Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview RPG Codex Preview: The Great Whale Road

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Bubbles, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Tags: Sunburned Games; The Great Whale Road

The tactical turn based RPG The Great Whale Road is entering Early Access today, and we've had the great pleasure of receiving a preview copy, as well as the distinctly lesser pleasure of playing through it.

What does the game have to offer for the discerning hardcore RPG fan? Everybody's favourite front page writer Bubbles has the scoop:

Boredom and monotony. Unceasing repetition. The mind is sedated, lulled to sleep among the endless waves. No hope. No relief. [...]

On paper, The Great Whale Road seems like a perfectly interesting little game; it's basically a cross of The Banner Saga and King of Dragon Pass, staged in the historical setting of the North Sea around the year 650 AD. You play the newly selected leader (male or female) of a small Danish settlement; storylines for the Picts, Franks, and Northumbrians are promised to follow later in development. As the chieftain, you have to manage the economy of your settlement while simultaneously playing through a linear storyline of political frictions and intrigue. You have to decide how to distribute your people's manpower between diplomacy, trade, warfare, or any of the various ways of gaining food; you need to deal with a variety of random events, from pirates to the plague; and you have to lead your warband into turn based battles against your people's enemies. During the winter months, you rest at home; during the summer months, you set sail to trade and parley with your neighbours. Sounds good, right?

And yet, in the current state of the game, none of these elements are actually fun. [...]

Should you go play The Great Whale Road right now? Absolutely not, you'd be bored stiff! But should you buy it right now? Well, perhaps. The game is coming off a failed Kickstarter, and the Early Access income would probably be helpful to Sunburned Games in their efforts to deliver a complete and hopefully entertaining experience. If the idea of a Banner Saga/KoDP hybrid with lots of stats and random events is inherently appealing to you, and you have money to spare for a game that so far delivers nothing except some pretty 2D screens and a half-complete campaign full of shallow and repetitive gameplay, then you might as well throw some funding at this project. Support your indie developers! Just keep in mind that none of the promised features are actually guaranteed to ever make it into the game.​

Well, they can't all be winners. Maybe we'll check back in a few months and see how the game has improved.

Read the full article: Preview: The Great Whale Road

• Brofist x 16
    • Thanks! x 5
    • Salute x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Erik Novice

Erik
    I just bought it. Patron of the motherf***ing arts, and all that.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    See its malcontents like Bubbles who give the codex a bad name. Instead of talking about whatever pipe-dream the developers are promising to deliver (as they surely will) he dwells on the current state of the game like some sort of, of, um, well I can't think of the word. But it was not good.

• Salute Salute x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Solid preview, Bubbles. I hope they are willing to improve this game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I dunno, Bubbles.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    so is this poor man's expedition conquistador or poor man's banner saga?

^ Top  
  7. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    I've played through the release version now. It adds a fourth year, consisting of two or three little story texts and another 15 minutes of sailing along the same routes you've sailed before. The game still has a long road ahead.

It's closer to Banner Saga. Linear travelling around pre-determined routes, no character creation, most of the game consists of looking at the travelling graphic while waiting for random events to pop up. There's no character development or special abilities right now, but those are supposed to be implemented at some point.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. norolim Arbiter

norolim
    Codex delivers again. I just noticed this game and was wondering whether it has any potential. Thanks for the preview.

^ Top  
  9. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The release version of Early Access? It's getting hard to find a finished (rather than abandoned) game these days. From the sounds of it, this could definitely be one to steer clear of until it's 'finished'.

Support your indi-developer? I'm torn. The kickstarter failed and this EA version seems empty. At some point you have to question the reason to make a game that nobody appears to want.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Erik Novice

Erik
    I want a game like this. It's a fascinating setting, some of the artwork is simply beautiful and the concept is very promising. Having played a little bit of it, it reminds me of a lightish KoDP. Of course it's far from finished, and if one wants to be cynical there's a risk it will never be.

Cynicism is not for me though, and I honestly believe the intention alone to create a game like this is worth my €15. In fact, if someone wants it answer this post and state a steam name, and I will gift a copy as soon as I see it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Sorely tempted to take you up on that offer, but you gonna need some cynicism bro.

^ Top  
  12. ArtB Erudite Patron

ArtB
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Shame, we don't have enough games (outside of various startegy titles, really) taking real advatage of historical settings. Looks like Battle Brothers is gonna stay the only game I bought on Early Acces for a while longer.

^ Top  
  13. Fargus Savant

Fargus
    Support indie devs! Buy early access game! Get burned when the devs abandon the game 3 years later :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. a mod Formlery Melanoma

a mod
    I like the idea in theory but ugh those fucking flash graphics so many indy games have today. I can't stand that shit, it's worse than early 90s 3d.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arbiter

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I don't mind the art style at all. Hell, i even find it reasonably charming.
    It's everything else that sounds, uh, let's say unappealing.

^ Top  
  16. Erik Novice

Erik
    The offer still stands.

^ Top  
  17. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    ... racist.

• Racist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    The KS looks actually pretty good for a supposedly successor to KoDP. They even have a blue-painted nipple chick of a Pict.

The problem is word of mouth. Only through Buble's front page review that we heard of this project. And we supposedly the biggest hive of trannies and fans of obscure games. How the hell does this game fail to reach Codex in time of KS?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bastion Novice

Bastion
    The game is too good for shitposting.

^ Top  
  20. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Probably didn't have Chris Avellone as a stretch goal.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)