Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Preview: No Truce With The Furies

pomenitul

Arbiter
Robert talked for six hours straight. That was enough to form an informed opinion about his English-language skills. There's nothing to worry about on that front.

I hope you're right. Though times have indeed changed, there's no substitute for long-term 'geographical' immersion in the target language's culture, which is why I winced at 'having learned English from the Internet, they are ready to be let loose on the world at large.' Cf. Joseph Conrad, Vladimir Nabokov, Samuel Beckett, Tristan Tzara, Emil Cioran, Milan Kundera, etc.

Jazz_

Arcane
Reminder that some people will be surprised to find out about the left-leaning opinions of the devs, despite the fact that there's a picture of a guy wearing an honest-to-God flatcap underneath his headphones.

15494.jpg

or maybe just a guy who hasn't yet come to terms with his baldness?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
We could have posted this on Wednesday and continued the streak unbroken if not for (...) Roxor needling PJ for writing too pretentiously
This is bloviated to the extreme, if this is how it looks like after the changes I can't imagine how it was before. I have never seen so much hype in a preview.

All I did was say that the preview was ridiculously masturbatory and fabulously optimistic x100 + suggested changing a bunch of captions under pix. P. sure only the captions part was followed upon, so... such needling ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just spent a transatlantic flight in a plane full of Estonians. Their personal hygiene was suspect, to say the least. One guy blew his nose to his sweater. Terrible people.
When Estonia sends its people they're not sending their best. They're sending people with lots of problems, an they're bringing those problems with us. And some, I assume, are good people.

Looking forward to day-1-purchasing this game.:M

Pentagon

Educated
I think that this is the most positive thing I've read on the Codex, outside of the nostalgia-tinted cocaine of 90's retrospectives.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I generally agree with Darth Roxor on this one... Prime Junta 's writing was filled with way too much superfluous shit that added nothing worthwhile to the preview. But it also had some really good and interesting information, and I enjoyed reading it for the most part.

PJ you need to remember that the problem with pretentious writing is not that it is flowery or overly verbose. It's that the writing is flowery, overly verbose, and adds nothing worthwhile to the narrative. There's a reason the foundation for all good writing is internalizing the phrase "brevity is the soul of wit". It takes rare genius to make essays with adjective-filled prose be worth reading and appreciated, and you don't have it.

I am cautiously hopeful that this will be the first game with overtly political messages that I will thoroughly enjoy playing and exploring. The sense I get from reading this preview is that Marat Sar has an understanding and empathy (not necessarily sympathy) for many different philosophies of political thought and what makes them tick, something sorely lacking in games today.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Provocative preview. Standing by to day one purchase, support these devs, and consume their fine and innovative artwork.

I think that their art - not sure what it is? expressionism, at least used for skills - can't be honestly called like that according to the standards of world art, but if we take only game industry - difference is like between painting of Medieval Period and Renaissance.

I generally agree with Darth Roxor on this one... Prime Junta 's writing was filled with way too much superfluous shit that added nothing worthwhile to the preview.
I think he just tried to translate spirit of a game, its atmosphere, that's all.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
beautiful. just beautiful.

i wanna cry.

this kind of daringness, crazyness, originality i haven't seen in years inside the videogame industry.

the last time i see this kind of freshness was probably Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Prime Junta

I think he just tried to translate spirit of a game, its atmosphere, that's all.

That, and also something of what it was like to talk with Robert. I won't call it an interview because in an interview there's usually the interviewer who asks questions and the interviewee who answers them. In this case, he just talked, free-associating all over the map, and all I did was make occasional interjections if there was something in particular I wanted to know. That bit about buying the Star Wars and Planet of the Apes franchises? All him, when I asked how well he expects this to sell, or something along those lines. Then he went off on a tangent regarding both of those franchises, from that to Mass Effect, from that to BioWare stuff in general, past, present, and future ("Andromeda's going to be shit of course"), from that to D&D, from that to a long digression around the campaign No Truce is based on, from that to the novel he wrote, from that to raging that there are only a million Estonians so writing in Estonian is a waste of time even though he really loves the language, from that to laughing at Finnish and the Finns in general, and so on and so forth.

It was pretty intense.

How well I succeeded is another matter, but I am fairly confident that terse and dry wouldn't have turned out any better. I am excited as fuck about this game; there really hasn't been anything like this since... like, forever. It's been either carefully market-calibrated AAA things, or equally-carefully-calibrated nostalgia-niche-things, or little indie projects with sometimes-good ideas but limited resources both in terms of money and talent. This is crazy ambitious, it has the talent, and it's at the same time innovating and going back to the roots of the genre. On the one hand: mental loot, chatty skills, dialogue combat, police procedural RPG, overtly political themes that aren't your usual everybody's awesome liberal mush. On the other, top-down isometric, faithful rendition of tabletop rules, die-rolls and all, old-skool dialogues with no artificially imposed paragon/renegade/flirt/neutral categories, and no nonsense like quest compasses or what have you.

So I don't see what purpose it would have served to affect an air of world-weary cynicism when I actually am exactly as hyped about this as I say in the preview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom