Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: PAX East 2014

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One of the few very interesting and fun to read writeups. Not well written, but just something about it is interesting. The thing about Schafer doesn't surprise me entirely, but it's saddening that my fear about his real personality not being so jolly and fun as he was on those kickstarter videos were true. He was clearly just selling his game.

Maybe he's just depressed Broken Age sales are dragging his company down the shitter.

Kz3r0

Arcane
One of the few very interesting and fun to read writeups. Not well written, but just something about it is interesting. The thing about Schafer doesn't surprise me entirely, but it's saddening that my fear about his real personality not being so jolly and fun as he was on those kickstarter videos were true. He was clearly just selling his game.

Maybe he's just depressed Broken Age sales are dragging his company down the shitter.
Let's hope for the best.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Very fun read. probably the only write up of pax that isn't full of hyped up bullshit. I'm surprised by Tim Schaefer, would have figured him to be the type to take criticism in stride and joke about...I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was just burned out by the convention, but ehhh. I know a lot of people are upset by how small the indie section of PAX is, so maybe that'll change in the future, and hopefully bring more pc centric games along with it. I don't see why the fuck AAA devs even need to go to conventions like this.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the few very interesting and fun to read writeups.
:thumbsup:
Not well written,
:rpgcodex:*
but just something about it is interesting.
:thumbsup:

You try writing with one finger!
:troll:

I do want to say thanks to everyone for their encouraging posts (you never know what to expect at the Codex :D). I really enjoyed writing my first Kool Kodex Kontent so much more than the trip itself and hope that I can contribute more in the future. The Codex truly is the last bastion of my favorite hobby, cRPGs!
:love:
You did a good job, so we should thank you for the trip to PAX and the write up.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Even if I never got into space sims myself, I really enjoy reading a lot of the original content pieces Codex has to offer. Thanks for being a bro mindx2 and sharing your experiences. (also thanks Infinitron for editing and not posting it yourself for brofist harvesting :lol:)

:brodex:

I also went to PAX East this year, and I enjoyed it a bunch. I went for the entire day on Sunday. I didn't go to any of the large booths (LoL, Borderlands, etc.) (although I didn't go to any panels either). I only few times I waited in line were very short times to play some indie games. I took a lot of pics with cosplaying girls which was a good time. The one game big budget game that I played was the new soul reaver game, because it literally had no line. That was pretty fun.

I mostly went to PAX for the board/tabletop games, not the videogames. And yes, there were not cRPGS there at all, but there was a whole MESS of kickstarted/kickstarter-ing indie games. I REALLY wanted to play darkest dungeon but didn't get a chance.

Good article, I enjoyed.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also went to PAX East this year, and I enjoyed it a bunch. I went for the entire day on Sunday. I didn't go to any of the large booths (LoL, Borderlands, etc.) (although I didn't go to any panels either). I only few times I waited in line were very short times to play some indie games. I took a lot of pics with cosplaying girls which was a good time. The one game big budget game that I played was the new soul reaver game, because it literally had no line. That was pretty fun.

I mostly went to PAX for the board/tabletop games, not the videogames. And yes, there were not cRPGS there at all, but there was a whole MESS of kickstarted/kickstarter-ing indie games. I REALLY wanted to play darkest dungeon but didn't get a chance.

Good article, I enjoyed.
You're right about the table-top portion of PAX. However, I am not very familiar with that aspect of gaming so didn't feel I could report on it with any real relevance. Magic, The Gathering seemed to dominate most of that section but I did see a number of familiar KS games being demoed. The coolest thing I did see was a long reproduction of the Death Star trench run from Star Wars that people were playing the miniature game with. It must be the child in me but I still think miniatures are pretty cool and I wanted to play with them. :D

Bulba

Learned
This thread has been a great source of laughs and an interesting read. Thanks.

I can't believe you ate that fucking thing. Meat tornado? Why would anyone do that?
I did it for the Codex, man... I did it for the team!!
:kwafuckyeah:
you actuality ate that shit? I thought you took a picture and threw it away. lol
as for the gamepad and C.Roberts.... that's the reason I've not backed the star citizen - he used the gamepad in the ks video so I thought it will be shit

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I went to gamescom once. See, it was paid for. I could scarcely believe such a place exists if I hadn't seen it with mine own eyes.

It's still a haze to me. . I remember 90% walking, playing like one demo, booth babes and people trying to make you customers. That's what it is really. It's a marketing expo.
It's not even so bad that these things are so dissapointing, with nary a worthy event in sight. It's the fact that people seem to enjoy going to them, walking around, buying worthless things, oogling the girls, and then saying they are fans of good videogames.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
mindx2 said:
The main showroom floor was such a mass of people that I felt like Frodo Merry or Pippin in a forest of Ents.
Fixed for lore accuracy.
:troll:

Seriously, though, it was a very nice and entertaining write-up.

Roberts seems like a nice guy and dat meat tornado YUM!
That's what she said :smug:

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I think Tim meant to say "Story and characters were the focus. Not the puzzles" by that. From what i gather, his main focus was making good story/world(Which from what i heard sucked anyway) so he might have considered the gameplay unimportant compared to his main focus.

This is sadly becoming kind of a trend with old designers, they forsake quality challenging gameplay in hopes of gaining new fans and they arrogantly think their use of story and world building would be enough to attract the old fans.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
This is sadly becoming kind of a trend with old designers, they forsake quality challenging gameplay in hopes of gaining new fans and they arrogantly think their use of story and world building would be enough.
You could say that when it comes to video games, the world is not enough. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom