Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

Mortmal

Arcane
I think lot of people frown upon multiplayer because what we are waiting for, and kickstarted, are single player rpg with tactical depth, coming back to the roots. The multiplayer and mmo , traumatized codexers in their youth and that was the start of decline and disappeareance of every single rpgs. Multiplayer seems wasted time that could be dedicated to more important things.
Its nice interview grunker, this team looks nice, but i hope that wont grant them a free ride. IF the game is not good i hope you will dare to tell it, i certainly will. Right now who played it here , and how was it ?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And how do we call the man who does the coxing? The coxswain. I know a lot of you love to sway some cox.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Independent developers shafting the people that Kickstarted their project, because publisher deals, news at 11. Had I known about this, I would've waited for the retail/Steam/GamersGate version. :roll:

:entitledgamer:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Also, if the underlying cause in this is issues with publishers and distributors getting involved as it appears, it also looks really bad to the Kickstarter crowd. The Kickstarter crowd believes they are "donating" to help fund projects that would otherwise be unable to get published and bypassing publisher involvement.

I think it's obvious that, if they are successful with their Kickstarter project, some of these developers are going to enter into business with publishers for future development, future distribution and future projects. But these Kickstarters should be hands free from publisher involvement. Developers need to be, and should be allowed to make money and improve their business. Getting involved with publishers is often going to be the way for some of them to move forward. However, the "right" thing to do (IMO) is to fulfill the promises of those people who initially funded you first. Fiinish the game as described and intented in your Kickstarter campaign. Release it in the ways available to you to the people that backed it. THEN you can enter into a deal with a publisher for further distribution.

But as it is now, it certainly looks as if your kickstarter backers are getting the shaft, because of a deal with a publisher. Basically you are undercutting your original funders, and that's fucked up.

While Kickstarter was a major part of this game becoming successful, and while we're super greatful to all those who backed us, it was still only a part of it. You can't make a game of this size and complexity with only $77,000. For us to survive as a company, and continue making games, it's naïve to think we could have survived on the Kickstarter money alone. Investors and additional money HAS to be secured for a game like this to get made, unless you manage get much more than what you ask for on KS, and in fact we had to spend almost $70,000 of our own money to develop the prototype before we even launched the Kickstarter. And lets be honest here, if we had asked for something like $200,000, there would have been no game.

We have done everything we promised in the Kickstarter, and then some. We implemented several of the stretch goals that we didn't even get funding for, and we've managed to get the funding to get the game translated into German and Spanish. For a game with 200,000 words, it adds up.

I think lot of people frown upon multiplayer because what we are waiting for, and kickstarted, are single player rpg with tactical depth, coming back to the roots. The multiplayer and mmo , traumatized codexers in their youth and that was the start of decline and disappeareance of every single rpgs. Multiplayer seems wasted time that could be dedicated to more important things.

What you waited for, and Kickstarted is still what you're going to get. To quote our last update, the singleplayer campaign is 98% of the game experience and is what 98% of the work has gone into. We're talking about a TCP/IP and hotseat skirmish mode, not MMO style gameplay or social media integration.
Can't wait for the addition of a co-op zombie mode now....:M

Damnit! The secret is out! Perhaps we should do a horse armour DLC instead.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
See the funny thing is that us pledgers still get the game on thursday in more or less the condition it would have been if they actually were releasing. Only the people with no faith have to wait and suffer :M

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, wen´t to work then came back and in that time period the game was delayed and multiplayer was announced... what the hell? didn´t the codex interview claim that they would be on target for release? don´t tell me they didn´t know at the time that the game was being delayed.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Also, if the underlying cause in this is issues with publishers and distributors getting involved as it appears, it also looks really bad to the Kickstarter crowd. The Kickstarter crowd believes they are "donating" to help fund projects that would otherwise be unable to get published and bypassing publisher involvement.

I think it's obvious that, if they are successful with their Kickstarter project, some of these developers are going to enter into business with publishers for future development, future distribution and future projects. But these Kickstarters should be hands free from publisher involvement. Developers need to be, and should be allowed to make money and improve their business. Getting involved with publishers is often going to be the way for some of them to move forward. However, the "right" thing to do (IMO) is to fulfill the promises of those people who initially funded you first. Fiinish the game as described and intented in your Kickstarter campaign. Release it in the ways available to you to the people that backed it. THEN you can enter into a deal with a publisher for further distribution.

But as it is now, it certainly looks as if your kickstarter backers are getting the shaft, because of a deal with a publisher. Basically you are undercutting your original funders, and that's fucked up.

While Kickstarter was a major part of this game becoming successful, and while we're super greatful to all those who backed us, it was still only a part of it. You can't make a game of this size and complexity with only $77,000. For us to survive as a company, and continue making games, it's naïve to think we could have survived on the Kickstarter money alone. Investors and additional money HAS to be secured for a game like this to get made, unless you manage get much more than what you ask for on KS, and in fact we had to spend almost $70,000 of our own money to develop the prototype before we even launched the Kickstarter. And lets be honest here, if we had asked for something like $200,000, there would have been no game.

We have done everything we promised in the Kickstarter, and then some. We implemented several of the stretch goals that we didn't even get funding for, and we've managed to get the funding to get the game translated into German and Spanish. For a game with 200,000 words, it adds up.

What you waited for, and Kickstarted is still what you're going to get. To quote our last update, the singleplayer campaign is 98% of the game experience and is what 98% of the work has gone into. We're talking about a TCP/IP and hotseat skirmish mode, not MMO style gameplay or social media integration.
Can't wait for the addition of a co-op zombie mode now....:M

Damnit! The secret is out! Perhaps we should do a horse armour DLC instead.

Bro, no need to get apologetic. They are pulling David Gaider at you, so you will quit with this forum, start your own blog to complain about TEH INTERNETZ masses and how they hurt your feelings, so they can have even more laughs from the whole story :)

As for the solution to Kickstarter crowd: Release another update like Fargo's first announcment of Wasteland Kickstarter, but instead of going to the dessert, go to the zoo, put some Conquistador armor on you and make the video explaining things with some puma or anaconda in the background. It will do miracles! I tell you!

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Do the Kickstarter pledgers will get the game on Thursday? Or they are also shafted affected by the delay?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Though, I doubt Fargo has that kind of money.

He doesn't need money to sponsor them on Steam. He provides a shortcut to bypass Greenlight, and in exchange he gets a cut of their profits.

If all they get is a shortcut to Steam it sounds like a sour deal to me.

Don't be too sure on that. Legends of Eisenwald has still yet to be Greenlight (they announced another batch today). Frankly I'm surprised AoD managed to make it given the rest of the crap that's getting through.

almondblight

Arcane
Independent developers shafting the people that Kickstarted their project, because publisher deals, news at 11. Had I known about this, I would've waited for the retail/Steam/GamersGate version. :roll:

I'm not sure a three week delay really counts as getting shafted. If it gets released in March, I'd say it's more or less on target.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space

I'm not sure a three week delay really counts as getting shafted. If it gets released in March, I'd say it's more or less on target.

Yeah more or less. :roll:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
we are at a meta-decline point, like, :decline: of :incline: or something, i'm confused by all this.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've never even looked at the release date when pledging to a kickstarter. As long as the game is good, and it doesn't have a Cleveian long development time, I don't care if they take a bit longer than they said they would.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
In any case I am reading my HDD for the Beta on Thursday :smug: . But what is this "beta"? How close is it to the final release in terms of content?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I've never even looked at the release date when pledging to a kickstarter. As long as the game is good, and it doesn't have a Cleveian long development time, I don't care if they take a bit longer than they said they would.
But when the release date is pushed because "distribution issues" and then an unrequested addition is announced (Multiplayer), things start to get weird. Not to mention the Greenlight withdrawn.

Yea yeah, I know: :deadhorse:

almondblight

Arcane
You're a model of consistent arguments.

You mean because I criticized the development time for the Banner Saga being twice as long because they're going to make a separate F2P game first? Yeah man, I can totally see how that's the same as delaying a game for a couple of weeks and adding a simple multiplayer mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom