Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to OtherSide Entertainment

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's Looking fucking Glass, a little bit of good cheer won't hurt you in this. It's not that I am hyped - hell naw, look at that budget -

But come ON! It's Looking fucking Glass. This is like shitting on Origin. We practically owe them by default for making games of a quality that has rarely been attained again. Criticizing their "RPG system" is laughable. I mean, that was, like, the weakest part of System Shock 2-- and it was still great. They could have no RPG system and they would have, back in the day, still crafted an amazing game, just look at Terra Nova.

I know we're an RPG site but try, just try, not to see everything through a narrow lens. For now, let's just be happy that the spark's still there and that, seemingly, their heart is in the right place. How often do you get that? Everyone should be happy, except Mondblut, that wouldn't be in character. And they're not making Wizardry 9: The Stattening.
Pros:
- Looking Glass! (the team)
- Ultima Underworld! (the brand)
- Physics! (the concept)

Cons:
- KS updates
- interview answers

Btw, I'm not criticizing their RPG system, I'm criticizing the answer to the question. I enjoyed Dishonored, so I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this game a lot more even if they throw away all stats. In fact, I'd prefer a tightly focused game (especially considering the abysmal budget) than a game packed with poorly implemented grand ideas. Locational damage affecting combat? That's a game in itself and an impossibly high goal. Choices & Consequences in a dynamic ecosystem? Downright scary.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's Looking fucking Glass, a little bit of good cheer won't hurt you in this. It's not that I am hyped - hell naw, look at that budget -

But come ON! It's Looking fucking Glass. This is like shitting on Origin. We practically owe them by default for making games of a quality that has rarely been attained again. Criticizing their "RPG system" is laughable. I mean, that was, like, the weakest part of System Shock 2-- and it was still great. They could have no RPG system and they would have, back in the day, still crafted an amazing game, just look at Terra Nova.

I know we're an RPG site but try, just try, not to see everything through a narrow lens. For now, let's just be happy that the spark's still there and that, seemingly, their heart is in the right place. How often do you get that? Everyone should be happy, except Mondblut, that wouldn't be in character. And they're not making Wizardry 9: The Stattening.
Pros:
- Looking Glass! (the team)
- Ultima Underworld! (the brand)
- Physics! (the concept)

Cons:
- KS updates
- interview answers

Btw, I'm not criticizing their RPG system, I'm criticizing the answer to the question. I enjoyed Dishonored, so I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this game a lot more even if they throw away all stats. In fact, I'd prefer a tightly focused game (especially considering the abysmal budget) than a game packed with poorly implemented grand ideas. Locational damage affecting combat? That's a game in itself and an impossibly high goal. Choices & Consequences in a dynamic ecosystem? Downright scary.

Luckily we will get to play their game, not their KS campaign.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yet at the moment the KS campaign is all we have. So we can sit and fantasize of how awesome the game would be like or we can discuss the updates, plans, and comments.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My dream of becoming famous on neogaf (and not because of compromising pictures!) has finally come true...

Also, mindx2 will be amused by this: http://victorygamecenter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51&p=101#p106

(looks like that guy lives alone on his forum, hiver-style?)

I didn't know I was a "jerk"... :oops:... just a Codexian... :codexisfor:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yet at the moment the KS campaign is all we have. So we can sit and fantasize of how awesome the game would be like or we can discuss the updates, plans, and comments.

Did you take to their forums yet? They are pretty responsive.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Take what to their forums? The interview made it clear that they don't have the answers to most questions yet (i.e. the gameplay mechanics are at a very early, mostly theoretical stage - other than physics, of course). So let's wait and see what transpires.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Take what to their forums? The interview made it clear that they don't have the answers to most questions yet (i.e. the gameplay mechanics are at a very early, mostly theoretical stage - other than physics, of course). So let's wait and see what transpires.

Now that it's been funded I hope to be able to visit them again when they have much more nailed down and can start talking specifics (and actually show). As it develops over time keep thinking of questions as they arise and I'll press them for those specifics you're looking for.

mindx2

Patron
Something's wrong here. I was just awarded this prestigious achievement:
Achievements Received by mindx2
  1. 285 Awarded: 10 minutes ago
    Man and a Half
    Who's a man and a half? You're a man and a half! That's who. Your (at least) 1.5 fisting ratio is DYNAMITE.

... shouldn't it read:

Achievements Received by mindx2
  1. 285
    Awarded: 10 minutes ago
    Half a Man
    Who's a half a man? You're half a man! That's who. Your (at least) 1.5 fisting ratio is DYNAMITE.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
These guys should have talked to Swen about how to promote a KS project.

Zep--

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They met their goal. And I think it's a good thing they won't go too much over because they strike me as the types that would get sidetracked on frills versus core content if given endless cash.

BulletLoco

Novice
Nice interview. Good questions. Props.

But Codex needs better style editors. ('So their constantly talking', come on guys.)

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
They met their goal. And I think it's a good thing they won't go too much over because they strike me as the types that would get sidetracked on frills versus core content if given endless cash.

They strike you that way do they? Not paying attention then.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I think Richard Garriott de Cayunt screwed them over.

Zep--
Reasons why...?

1. Inserting himself and Long into their videos. You're trying to pitch your product and they got you (or you allowed yourself to be) a tiny talking head on an iPad? Dumbest move ever. He allowed himself to be a bit player in his own companies pitch is the way I see it.

2. The dumb move to link somehow to SotA with their moon-pie-portals and share SotA store items. If you don't see the next logical step is for them to link to or copy the SotA RMT dress-up store...well...

3. Sleepy Warren Spectre reading from a script.

4. Let's throw Tracy Hickman in this category too by association.

(other things not RG related (maybe), who knows, he seems to have a lot of pull in this project)

5. Jar Jar BinksChattering Bart/Bertha.

6. An absolute cluster-fuck of stretch goal price AND arrangement.

7. Their pitch is like the old game forum gag..."Hai Guise! I got an idea for a game, it's really cool! All I need is a coder, an artist, a sound guy and a web guy. I'm the idea man!"

8. Waste your money on a PR firm BEFORE you find your funding for the project is going to shit.

9. Argo fuck yourself.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These guys should have talked to Swen about how to promote a KS project.

The Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter didn't actually do incredibly well, you know. In 2015, in the middle of Kickstarter fatigue, the Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter bypassed it with a bare minimum of effort.

Fuck me, the SotA Kickstarter campaign that you're somehow still traumatized by two years later did better than D:OS did.

7. Their pitch is like the old game forum gag..."Hai Guise! I got an idea for a game, it's really cool! All I need is a coder, an artist, a sound guy and a web guy. I'm the idea man!"

8. Waste your money on a PR firm BEFORE you find your funding for the project is going to shit.

Look, you think I'm being a fanboy or that I'm bullshitting you, but really: This. Is. What. Kickstarter. Is.

You need to stop looking at it if it bothers you so much.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

They strike you that way do they? Not paying attention then.

I can't find the old stretch goal image, but wasn't VR pretty far down the list? Yet here they are wasting time pitching an update on VR that's not even in the stretch goal list anymore. I said this before, but it's like most of these videos were pre-recorded before the KS even launched.

Zep--

mindx2

Patron
I think Richard Garriott de Cayunt screwed them over.

Zep--
Reasons why...?

1. Inserting himself and Long into their videos. You're trying to pitch your product and they got you (or you allowed yourself to be) a tiny talking head on an iPad? Dumbest move ever. He allowed himself to be a bit player in his own companies pitch is the way I see it.

2. The dumb move to link somehow to SotA with their moon-pie-portals and share SotA store items. If you don't see the next logical step is for them to link to or copy the SotA RMT dress-up store...well...

3. Sleepy Warren Spectre reading from a script.

4. Let's throw Tracy Hickman in this category too by association.

(other things not RG related (maybe), who knows, he seems to have a lot of pull in this project)

5. Jar Jar BinksChattering Bart/Bertha.

6. An absolute cluster-fuck of stretch goal price AND arrangement.

9. Argo fuck yourself.

Zep--

1 & 2) I'm no fan of SotA myself but from a marketing standpoint I understand why they wanted the association. They felt by linking the two worlds OtherSide would get many of those MMO pledgers to pledge for this one (also why I think the co-op thing was talked about as much as it was). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to have been as large a migration of SotA players as they expected and all that focus on co-op may have turned others away. KS "old school" games do tend to sell better hyping that return to the single player experience. So again, I understand why they did what they did it just didn't work out as well as they hoped. Plus as others have suggested Garriott might be the money behind the extra investment they've hinted at.

4) As for Hickman's involvement, whatever. I don't think it necessarily hurts and hopefully it improves the back-story and lore. This is the type of game that needs that sprinkled throughout the game since the "story" won't be crammed down your throat so having a competent writer helps (I don't know if he is as I've never read his stuff).

6) They've finally fixed the stretch goal thing but I agree it could have been better from the start. Blame it on being a rookie KSer.

8) They thought PR would help. I don't know that it has but we don't know how much they spent on it so I can't really comment on it either way.

And as for the rest of your points... everyone has an opinion... :P

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Why the fuck do you keep doing that?

-

4) As for Hickman's involvement, whatever. I don't think it necessarily hurts and hopefully it improves the back-story and lore. This is the type of game that needs that sprinkled throughout the game since the "story" won't be crammed down your throat so having a competent writer helps (I don't know if he is as I've never read his stuff).

Opinions obviously differ on that but personally I have fond memories of his first six Dragonlance novels when I read them way back in ye days of olden. I don't know if I'd still enjoy them today but that I distinctly remember most of the characters and their different personalities right up to this day certainly speaks for the man. Can't say the same for much of the other stuff I've read, back then and in recent times. I would really like to see that stretchgoal met.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom