Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: ADOM

AMG

Arbiter
All roguelikes rely on trial and error just by the virtue of featuring permadeath. You have to see the content to be able to plan and play around it. Whether you resort to guides and spoilers or discover the game at your own pace depends on how you want to experience the game.
I'd say that most of the popular roguelikes are theoretically always winnable when you mastered the game. It just differs in what it takes to master them.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
While that's probably true in practice (I certainly hope nobody was dumb enough to make a game outright impossible to win without spoilers) in theory you could easily make a game that you'd never manage to win without a guide of some sort. I feel like a lot of games tend too closely towards that in an attempt to be novel. Puzzle elements don't add much to the game, since they're generally the kind of obscure senseless crap you need hints for anyways, so it's basically just a password you have to find in the game at least once and can then forget about from then on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom