all your dreams come true in 2013!

:love:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I hope that someone at Steam has the good sense of Greenlighting you guys, continue to post here on codex, we have a reputation of being mean trolls but on reality we only need some love and honesty.

If the game is awesome, prepare yourself for creepy adoration from the most entusiastic (homosexual adoration to Chris Avallone is a common practice) and eternal hate by people that think that a two handed sword should have 115cm of lenght instead of 100cm.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
DeepOcean, it doesn't entirely depend on Steam, it's more about the amount of votes. We are doing reasonably well but without more press it will take us a while to get greenlit. And yes, the range can be very broad, even the previews already show that :) I never heard or experienced anyone on codex being mean trolls - so far we had rather civilized arguments and disagreements. So, maybe this reputation you talk about is a bit exaggerated? Just to keep fps or casual games fans in check :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom