Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I found 2 or 3 additional armors with second chance incl. a robe.

I remember
Adra armor from vampire lord in the Paths of Nua, Robe from mind flayer bounty, what else gives it (aside from Eder armor)?
Yeah, that's the 3 I've found too. Used the robe on a caster and the Adra armor on Pallegina, didn't use the Sain't War armor because imo it's too heavy for a DPS and not heavy enough for a tank. Plus, tanks don't need it anyway, Eder didn't go down once in my game, so why would he need this type of enchantment? I'd rather use the retaliation armor or one with preservation.

hiver

One of our founding tenets is that you are free to love or hate anything you want as long as you can explain why and back your opinion with arguments.

With small print in invisible ink that shines only when appropriate pressure is applied saying this will be used or not depending on what exact opinion needs to be established, or avoided.

Anyway, pretty good review there.

I cant say i noticed anything that would be contrary to a single thing that the review talks about, except that sometimes there are some choices and consequences to a few bigger quests, although the consequences are just the immediate resolutions with not much further influence on much of anything. Like C&C of Radric hold or Skeans temple.

But i didnt play all of the game so maybe there are a few of those, somewhere.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Yeah, that's the 3 I've found too. Used the robe on a caster and the Adra armor on Pallegina, didn't use the Sain't War armor because imo it's too heavy for a DPS and not heavy enough for a tank. Plus, tanks don't need it anyway, Eder didn't go down once in my game, so why would he need this type of enchantment? I'd rather use the retaliation armor or one with preservation.

I'd just reload if someone went down because I'm slightly OCD and really hate the modern age "knocked out instead of dying" mechanic so I didn't really have much use for Second Chance, however I still think it's one of the very few good, game changing item effects in the game. Retaliation armor on the other hand was great, I found one in the Bridge party fight and one in Adra Dragon's hoard (and a Cloak that does the same I think?).

hiver

I use it for my fighter-wizard main character, seems perfect for that kind of a build.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I remember
Adra armor from vampire lord in the Paths of Nua, Robe from mind flayer bounty, what else gives it (aside from Eder armor)?
Could someone explain me what second chance does. That is still a mystery to me, after dozen of hours.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I remember
Could someone explain me what second chance does. That is still a mystery to me, after dozen of hours.

It resurrects you with some percentage of HP when your endurance runs out.

Perkel

Arcane
You know what will be most awesome ?

That TW3 created by potatos will have better quest system, better story, better C&C, better writting and better characters.
Review is to hard imo but it does point obvious problems.

Now we need TC and MCA kickstarters to teach Sawyerists what proper RPGs look like.

Zeriel

Arcane
Roxor, personally I think you didn't try hard enough.

Yeah, should have just called it shovelware garbage. I mean, it uses Unity, that would be enough of a review on its own.

"Pillars of Eternity is some Unity shitware that Obsidian took 4 gajillion dollars to make. F-."

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A solid review. Darth Roxor delivers yet again. :salute:
It is a shame that our resident potato tries so hard to be edgy. It gives the PoE shills an excuse to disregard the otherwise excellent review. All the complaints Roxor brings up are valid, but he exaggerates a bit too much in my opinion.

PoE Is a solid 4/10. It is fustrating because all the elements were in place to create something great. But the execution is a clusterfuck.

Black

Arcane
So obsidianfags are all women?
"It's not what he said, just the way he said it."

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even further, I don’t know if I could call Pillars of Eternity an outright “bad” game. It’s just painfully generic, with nothing that ever stands out

This sums the game up perfectly. I really want to like it but I cannot even get myself to finish it somehow, it's so mediocre and has so many weird design decisions. I had fun for quite a while but it's becoming so tedious it kinda kills any motivation.

Also the character pic of Roxor's main character is hilarious :lol:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Best pic in review:
12602.jpg

BLOOD AND THUNDER!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
PoE Is a solid 4/10. It is fustrating because all the elements were in place to create something great. But the execution is a clusterfuck.
B-b-b-but the metascore is 90%!!!!

Not only the metascore.

It almost like someone said
It'll be interesting to see how the votes fall in December, once the honeymoon is over and other releases are out. Especially if someone other than J_C makes the poll. (His texts were above average but a disappointment). My guess? We'll end up with a lot of 6's and 7's from people who claim they never really meant it was 11/10 anyway.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Not only the metascore.

It almost like someone said
It'll be interesting to see how the votes fall in December, once the honeymoon is over and other releases are out. Especially if someone other than J_C makes the poll. (His texts were above average but a disappointment). My guess? We'll end up with a lot of 6's and 7's from people who claim they never really meant it was 11/10 anyway.
I doubt my poll will change too much, certainly not as drasticly as you think. The average now is 7,98, which is a decent score.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really liked playing PoE but now that the vocal minority has completely taken over the discourse with their obsessive autistic yelling and their neverending energy for posting all day erry day, I feel like its time for me to convince myself that I actually disliked it, so I can still be part of the club of edgy haters prestigious gentlemen. I only got to make sure that no one ever finds out that I spent more than 50 hrs playing it, or if the they do, I will just pretend I hated every second of it and did it all for the lulz. It'll work. It always works.

Okay, back to World of Warcraft and DotA2 now, PoE is just too tedious and generic for my monocled tastes.

MCMedicinal

Novice
I believe the review is spot on. Clear and very constructive arguments. The game has a good front picture but in the back is just a mess of boring fights.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Not only the metascore.

To be honest I'd also rate it at least 8/10. The game has numerous issues but it's still pretty great. World, if generic is pretty interesting and superior to most other generic fantasy worlds, classes are a bit unoriginal but they play fun and are in many places are much better than their DnD counterparts, the game is full of boring combat encounters but there are also many interesting ones, especially if enemies are using spells.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I believe the review is spot on. Clear and very constructive arguments. The game has a good front picture but in the back is just a mess of boring fights.
Holy fuck you done been lurking long son.

Edit: Waaaait a minnit, whose alt are you?

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
a feeling of ennui

A good way of describing my feelings playing PoE. It was just so bloody dull. I gave up mid way through Act II...I just couldn't be bothered any more.

I swear I must be playing a different game to all the fanboys though...they seem to love it.

roshan

Arcane
Great review, but it seems like it's trying too hard to be "objective", perhaps giving points for participation. I don't think it was trying to be edgy at all, but rather handling the game with kiddie gloves. But still good to see something that is more or less calling out the game out on it's flaws. Despite the length there are still a lot of serious systemic, design and creativity flaws that could have been elaborated on, as well as a lot of broken basic functionalities that could have been noted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom