Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Retrospective: Roguey dismantles white privilege in Tim Cain's Temple of Elemental Evil

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Someone did put [Review by Roguey] at the top though. :P Almost, but not quite...
The first iterations of the article picture (not mine) contained the word 'review'. I changed it to A Roguey Feature in my attempt - the one published. Did you like it?

Has many valid points but otherwise a poor, bland write up with few points of interest which honestly don't really necessitate as much dwelling on them as Roguey does. I only wish it was otherwise to hit home what really mattered and why they are the way they are.

Intellectual used to be something to ruminate and to cherish.

Now literally anything can be intellectual.

This post is intellectual.

Oh yeah, it's now the first article to have mention of a political term or two with this particular game among a thousand others. Good catch but still, Big Fucking Kudos.

Conclusion: author of the article harassed by radial menus in childhood. Too bad because the radial menu fucking rocked and your opinion is wrong, because, it just is.

Also, seriously, let's not put anything on the front page that includes blind worship of any given developer as this one does.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
> Now literally anything can be intellectual.
>This post is intellectual.

You postmodernist you.

Now that you bring it up, no synthesis, no patterns. Just a list of factoids on an obscure cult classic. No conclusions drawn. No opinion.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
While the forums are rampant with trolling and blatant shitposting, I always viewed the front page and news to be a somewhat distanced entity with at least a bit of a semblance of quality to it. But it's nice to see that has gone down the shitter as well and we have dropped down to Kotaku's level with our own brand of controversial clickbait articles.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am convinced Roguey is in fact Mephala, or an agent of hers. Roguey is a master manipulator and the ultimate troll, feeding of the chaos she creates.

Roguey doesn't even need to start an argument by himself, the mere mention of its name carries enough power to derail threads and engulf them in conflict.

I salute you, Roguey. Your work is to be respected and admired.

J1M

Arcane
Officially endorsing this as a Codex review was a bad idea. I'd go so far as to say it is so poorly written and the content so dull that the only possible reason it was posted was because of Roguey's female privilege.

DefJam101

Arcane
Can we ask Cleve to write up some retrospectives on the Wizardry games?

That would be some front page worthy shit, let me tell you

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Should have had Roguey review that princess game that upset everyone by being on the frontpage a little while ago.
While the forums are rampant with trolling and blatant shitposting, I always viewed the front page and news to be a somewhat distanced entity with at least a bit of a semblance of quality to it. But it's nice to see that has gone down the shitter as well and we have dropped down to Kotaku's level with our own brand of controversial clickbait articles.
It's not even the first of Roguey's Retrospectives (a monthly event soon enough, I'm sure) and definitely not the first poorly received front page article. This "NOW it's ruined" stuff is a bit odd.

BrickManslab

Educated
It was alright, I don't really know if it needed to be front-page but then, I don't really understand getting UPSET about it because there's scads of front-page updates that get like 3 comments because absolutely no-one gives a shit, and yet no-one shakes their jowls about how the codex is dead when those mountains of white-noise come up

Holy shit

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Brofisted unironically. Cleve is a Codex legend and a fantastic writer.

I'd look into doing it after he's done with Grimoire (hah), but I doubt he remembers the games well enough to do a proper job, and he probably wouldn't feel like replaying them.

otsego

Cipher
Feeding the trolling by responding to this, but...

The fuck is wrong with you, Codex?

Jesus.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Roguey , I had no idea that Zuggtmoy's sexed-up new image was designed by Troika and adapted by WOTC. For some reason I had always thought it was the reverse, since later WOTC seemed to sexualize many of their drawn women. That's some decent trivia right there.

You mentioned the challenges of the elemental nodes, but do you have to fight the creatures encountered there, or is it possible to get the McGuffins you need from each node and rush out without destroying all opposition? I'm specifically thinking about the Galeb Durhs due to their slowness. I remember getting stuck in that node and stopping my playthrough of the game, which means I pretty much got close to completing the game, but never did. I have the game on GOG, so eventually I plan to take it on again.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Brofisted unironically. Cleve is a Codex legend and a fantastic writer.

I'd look into doing it after he's done with Grimoire (hah), but I doubt he remembers the games well enough to do a proper job, and he probably wouldn't feel like replaying them.
Cleve frequently replays Wiz games, and he's very knowledgeable about them.

Indranys

Savant
Yay another retrospective, this will be gud...

"shapely humanoid woman with nipple-less breasts and exposed vagina."

shapely humanoid woman with nipple-less breasts and exposed vagina.

shapely humanoid woman with nipple-less breasts and exposed vagina.

:prosper: Please stop it dear god please!!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't see the problem, nipple-less breasts are consistent with the "bulbous" description. :smug:

Monocause

Arcane
A nice piece, though I didn't really like how the bits where you described your playthrough sounded like bragging and how dismissive you were of other people's experiences with that game; also, if you look around the internets plenty people found ToEE quite on the challenging side. Veteran gamers with god knows how much experience in disseminating systems who optimise effortlessly are only a small slice of the target audience.

About half of your commentary on design flaws was actually saying that you found the combat too easy or boring or both which does not automatically constitute design flaws.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am sorry but this isn't actually a very interesting read. Some informations are quite nice but mostly it's just Roguey's diary of "And then this encounter was piss easy and I'm awesome". I don't think this should be on front page, I also fail to see the lulz aspect in it, it's just, well, not very interesting
xFU1yoV.gif

Also I honestly fail to see what's so incredibly racist in describing someone as "exotic" but maybe that's just my German Nazi genes

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Roguey is just not a good writer. You got the right theme for the codex, but execution needs work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom