Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Pillars of Eternity Revisited

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I loved the MotB execution and highly applaud it. Also anyone who found the spirit meter punishing needs to be shot or git gud... grumble.

Playing BG1/2 with rest spamming is EZ mode; the dungeons are designed with "realistic" D&D style resting in mind. The fact this is not enforced is probably what made the game popular in the first place. Before you protest, the whole point of a Wizard in D&D is to /carefully/ decide whether you cast a spell now or later; none of that spam every encounter shit. That's what your Fighters are for.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer already said that 'hard counters' are an integral part of PoE 3.0 and they weren't added earlier because they were afraid of confusing games journos and SA scrubs. Which was the whole point of the graze/hit system. People graze their way towards victory without needing to learn the game. That was a criticism of the system going back to the Sensuki/Roxor era.

There's no real reason to slightly reinvent the wheel when 'hard counters' already put us in a spot where things 'play very well'. And Sawyer always knew that. Shed off your Roguey memes, everyone.

Damage immunities were added. It's unlikely that PoE will ever intentionally have true hard counters (ie, "mage duels").

I say "intentionally" because PoE arguably accidentally had hard counters in the form of certain battles that could be extremely challenging without a Priest's Prayers. PoE2 will spread some Prayer-like abilities to other classes to fix that.

Tigranes

Arcane
The only issue with the Spirit Meter is if you were playing for the first time, picked a very unlucky sequence to visit areas and solve quests in, throw in some of your own wanderlust, and ended up fast traveling 80 times.

Otherwise, when it hungers and makes demands of you, that's what it's supposed to do, it worked well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's unlikely that PoE will ever intentionally have "true" hard counters (ie, mage duels).
I don't see the difference since the term was employed to mean a lot more than just BG2's mage duels. BG1 doesn't have those and the Basilisk versus nearby undead pal was seen as a hard counter.

Sure, or basilisk encounters. "Lock-and-key" type battles is what I mean.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I loved the MotB execution and highly applaud it. Also anyone who found the spirit meter punishing needs to be shot or git gud... grumble.

Playing BG1/2 with rest spamming is EZ mode; the dungeons are designed with "realistic" D&D style resting in mind. The fact this is not enforced is probably what made the game popular in the first place. Before you protest, the whole point of a Wizard in D&D is to /carefully/ decide whether you cast a spell now or later; none of that spam every encounter shit. That's what your Fighters are for.

Exactly, the power level of Wizard spells in AD&D is balanced out by their per rest limitations, this completely goes out the window if you can use your most powerful spells to steamroll every battle. No limitations to it is basically a self-imposed difficulty level at the very best.

Another game which has a very nice, challenging but fair resource management is expeditions: conquistador. However the turn-based nature of the game which makes traveling between towns inherently costly cannot be replicated in a RTwP. Unless you put them between map transitions.

Delterius

Arcane
It's unlikely that PoE will ever intentionally have "true" hard counters (ie, mage duels).
I don't see the difference since the term was employed to mean a lot more than just BG2's mage duels. BG1 doesn't have those and the Basilisk versus nearby undead pal was seen as a hard counter.

Sure, or basilisk encounters. "Lock-and-key" type battles is what I mean.
Well, the PoE equivalent is the entire Priest class. Fighting mind affecting enemies without those Prayers is worse than death. Akin to Protection against Petrification versus Basilisks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like that sort of thing. Granted, I was like 12 at the time, but buying potions to protect against petrification before going on an adventure just feels like such a nice thing to do. That's why I love RoA 2 so much; that feeling of satisfaction you get when you prepare well and do well. Your characters in that game go far if everyone has plates, mugs, silverware, a bedroll, good boots (in good condition), whetstones, well-sharpened blades (after every fight) etc. You can argue this is all busywork that is best skipped but at least at the time it felt very fitting, like I was a real adventuring party preparing for a big journey. It was a blast restocking food when I came upon a village, filling my waterskins, etc. I miss that sort of thing... Poorly implemented, though, food systems are horrible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
PoE2 will spread some Prayer-like abilities to other classes to fix that.

Really? Great news, where did JS say that?

Did you miss the whole thing about Inspirations? https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/161974572686/josh-positively-thrilled-with-the-poe2-e3

In Deadfire, most buffs are now classified as Inspirations, which grant bonuses and/or counter Afflictions. A lot of classes have access to a variety of Inspirations, which means that they can grant themselves (or others) those counters.

Sizzle

Arcane
PoE2 will spread some Prayer-like abilities to other classes to fix that.

Really? Great news, where did JS say that?

Did you miss the whole thing about Inspirations? https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/161974572686/josh-positively-thrilled-with-the-poe2-e3

In Deadfire, most buffs are now classified as Inspirations, which grant bonuses and/or counter Afflictions. A lot of classes have access to a variety of Inspirations, which means that they can grant themselves (or others) those counters.

Nah, just forgot about it :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
SA has noticed this review: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=209#post474087410

Making a game that a plurality of the Codex claims to hate but somehow can't stop talking about is Obsidian's finest achievement.

PoE arguably accidentally had hard counters in the form of certain battles that could be extremely challenging without a Priest's Prayers.

:rpgcodex:

this is why u play w/o priest if u a real manz

How about a no-priest, no-scrolls playthrough? :cool:

Ulfhednar

Savant

Sizzle

Arcane
That is on story mode though

The only explanations for excessive FF are 1) you don't know what you're doing or 2) you are being careless.
3) FF is disabled (ie story mode)

I think FF is permanently turned off in PoE2, regardless of difficulty mode.
Really... why keep the different circles on fireballs, etc?

It's entirely possible I could be confusing it with something else.

torpid

Liturgist
I say "intentionally" because PoE arguably accidentally had hard counters in the form of certain battles that could be extremely challenging without a Priest's Prayers. PoE2 will spread some Prayer-like abilities to other classes to fix that.

lol, they are kinda self-parodic with their balance *bobbing sawyer head*

Sentinel

Arcane
They really aren't though, because no one actually cares what they think.

Nerds like them have no spine and are gonna buy every CRPG anyway. They might hem and haw and shift their gelatinous 300 lb mass in their chairs in outrage, but they'll buy it anyway.
Oh no
:(

Ulfhednar

Savant

The only explanations for excessive FF are 1) you don't know what you're doing or 2) you are being careless.

I hope not, this is half the reason Tyranny was a sub-par game.

Sizzle

Arcane

Not exactly half, but it certainly helped :D

Ulfhednar

Savant

Not exactly half, but it certainly helped :D
I rounded up...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Don't spread FAKE NEWS plz https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post461780845

76WLhMR.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom