Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Blackguards 2

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Mar 6, 2015.

1. torpid Liturgist

torpid
    lol, it actually took a while for me to notice what the hell was going on

[​IMG]

Well done!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. AbounI Arcane Patron

AbounI
    Thanks bubbles for this great review.

^ Top  
  3. Durante Learned Patron

Durante
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Bubbles is not the only one to recognize Daedelic tirelessly working towards perfection:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. AstroZombie Arcane

AstroZombie
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Terrific.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. VioletShadow Sensate Patron

VioletShadow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :excellent:

Well done. This is a fine review, indeed.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good job, Bubbles. And this is perfect timing, since I just finished the first Blackguards (which I really enjoyed) and am quite interested in the differences between the two.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Good review.

^ Top  
  8. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Checked for some reactions, had a few laughs on Neogaf.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1005460

et tu Durante? :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Yet:

[​IMG]

I hope that Daedalic learns that word of mouth is much more powerful than a bunch of retarded journous...

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  10. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    We also brought the world kindergarden, blitzkrieg and abseiling. Hard to decide which we are the most proud of.

Haven't had time to read the full review yet, but from the snippets it will be a good read. Rather depressing though.

Any news on whether this streamlining at least got them the coveted sales/profits and mainstream-appreciation? Or were we correct in predicting a trainwreck? /EDIT: Ha ha.
    BG1 fixed a lot of issues in patches. Any chance of this happening in BG2, too?

^ Top  
  11. Tramboi Cipher

Tramboi
    Biergarten, mostly.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  12. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The problems can't be fixed unfortunately. The game is rotten at its core, both in terms of system and encounterdesign. It's a spectacular failure, really.

^ Top  
  13. Perkel Arcane

Perkel

It is called "well, last game was good and now they are doing sequel which will be only better ! They can't fuck it up ! Right ?"

Same reason why Diablo 3, X-Rebirth and other "amazing" titles sold so much.

^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You didn't look very closely at the image felipe posted, did you

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    welp you are right.

^ Top  
  16. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    Good review, I love the sarcasm. :)

I was active on the Steam forums shortly after Blackguards was released. Every retard and his mom was complaining that the game was too hard and too confusing (e.g. my char had a hit chance of 70% and he missed! IMPOSSIBRU!! And then my party wiped!) - even on easy. Nice to see how Daedalic took that to heart and drastically "improved" the sequel for everyone.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Very good review! It tells you what you want to know, is entertaining to read and has a personal opinion on the matter.

^ Top  
  18. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    It's a typical case of "vocal minority". I was part of the closed beta on the first game, you had only old-school dudes loving the challenge and one retard going "GAME TO HARD HALP!". The dumbed it down for him. Then they dumbed it down AGAIN when the review copies went out and journos were giving up on the "save teh countess" mission - because you know, challenging optional objectives should be achievable by any retard. Yet the hours of "too hard" on Steam continued...

Sadly, they failed to notice all the other people that were enjoying the game and recommending it. It's a sequel made for those that didn't enjoy the first game.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  19. Tramboi Cipher

Tramboi
    To judge their strategic choice fairly (even though I heartily agree with your point), we should wait for BG2 to be in a cheap bundle to compare.

^ Top  
  20. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Its been 4 months since BG1 was in a bundle, yet it still has more than twice the amount of people playing it today then the sequel, which was released a month ago. At the very least, the hype machine failed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Blackguards had more concurrent players a week after the sequel was released: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/blackguards-2-released.92217/page-20#post-3717524

Good opportunity to pull a Roguey:

Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  22. Arkadin Arcane

Arkadin
    :salute:

Good satire. The subtlety is going to ensure this is quoted/linked somewhere and seen as an endorsement. Well done.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. zero29 Arbiter

zero29
  24. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Intent almost pierces the membrane of presentation in some cases, like the sentence describing what strikes me as a godawful 'regen after fight' mechanic or this particularly pleasant line:

But, overall, quite the nice read!

Especially lines like this one:

Gonna go snoop the neogaf thread, see how low their balls hang.

EDIT: Not much butthurt, pretty tame thread. Tho this guy is... neat.

How the hell do you not know what "flat absorption + percentage reduction" or "purely percentage based resistance" means?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Can't do anything with such shitty "spoon-feed me or I don't care" attitude...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)