Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

kaizoku

Arcane
Why would we want to escape Denmark? It is a hedonistic paradise that has so far evaded the worst of the multikult decline that ravages Sweden, Germany, France and the UK

OWdiY9Q.jpg
I command you to tell more about this hedonistic paradise you speak of.

After looking at the pictures, it seems the danish people suffer from starvation.
And red beards too.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Unfortunately some distribution complications have come up. We're honestly not sure how much we're supposed to talk about this, and I don't want to cast anybody as the villain here - nobody has done anything wrong, it's just that kind of situation where things turned out to be a little more complicated than we'd hoped, and we need a little extra time to get our ducks in a row.

One day this is going to make for a pretty interesting retrospective.

AC Sleighter

Novice
Single Player, old school style game delayed last minute to implement multiplayer because reviewers wanted it?

Color me unimpressed.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Hope this doesn't end up being my gimic but from George Ziets's twitter.
"Liking the look of Expeditions: Conquistador. Haven't played a good turn-based historical RPG in... well... ever?"

Saduj

Arcane
This was going to be the 1st of many expected :incline: games of 2013, for me at least. Don't blow it! :mad:

Also, multiplayer is for people with friends fags.

ironyuri

Ah, Thursday. Let it be known that from this day forth, Thursday shall forever be a Black Day for the RPGCodex.

A blighted day. The day upon which the confluence of foul vapours chokes from us the very air we breathe.

A day when a thousand, thousand innocent souls, grasping toward the light of Age of Decadence and Expeditions: Conquistador were snuffed out.
Very poetic, ironyuri. You look like you have some time on your hands, and possibly some frustrated writing talent.

Why not put it to some use in a CYOA in the playground? There are plenty of possible directions you could take, but maybe something Arcanum-related would suit your rather archaic and flowery style.

:rpgcodex:

Challenge accepted (soon).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ah, Thursday. Let it be known that from this day forth, Thursday shall forever be a Black Day for the RPGCodex.

A blighted day. The day upon which the confluence of foul vapours chokes from us the very air we breathe.

A day when a thousand, thousand innocent souls, grasping toward the light of Age of Decadence and Expeditions: Conquistador were snuffed out.
Very poetic, ironyuri. You look like you have some time on your hands, and possibly some frustrated writing talent.

Why not put it to some use in a CYOA in the playground? There are plenty of possible directions you could take, but maybe something Arcanum-related would suit your rather archaic and flowery style.

:rpgcodex:

Challenge accepted (soon).

Inb4 college professor fired over CYOA writing during lesson hours.
RPGCodex.net page 1 on Oz Daily.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Been reading an excellent book called CONQUISTADORS.

In the interests of historical accuracy, will the game feature tasteful gang rape of South American indian women and hot poker torture for unbaptized native children? I want to feel like I am really there.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Good article, Grunker. Shame about the delay now. Haven't backed it, but will look forward to it.

Also, Grunker making the Codex proud:

iKt57gOfRJs13.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
denmark_standard.jpg

Do people drink this in Denmark as heavily as in the rest of Europe or is it mostly for export?

Probably NOT the best beer in the world.

It's usually what's served at football matches because licensing deals wit hthe stadiums, but most people I know don't drink it outside of that. The closest thing to a decent beer Carlsberg makes these days is Carls Special. and you can get better beer for less.

The most popular mass produced beer brands around these parts are Tuborg and Royal. (although Tuborg is owned by Carlsberg nowadays :(). I used to drink Tuborg red and gold, but red is discontinued which is a damn shame. The brown ale from Ceres Royal is decent enough. Most of the good stuff comes from some of the 100-or-so microbreweries scattered throughout the isles. My personal favourites would probably be Brøckhouse (<3 Esrum Kloster) and Bryggeriet Vestfyen. Hornbeer makes some good batches as well.

On topic, I hope Jonas, Avonaeon & co. get their site back up and running asap so people can start throwing their money at them.

ironyuri

Real vikings drink Akvavit. Ulminati proves himself to be a giant fag once more.

Ps. They also eat mountains of lard smeared on delicious rye bread and washed down with pickled herring.

Kz3r0

Arcane
About the delay and Steam Greenlight deletion, here something that could be related:

Something of interest here, about publishers taking over already funded Kickstarter projects:
I can’t give a solid release date, despite how close we are to shipping for a few reasons. We are working with a publisher (not at liberty yet to say whom) for Steam. When you do that you are a little beholden to a few things that dictate when the game releases. Steam is still not 100% certain, but thanks to the publisher we are working with, we are much closer. We will let you know the details the minute we can talk more about it.

I am hoping that all Kickstarter backers that ordered digital copies of the game will have the option to receive their digital copies of the game from our Humble Store the moment it is ready, rather than waiting for the official street date. Of course, this is will be dependent on it not causing any problems with Valve or other distributors getting angry about street dates. We are still getting this part ironed out.
The also said that doubled the in-game content by using their own funds.
From the comments:

Creator Crazy Viking Studios 4 days ago

@ Crosmando This is Taron (normally its Kris making all the comments). I wanted to chime in on this and say, I had exactly the same thought at first. We are an indie company, this is an indie game, and I absolutely refuse to allow any "publisher" to step in and make me change something. If I wanted that I would have stayed working for other game companies. So fear not! We are not "selling out". Let me explain more...

The people we are working with are really only a "publisher" in terms of how Steam views them, which allows them to put games on Steam without having to go through Greenlight or other avenues of approval that self-published games need to. They actually refer to themselves as a "marketing partner" when dealing with us, but claim the title "publisher" when dealing with Steam so they can access avenues that Steam usually only gives to publishers.

They are not providing any funding of the game itself like a normal publisher would. They also have no rights over the IP and no say in the creative content of the game whatsoever, and as Kris mentioned, no involvement at all in the Kickstarter backer copies or sales on Humble and other places like GoG, Desura, Gamer's Gate, etc. They actually contacted us through this very kickstarter campaign, so they are well aware of our indie self-funded status!

The deal we are looking at is that they provide marketing (and they are in a VERY good position to do so) and use their position as an official "Steam-approved publisher" to get us on Steam without having to go through Greenlight, in exchange for a cut of the profits from any copies purchased from Steam.

So, yeah, being able to bypass Greenlight and have an awesome well-loved company like this provide marketing would be a big help for us, and I'm making absolutely sure before I sign anything (with an attorney and everything!) that this deal would not at all compromise our creative freedom, give away any rights to our IP, or change our status as an independent developer. As Kris said, these guys are awesome and not a group you are likely to guess at since they are not generally known as a game publisher at all.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking/posts/404618#comments
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kickstarter-watch.70894/page-82#post-2502336

Apparently some non well known publisher is fishing for already finished Kickstarters.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Real vikings drank mead and beer. ironyuri proves himself to be an illiterate wombat once again.

Akvavit didn't come about until ~15th century.

Kirtai

Augur
Interesting, so they've found someone who'll let them bypass the usual Steam approval process in exchange for a cut of the Steam profits. That explains the delay. I hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse.

Monty

Arcane
Yes, interesting post by Kz3r0. It would explain the last-minute delay and the disappearance from greenlight. I can see why they'd want to consider it but it does seem a nice little racket for an 'approved publisher' to take no risks and simply attach itself like a parasite to finished kickstarter games.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yes, interesting post by Kz3r0. It would explain the last-minute delay and the disappearance from greenlight. I can see why they'd want to consider it but it does seem a nice little racket for an 'approved publisher' to take no risks and simply attach itself like a parasite to finished kickstarter games.
Actually is quite the business savy decision, almost finished projects with a lot of buzz going thanks to Kickstarter, the real troublesome part are the delays accompained by the addition of features not requested by the backers and the usual NDAs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting, so they've found someone who'll let them bypass the usual Steam approval process in exchange for a cut of the Steam profits. That explains the delay. I hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse.

Hmmm: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kickstarter-watch.70894/page-82#post-2502336

My gut is telling me that it won't be an issue because who we are talking with is a VERY cool group of people.

I wonder if it's the same person. And I wonder if it's Brian Fargo.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Hmmm: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kickstarter-watch.70894/page-82#post-2502336

My gut is telling me that it won't be an issue because who we are talking with is a VERY cool group of people.

Now we're talking. Your conspiracy-theories were a bit boring until now.

That would be cool. The Empire of the Niche. Monopolies are always great, right? :troll:

Though, I doubt Fargo has that kind of money.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Too late. :smug:
I don't think is Fargo, he has been quite open in trying to create a Kickstarter ecosystem that self sustain itself, plus this unknown publisher seems to have made some non Fargoesque extra request like multiplayer addition.
By the way, I think that a survey of other projects is in order just to see how far this goes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though, I doubt Fargo has that kind of money.

He doesn't need money to sponsor them on Steam. He provides a shortcut to bypass Greenlight, and in exchange he gets a cut of their profits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom