Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Underrail Re-Previewed

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I was thinking a "Euthanize" button near the Brofist, Reply, etc. buttons might be appropriate.

You FOOL

YOU HAVE CALLED UPON THE BUTTON PARADE.

DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE

Underrail is a thing of beauty. When the name changed from Timelapse Vertigo to Underrail, I was disappointed as the latter sounded rather generic in comparison at first but, after having played the game multiple times, I find that the name fits the game like a glove. And there aren't many games that I get an urge to -and then I actually do- play a second time, let alone a third or fourth. Underrail is a gigantic accomplishment in gameplay.

However, I think it might be wise to draw a line at Fallout comparisons. Underrail is so much more at what it does than Fallout, but also not quite at a similar level of writing and C&C.

But it's not just that either. Underrail feels fundamentally different than Fallout to me. It's a modern iteration of old traditions while being a new breed. Perhaps that is the key word. The game feels brand fucking spanking new the way Fallout felt brand fucking spanking new when it came out. Very few games have that.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
In the interest of impartiality, I feel this quality Steam review should also be included:

783cf62096.png

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I bought it on steam to support the developer, but I'm going to wait until full release to actually play it

Makagulfazel

Educated
The game's so massive, I wouldn't worry about spoiling much by indulging yourself with a little ol' playthrough. You know it's a great game when you spend 40 hours on the "alpha" and it's still the game you're most excited to see released.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
This thread is a huge circle jerk of love for this game *move over*
I can't wait to play it when its completed too.

ST'Ranger

Augur
I bought this game long ago around when it first changed names to Underrail, 2012ish. Even then it was damned impressive and comparisons to Fallout ring true. This is the real deal. The developer is quietly and steadily building up what might be a masterpiece when it's done. This puts big developers with big budgets and small ideas to shame.:incline:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I so cannot wait for the release, I have it in my library but haven't tried it so far since I do not want to spoil the fun but really this seems to be the best game of the incline-wave.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Fired up the game. It's been a while since I've been this positively overwhelmed by a character creation's screen.
I don't know if I'll be able to wait the release to play it.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
What's really mind-boggling about the game is that for some time it was a one-man effort. (AFAIK it's not the case anymore, but still.)

It's amazing what a "amateur" developer has achieved, design-wise and scope-wise. Mechanically speaking, it is basically the prototype of the ideal Codex game (except for some details), with a variety of skills/builds/weapons/balancing that I don't recall seeing in any other game in the last decade.

If this game isn't the harbinger of the incline, I don't know what can be. (Well, to be fair, we have D:OS too, I guess.)

.. and in less than two decades and everything.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Game is amazing, love it. Haven't played the latest iterations in a while tho.
Bought it once, will do so again once it's finished or near enough.

Excelent review Blaine. I can't wait for Styg to finish it. Played a very early alpha (as soon as he started selling it) and already seen how good it was and how much potential it had. I'm glad that's becoming even better than I expected and Styg should take his time to finish it, hopefully he will get enough of money influx from sales to be able to perfect it to the detail. I'm guessing it will be like when I first ran Fallout 1.

Shevek

Arcane
This should be going for about $30 or so. The game is a steal. Absolutely fantastic.

Nael

Arcane
This should be going for about $30 or so. The game is a steal. Absolutely fantastic.

That was my thought as well and actually made me hesitate somewhat thinking "At $9.99, surely the game is more like a super simple, ~5 hour long demo." Not so. The game swings with all the other RPGs of the recent :incline: if not besting a few, IMO.

Also, was this review an inside job?

SmUQciJ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom