Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2015 - Expeditions: Viking

Cadmus

Arcane
No future, please.
There's plenty of real expeditions they could be doing like India, Africa has about million expeditions, maybe Australia, Japan, whatever. Their strength is the realism as opposed to sci-fi.

skyst

Augur
I agree that LA is on to something with the Expeditions: formula. Utilizing the viking theme for the next game seemed wise to me, though I adored the conquistador setting, it definitely turned some people off. Vikings appeal enough to fantasy geeks that the game should see more widespread appeal, where many were likely turned off by Conquistador seeming very historical and including firearms and stuff.

It's good to see the LA guys posting on here and seeking input. I'd wager that a positive consensus from us easily swings a dozen or so sales. :hahano:

So, uh, how about hooking us up with some beta/preview code?

Nael

Arcane
With the Vikings settings now they can have female warriors and not be completely historically inaccurate...

:incloosive:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
though I adored the conquistador setting, it definitely turned some people off. Vikings appeal enough to fantasy geeks that the game should see more widespread appeal, where many were likely turned off by Conquistador seeming very historical and including firearms and stuff.

What is widespread appeal? Who are these people that will flock your game because it has elements from the current trends and fashion, It must look like GoT, it must be like Skyrim... stupid goddamn noise. You will never find success like this. A true videogame carves its own place , has its audience hooked to its mechanics. Do you think Thief Dark Project was looking for widespread mainstream success? Sure they wanted the game to do good but I am sure Looking Glass didnt compromise their vision for the game. Thats how you gain widespread appeal, you stick to your strengths, and after all these years Thief gains more fans because the core fans are still there playing, because the core of the game is solid, and the passion never waned.

Fucking stupid rant I hate sundays.

skyst

Augur
What is widespread appeal? Who are these people that will flock your game because it has elements from the current trends and fashion, It must look like GoT, it must be like Skyrim... stupid goddamn noise. You will never find success like this. A true videogame carves its own place , has its audience hooked to its mechanics. Do you think Thief Dark Project was looking for widespread mainstream success? Sure they wanted the game to do good but I am sure Looking Glass didnt compromise their vision for the game. Thats how you gain widespread appeal, you stick to your strengths, and after all these years Thief gains more fans because the core fans are still there playing, because the core of the game is solid, and the passion never waned.

Fucking stupid rant I hate sundays.

The mechanics of Expeditions put it in a genre that prefers medieval fantasy settings. Many people, even here, skipped Conquistador largely due to a disinterest in the setting. Did LA choose Vikings because it might be more popular? Maybe. Conquistador was a great fucking game and not many people played it. Sticking true to their vision probably wouldn't help, especially considering how follow up titles haven't been selling as well lately as the initial efforts (see Shadowrun, Grimrock).

Cadmus

Arcane
The mechanics of Expeditions put it in a genre that prefers medieval fantasy settings. Many people, even here, skipped Conquistador largely due to a disinterest in the setting. Did LA choose Vikings because it might be more popular? Maybe. Conquistador was a great fucking game and not many people played it. Sticking true to their vision probably wouldn't help, especially considering how follow up titles haven't been selling as well lately as the initial efforts (see Shadowrun, Grimrock).
You're one of those fucking idiots who are always busy making predictions about how something will fail because people are dumb so it's better to do what the dumb people want. I hate your kind with a passion, fuck you, die in a car fire.

I don't know how it would help my gaming experience to care if people are turned off by interesting setting, because I like the game. What I don't like is playing shit washed out shovelware that's trying to ride Skyrim's coattails. So if they go totally bankrupt by making a good game for me, it's good for me. If they succeed by making shit, I don't care anymore.

V_K

Arcane
Conquistador was a great fucking game and not many people played it.
Well, technically that is not entirely true. Steamspy shows 135k owners and 90k players, which is a fairly respectable amount for an indie game.
Also, it's not the theme that matters, it's where they take it. Heroine's Quest had Norse mythology as a setting - but Crystal Shard did their research and as a result their setting was anything but cliche. Logic Artists are doing historical vikings, and if they do it justice the game's setting will be just as far from Skyrim and other mainstream shit as Conquistador was. Granted, it's somewhat less original than Conquistador, but still no reason to accuse the devs of all deadly sins.

skyst

Augur
A more popular setting does not necessarily make a game less interesting, less competent or less hardcore in any way whatsoever. In fact, a more popular setting makes it more interesting to more people. Be as edgy and hipster as you'd like, picking a super obscure setting isn't going to magically make the game a slam dunk while choosing one currently very popular won't make it immediate shit washed out shovelware or whatever either. If LA is planning to make a sellout shit game, it's going to be a sellout shit game, regardless of where it takes place.

I'm surprised that Conquistador has 135k owners, good for them! I stand firm in that a follow up title without more mainstream appeal (again, choosing vikings in no way makes the game less good or interesting) would sell far worse for them. I took a glance at the achievements for Conquistador and only 19% of the players made it through to the second half (arguably the second third) of the game and only 5% completed the game.

V_K

Arcane
I took a glance at the achievements for Conquistador and only 19% of the players made it through to the second half (arguably the second third) of the game and only 5% completed the game.
Well, they did kinda shoot themselves in the leg with this two-part structure: fi you're thourough with the first campaign, by its end you've experienced most of the mechanics the game has to offer and the story conveniently wraps up, so you loose a lot of incentive to play further. That's what happened to me, for example - I'm still to start playing Mexico, even though a liked a lot about the first chapter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Before you make assumptions about Conquistador's sales numbers I suggest you check what sorts of sales and bundles it's had.

V_K

Arcane
Which is why I also brough the players statistic up - which is fairly good too, a lot of games have lower ratio or even total number even with better sales figures.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Making the Logic Artists meet the last one... What is this, save the last dance with the one who brung ya?

I contacted them last because I wagered that they'd be willing to change their schedule for us if need be. :oops:

It turned out that they were already fully booked, but Alex offered me an irregular Friday 4 PM appointment.

Atomical

Logic Artists
Developer
I contacted them last because I wagered that they'd be willing to change their schedule for us if need be. :oops:

It turned out that they were already fully booked, but Alex offered me an irregular Friday 4 PM appointment.

I was worried that we wouldn't get to show the Codex our Gamescom wares as the schedule filled and we didn't hear back about a meet. But it worked out for the best as Bubbles and I spoke at length and needed more than the regularly allotted 30 mins to cover it all. Thanks Bubbles for typing up all of my rants!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom