Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Blackguards 2

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Blackguards 2; Daedalic Entertainment

As every German denizen of the Codex knows, deutsche Rollenspiele sind ausnahmslos ein Grund zur Freude. So it was in Blackguards' case, too, which made us genuinely happy. Can we say the same about Blackguards 2? Of course we can, especially when it is reviewed by esteemed community member Bubbles - an authentic German and a true patriot:

The German people take pride in excellence. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the quality of German RPGs: from the classic Realms of Arkania trilogy through the transgressive Albion and the ground breaking Ambermoon to the blockbuster Gothic and Risen franchises, the thread of German game design winds through the very DNA of role play gaming. Even the greatest American games draw upon German talent: who could imagine a Planescape: Torment without Guido Henkel, or a Pillars of Eternity without J.E. Sawyer? Germany's game developers have taken their work ethic from the manual labourers who built the Autobahn and dug the great coal pits of the Ruhrgebiet: they labour in the service of a greater good, striving tirelessly towards perfection.​

Read his review, replete with fitting captions and insightful commentary, and share in his pride and joy. See him cut to the chase:

Blackguards 2 is simpler, sleeker, slimmer than its predecessor; it is a mellow sort of game.​

Or analyze the strategic minutiae while never losing sight of the bigger picture:

In fact, Blackguards 2 nicely facilitates aggressive gameplay by removing all death penalties and auto-healing and resurrecting your group after every battle, even when they are isolated in the middle of a dungeon. In the first game, players were forced into a resource management metagame that required them to sacrifice resources (money, potions, or camping supplies) to regenerate missing hp and mana and cure the “wounds” debuff after battle. The problem with this system was obvious: if you spent all your money, drank all your potions, wasted your camping supplies by resting after every battle, and then had to sell your weapons to be able to afford healing, you might end up in a situation where it was absolutely impossible to progress in the game. As a hardened veteran of German RPGs I never encountered any problems with this system myself, but it is easy to imagine a less conscientious fan from the new world running into severe trouble with this kind of dead end mechanic.​

Not to mention taking the game's knee-jerk detractors to task:

The game's detractors have made great sport of the fact that the scope of the optional content in BG2 does not come close to the amount and variety of side quests in even just the third chapter of the original Blackguards. However, this decreased focus on optional content has given Daedalic more time to work on the most complex features of the core game; specifically, on the boss fights and the AI, as well as on the core cast of characters and the story itself.​

Only to deliver the pointed, well thought-out conclusion:

Playing Blackguards 2 after Blackguards 1 is remarkably similar to the experience of playing Dragon Age 2 after Dragon Age: Origins. Some players will prefer the first game for its sheer volume and “old school” flair, while others will be drawn to its sleeker, more assured successor. Some will appreciate BG2's greater focus on storytelling, its unique depiction of mental illness, the tightly progressing story suffused with a malodorous air of inevitability, the greater emphasis on companion interactions, the deft use of negative space in map design as well as in character development, and the tight focus on high-density, high-volume wave combat.​

Are you man enough to enjoy Blackguards 2? The full review - one of our best to date, if you ask me - has all the answers: RPG Codex Review: Blackguards 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This review is recommended especially for fans of our recent Dead State review :troll:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
:salute:

"This is the kind of soldier who sees three of his comrades step into a spiked wooden board trap in a wide open hallway and die in painful agony, then steps right into the same square; the kind of soldier who skips their turn while standing inside a burning bush."

:lol:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I haven't played the game itself, but I strongly suspect reading this review of it was probably more entertaining.

Well done.

Weasel
Superb, the long-awaited Bubbles review! I've only read a few snippets and it's already a classic.

:kfc:

Next: Bubbles reviews PoE

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The sad thing is, some quotes from this prestigious review might well find their way onto promotional materials.

Gulnar

Scholar
Well, unless there is such a diffuse amount of sarcasm that i can't discern it, the review is positive. So why shouldn't they use it for promotion? We are a prestigious website after all.

:troll:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, unless there is such a diffuse amount of sarcasm that i can't discern it, the review is positive. So why shouldn't they use it for promotion? We are a prestigious website after all.

Can't tell if the troll is for "prestigious magazine" (that was the original desciption, right?) or for the "unless there is such a diffuse amount of sarcams that i can't discern it." Assuming the first sentence of your post is not itself sarcastic, then, as I read the review, almost every piece of praise in it that is directed at Blackguards 2 is, in fact, sarcastic.

Gulnar

Scholar

Can't tell if the troll is for "prestigious magazine" (that was the original desciption, right?) or for the "unless there is such a diffuse amount of sarcams that i can't discern it." Assuming the first sentence of your post is not itself sarcastic, then, as I read the review, almost every piece of praise in it that is directed at Blackguards 2 is, in fact, sarcastic.

I... actually liked blackguard 2.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
German devs always fail perfectly if they try to make games for the non-German market.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I... actually liked blackguard 2.

Don't worry, you're not alone. Cassia's German voice acting in particular is really excellent and deserves exposure, that's why I mentioned it.

The sad thing is, some quotes from this prestigious review might well find their way onto promotional materials.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? The Codex is more deserving of exposure than most of the sources they're currently using for PR (bits from a never finished RPS pre-review and quotes from Steam curators).

Weasel
Excellent read, thanks Bubbles, can't help wondering what some casual non-Codex readers will make of it if they stumble across the review :cool:

small typo: "At first this kind of balance adjustment might be difficult to adept to, but it will soon feel exhilarating when you burn down a dozen end game enemies in just two or three turns."

Should be 'adapt'.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After reading this review, I cannot decide which is the greater triumph of German literature: it or Blackguards 2.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, so...

noob / not-in-the-mood-for-thinking-right-now-player -> BG2
veteran / I-want-a-challenge-ffs-player -> BG1

Sounds fine. Nicely written review!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rich with buttery sarcasm, this review is a feast for the eyes and mind. I am duly humbled. And that screenshot with the archer fight just about had me in fucking tears.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:excellent:

A magnificently written review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom