Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Blackguards 2

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Blackguards 2; Daedalic Entertainment

As every German denizen of the Codex knows, deutsche Rollenspiele sind ausnahmslos ein Grund zur Freude. So it was in Blackguards' case, too, which made us genuinely happy. Can we say the same about Blackguards 2? Of course we can, especially when it is reviewed by esteemed community member Bubbles - an authentic German and a true patriot:

The German people take pride in excellence. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the quality of German RPGs: from the classic Realms of Arkania trilogy through the transgressive Albion and the ground breaking Ambermoon to the blockbuster Gothic and Risen franchises, the thread of German game design winds through the very DNA of role play gaming. Even the greatest American games draw upon German talent: who could imagine a Planescape: Torment without Guido Henkel, or a Pillars of Eternity without J.E. Sawyer? Germany's game developers have taken their work ethic from the manual labourers who built the Autobahn and dug the great coal pits of the Ruhrgebiet: they labour in the service of a greater good, striving tirelessly towards perfection.​

Read his review, replete with fitting captions and insightful commentary, and share in his pride and joy. See him cut to the chase:

Blackguards 2 is simpler, sleeker, slimmer than its predecessor; it is a mellow sort of game.​

Or analyze the strategic minutiae while never losing sight of the bigger picture:

In fact, Blackguards 2 nicely facilitates aggressive gameplay by removing all death penalties and auto-healing and resurrecting your group after every battle, even when they are isolated in the middle of a dungeon. In the first game, players were forced into a resource management metagame that required them to sacrifice resources (money, potions, or camping supplies) to regenerate missing hp and mana and cure the “wounds” debuff after battle. The problem with this system was obvious: if you spent all your money, drank all your potions, wasted your camping supplies by resting after every battle, and then had to sell your weapons to be able to afford healing, you might end up in a situation where it was absolutely impossible to progress in the game. As a hardened veteran of German RPGs I never encountered any problems with this system myself, but it is easy to imagine a less conscientious fan from the new world running into severe trouble with this kind of dead end mechanic.​

Not to mention taking the game's knee-jerk detractors to task:

The game's detractors have made great sport of the fact that the scope of the optional content in BG2 does not come close to the amount and variety of side quests in even just the third chapter of the original Blackguards. However, this decreased focus on optional content has given Daedalic more time to work on the most complex features of the core game; specifically, on the boss fights and the AI, as well as on the core cast of characters and the story itself.​

Only to deliver the pointed, well thought-out conclusion:

Playing Blackguards 2 after Blackguards 1 is remarkably similar to the experience of playing Dragon Age 2 after Dragon Age: Origins. Some players will prefer the first game for its sheer volume and “old school” flair, while others will be drawn to its sleeker, more assured successor. Some will appreciate BG2's greater focus on storytelling, its unique depiction of mental illness, the tightly progressing story suffused with a malodorous air of inevitability, the greater emphasis on companion interactions, the deft use of negative space in map design as well as in character development, and the tight focus on high-density, high-volume wave combat.​

Are you man enough to enjoy Blackguards 2? The full review - one of our best to date, if you ask me - has all the answers: RPG Codex Review: Blackguards 2

• Brofist Brofist x 32
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Come here so I can brofist you for this display of majesty, Bubbles , you magnificent bastard

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This review is recommended especially for fans of our recent Dead State review :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  4. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    This is a fucking masterpiece.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Scrooge Female Quota Staff Patron

Scrooge
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    :salute:

"This is the kind of soldier who sees three of his comrades step into a spiked wooden board trap in a wide open hallway and die in painful agony, then steps right into the same square; the kind of soldier who skips their turn while standing inside a burning bush."

:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    I haven't played the game itself, but I strongly suspect reading this review of it was probably more entertaining.

Well done.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Superb, the long-awaited Bubbles review! I've only read a few snippets and it's already a classic.

:kfc:

Next: Bubbles reviews PoE

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. Gulnar Scholar

Gulnar
    A nice review.

^ Top  
  9. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    The sad thing is, some quotes from this prestigious review might well find their way onto promotional materials.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. Gulnar Scholar

Gulnar
    Well, unless there is such a diffuse amount of sarcasm that i can't discern it, the review is positive. So why shouldn't they use it for promotion? We are a prestigious website after all.

Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sergiu64 Arcane

Sergiu64
    I found the use of abbreviation for the title of Blackguards 2 to be confusing as BG2 is normally reserved for a totally different RPGClassic...

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  12. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Can't tell if the troll is for "prestigious magazine" (that was the original desciption, right?) or for the "unless there is such a diffuse amount of sarcams that i can't discern it." Assuming the first sentence of your post is not itself sarcastic, then, as I read the review, almost every piece of praise in it that is directed at Blackguards 2 is, in fact, sarcastic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    What a fantastic review! Moar, Bubbles!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Gulnar Scholar

Gulnar
    I... actually liked blackguard 2.

^ Top  
  15. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    German devs always fail perfectly if they try to make games for the non-German market.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Don't worry, you're not alone. Cassia's German voice acting in particular is really excellent and deserves exposure, that's why I mentioned it.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? The Codex is more deserving of exposure than most of the sources they're currently using for PR (bits from a never finished RPS pre-review and quotes from Steam curators).

• Brofist Brofist x 43
    ^ Top  
  17. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    80 posts in 2.5 years -- I think this is probably Darth Roxor's trolling alt.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Excellent read, thanks Bubbles, can't help wondering what some casual non-Codex readers will make of it if they stumble across the review :cool:

small typo: "At first this kind of balance adjustment might be difficult to adept to, but it will soon feel exhilarating when you burn down a dozen end game enemies in just two or three turns."

Should be 'adapt'.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Could actually have meant "might be too adept, too..."

Nah.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. muds_animal_friend Arcane Patron

muds_animal_friend

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Durante Learned Patron

Durante
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    After reading this review, I cannot decide which is the greater triumph of German literature: it or Blackguards 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Okay, so...

noob / not-in-the-mood-for-thinking-right-now-player -> BG2
    veteran / I-want-a-challenge-ffs-player -> BG1

Sounds fine. Nicely written review!

^ Top  
  23. Awakened_Yeti Augur Developer

Awakened_Yeti
    from the nation that brought us schadenfreude and weltschmerz...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Rich with buttery sarcasm, this review is a feast for the eyes and mind. I am duly humbled. And that screenshot with the archer fight just about had me in fucking tears.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)