Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Preview: No Truce With The Furies

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
How well I succeeded is another matter, but I am fairly confident that terse and dry wouldn't have turned out any better.

While your enthusiasm is obvious, it was a little too gushing, particularly at the beginning, and could probably have done with a second voice to give some perspective. It could have been press release, and the effect was to immediately make me suspicious and raise my defences. Fortunately, getting past that your writing style calmed down a bit and there was enough humour and detail to make it an enjoyable read, particularly when the game itself appears to be such a fascinating prospect.

:bro: to all concerned.

Fry

Arcane
I'm not sure I'm quite as excited about this game as PJ and the tone is a bit too fawning for my taste, but the writing style is fine. Anyone who considers that "pretentious" must have lived a life mercifully free of academia.

One UI gripe for the devs... red text on a black background? Fuck you. My eyes. Don't do this.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Prime Junta said:
That, and also something of what it was like to talk with Robert. I won't call it an interview because in an interview there's usually the interviewer who asks questions and the interviewee who answers them. In this case, he just talked, free-associating all over the map, and all I did was make occasional interjections if there was something in particular I wanted to know. That bit about buying the Star Wars and Planet of the Apes franchises? All him, when I asked how well he expects this to sell, or something along those lines. Then he went off on a tangent regarding both of those franchises, from that to Mass Effect, from that to BioWare stuff in general, past, present, and future ("Andromeda's going to be shit of course"), from that to D&D, from that to a long digression around the campaign No Truce is based on, from that to the novel he wrote, from that to raging that there are only a million Estonians so writing in Estonian is a waste of time even though he really loves the language, from that to laughing at Finnish and the Finns in general, and so on and so forth.

Ironically this paragraph describing the preview was much more readable and got me much more interested than the way you said it in the preview itself.

Prime Junta said:
Dry and terse sucks, everyone else is a cynic and I'm not.

It's a spectrum. If I say "try to be less pretentiously verbose" it means "pare your shit down a bit", not "write as few words as possible and adopt an everything is shit attitude".

Bumvelcrow got it right saying the preview was much more readable and enjoyable after the first 1-2 paragraphs when you stopped trying to ape Marat Sar.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure that's just me, but the style this preview was written in was pretty hard to read.

But that is not taking away the fact that this is one of the most interesting RPGs in the last decade, looking forward to it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You better fucking deliver, the Codex now knows where you guys live. :shittydog:
That, and Lithuanian hitmen are cheaper due to less travel cost.

Finns with their joke language and backwoods nationalism
As an outsider living on the inside, I must say I agree :lol:
The language can only be a joke, as nobody could have meant that grammatical mess serious. It's like the Brainfuck of actual languages. It does sound pretty nice in songs, though.
Too bad it turned out that people here are not - contrary to my previous beliefs - actually Wood Elves, so they do not sing to communicate. Instead, when spoken to by people below 70, you get a version of the official language that is so crippled it might as well be its own language.

And the nationalism here is actually rather peaceful. As someone who views nationalism and other religions as the greatest plagues of mankind, it confuses me to no end.

Oh, and all Finns I know think that Estonian sounds like a stupid version of Finnish. Kinda like how Dutch sounds to a German. You just have to giggle when you hear it.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
Game is planned to release at the end of this year.
Take this with a grain of salt bros, you know how fast Eesti really is!
(inb4 two or three deadline delays announced)

:troll:

85m1O8m.png

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
On the one hand: mental loot, chatty skills, dialogue combat, police procedural RPG, overtly political themes that aren't your usual everybody's awesome liberal mush.

The concept is great, but talk about dialogue system innovations are cheap. Sawyers’ and McComb’s comments about the effects of dispositions and tides on gameplay looked awesome during interviews, but the actual gameplay of PoE and ToN didn’t live up to the hype. Now we have to wait and see. I hope they nail this one.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
That, and also something of what it was like to talk with Robert.
I meaned that too, because it wasclear that you got all this from talk with him.

How well I succeeded is another matter, but I am fairly confident that terse and dry wouldn't have turned out any better.
I think that article about subject should match, fit the subject, and this article have same dimension as game.
You did exellent work.
I was just surprised why it wasn't clear to that guy Kalarion.

I'm pretty sure that's just me, but the style this preview was written in was pretty hard to read.
It is bad for you, that mean you have no habit to read and try to understand texts beyond your present self.
This kind of laziness doesn't bring any good for personality.

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
The style reminded me of when I used to read Rock Paper Shotgun, and not in a good way. Sorry.
However now at least I understand what the game is going to be about and I'm curious about it, so the preview worked.

Moink

Cipher
Filthy communists not withstanding, It looks pretty gud

Prime Junta

Thanks everyone for the comments/criticisms/suggestions about my writing style. This place has high standards, and I am trying to live up to them.

That said, I'm super happy many of you who didn't like how I wrote it, liked what I wrote about. These guys have something special brewing and the one thing I was worried about was fucking it up for them. That didn't happen, which is the main thing.

/end drunkposting

Cadmus

Arcane
U let prime bore Cunta write something again? Fuck me sideways, i was interested in the game but i dont wanna fall asleep while reading the preview

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom