Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Pillars of Eternity Revisited

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Another retarded piece of gaming journalism no one asked for and no one wanted.

Why are you referring to this cum-gargling ode to Sawyer as "gaming journalism" ?? You are giving this waaaay too much credit my friend

Odinson

Novice
If you crave balance to the degree that Josh Sawyer does, D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder are kryptonite, but if you love having an infinite array of character customization options at your disposal, they just about represent the pinnacle of RPG design.

Everything wrong in this text is summarized above.

(If I want true customization, and not a patchwork system, I play GURPS)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Josh Sawyer looks like one of the more competent people in the room.
Shillfinitron getting desperate :lol::negative:
This last one I'm forced to agree... Wasteland 2, Tides of Numanuma, Tyranny, Siege of Dragonspear, Sword Coast Legends... despite all its failings, Sawyer did deliver A LOT MORE than most of its peers.

Special kudos for going back, admitting his mistake and adding hard counters after release even with all those sales, while Colin McComb is still like "THESE FIVE PEOPLE ON TWITTER LOVE MY GAME, IT'S A CULT MASTERPIECE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" even after flopping HARD.

Sentinel

Arcane
I mean, I liked PoE, but I just really have to wonder why Infinitron insists on posting so many (positive) re-reviews of PoE.

Is it just blind fanboyism or what?

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Whether the combat in 3.0 is substantially better or not with my limited gaming time I have no chance of going back and replaying the entire game and expansion anytime soon.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
God, roguey

And lets call it a "Retrospective" as if some classic RPG :lol::lol::lol::lol:

fucking jews

The White March part 2 was released in January 2016, the more or less last patch around July of that year. Reviews are for relatively recent releases.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Although this game is centered around combat and the characters are optimized for combat, there's no reward for fighting since you don't get xp for killing things.

FFS, you get XP for killing new types of monsters for a while until you "learn" that type to 100%.

I wish that butch fighter girl in the intro hadn't died.

2d9e0y1.jpg

:negative:

One thing I missed in PoE were recruitable evil characters - those were some of the most interesting in BG2.

Viata

Arcane
the fierce critics of 2015 no longer so sure of themselves. It's hard to argue with success, after all. In a world of Torments and Tyrannys, with 900,000 copies sold and a successfully crowdfunded sequel on the way, Josh Sawyer suddenly looks like one of the more competent people in the room
:notsureifserious:

almondblight

Arcane
That said, a lot what Darth Roxor said about the base game is still valid, and therefore (at least in parts) repeated here.

There's stuff in the Roxxor review that is simply not true. For example:

Third, which is mostly an extension of the second, could be a band-aid solution for a need that has arisen due to PoE’s relative lack of hard crowd control and disables – in BG/IWD, if a dude broke through to hack up your mages, you could cast hold person and be done with him. In PoE, not so much.

There's actually a bunch of spells in PoE that do this (like Fetid Caress and Mental Binding).

Or this:

Having your characters get knocked out in combat instead of dying promotes carelessness, nearly invalidates all healing spells (because they are bad to begin with, and also because they effectively make your character take more damage that ‘counts’ during combat by healing endurance and not health) and completely eliminates the need to manage resources.

Yeah, the enemy won't take health away from party member A after they're knocked out; they'll take health from party members B, C, D, E and F instead. And because party member A is knocked out and not able to help, the enemy is going to have more time to damage the rest of the party (my characters also got afflictions when they were knocked out, but maybe that's new).

Seems most Codexers played the game on the lower difficulties where they didn't even have to pay attention to these things. Even the Roxxor review said he was playing it on hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom