Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

hiver

DeepOcean
If the baatezu doesnt give a free key for his game as recompense for tricking you, ill give you mine as a gift, if thats possible on steam.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe I just don't like games anymore; I thought WL2 was crud and I thought the same about PoE. They had no soul. I play games for soul. And yeah, that's a bullshit feels quantity.

roshan

Arcane
Maybe I just don't like games anymore; I thought WL2 was crud and I thought the same about PoE. They had no soul. I play games for soul. And yeah, that's a bullshit feels quantity.

Did you ever try Banner Saga or LOX? Smaller scale projects but with LOTS of soul.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They had no soul. I play games for soul.
giphy.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
But... but... PoE has plenty of souls, you even make a potato mash of potato souls to feed a god at one point.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nah man, you gotta make your own judgment. If I ever listened to reviews I'd never have played IGN's 3/10 rated Godhand.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Where is the contradiction?

Like I said, it wasn't about you contradicting yourself, just that your cherry-picking in response to someone saying they bought the game off of your recommendation seemed a bit heavy-handed.

edit: anyway, I think your review was relevant in the context of the importance of review "tone". You could read your review as "good for what it is", stupid retro Wasteland romp, but the tone says something different to (probably) most people.

I know that the logic of your reviews is that you're judging them within the context of budget/dev time/scope, and base your tone off of that, but that doesn't always come across.
I don't look at the budget/dev time/scope. They merely help you understand certain things but should never be a factor. I look at the goal and the goal was to make a sequel to WL, to make a real 'old-school' game loaded with reactivity. As far as I'm concerned, that's exactly what they did. I did inform the readers of the flaws and I did warn the readers that it's neither Fallout nor Jagged Alliance. I do regret that some people overlooked the warnings but they were there.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Would caution against that. At least read some kind of negative perspective of it before purchase.

What was wrong with the game?
I'm not really good enough at writing and having objective evaluations to write a proper review. Here goes my attempt ill try and keep it brief.
Easy combat. Broken consequences, you can finish the game letting all the people die its actually an adv as it keeps your troops fed even though whole point is supposed to be caring for a caravan. Pretty crazy feeling C&C. I mostly predicted the correct choices in most dialogues and the ones where I made a 'mistake' were something totally random you could never have prediced.
Disclosure : I did kind of put 300 hours into the multiplayer and get into the top 10 so maybe that is why I found the combat too easy.
Edit : at huge discount I would probably say just go for it though

I look at the goal and the goal was to make a sequel to WL, to make a real 'old-school' game loaded with reactivity.

Eh, fine, just don't be surprised that if your PoE review has as its tone "Obsidian set out to recreate the old BG-formula, a formula which is of course complete and utter shit, and boy did they achieve this goal with flying colors!" that people will end up finding it a bit disingenuous. ;)

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Exactly. You just don't know what to like. You have to like known quantities. Games that check every point on the list and most importantly are perfectly balanced according to the latest game design school rules. Nothing else matters.

roshan

Arcane
Exactly. You just don't know what to like. You have to like known quantities. Games that check every point on the list and most importantly are perfectly balanced according to the latest game design school rules. Nothing else matters.

Yes, basically - overproduced, overdesigned, overbanalced, extremely boring, pseudo-mmo games that have no creative spark and utterly terrible core gameplay and for some reason are missing basic features and extremely buggy to boot are the best and you should be thankful you're getting any games at all. Oh and make sure you savor all those KEWL ANIMESHUNS like your character in Wasteland 2 spending 20 seconds to try and open a chest, or your characters in POE running around in combat like headless chickens because who the hell cares about gameplay in 2015?

jewboy

Arbiter
Actually I believe that Obsidian's stated goal was to go for more of a BG2 type game style rather than BG1. I suppose the fact that Obsidian (Black Isle) did not really have much to do with the development of BG2 should have given us pause. That the lead designer of the rushed and half-assed IWD2 was at the helm should have resulted in more Picard face-palms than it did. That's the curse of optimism for you. I mean it's not like the MCA or at least Ziets were doing the design. To be fair there were some Codexians who were predicting doom and gloom even during the heady Kickstarter period, but I think too many of us were steamrolled by the hype machine.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Actually I believe that Obsidian's stated goal was to go for more of a BG2 type game style rather than BG1. I suppose the fact that Obsidian (Black Isle) did not really have much to do with the development of BG2 should have given us pause. That the lead designer of the rushed and half-assed IWD2 was at the helm should have resulted in more Picard face-palms than it did. That's the curse of optimism for you. I mean it's not like the MCA or at least Ziets were doing the design. To be fair there were some Codexians who were predicting doom and gloom even during the heady Kickstarter period, but I think too many of us were steamrolled by the hype machine.
You're wrong.

jewboy

Arbiter
About what? That not everyone was convinced it was going to be a great game and that at least some Codexians were preaching that The Sawyer was a shitty game designer who couldn't be trusted with the project?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Thing is, I know exactly what to like. I like Bayonetta and I like Crimzon Clover. I like the simple elegance of NieR's writing/voice acting and I like the oodles of atmosphere oozing from the sound design from Thief. I like Terra Nova's fun combination of story and RPG elements in a vehicular FPS and I like the great enemy AI in the first Fear game.

The problem is, these games - WL2 and PoE and perhaps even D:OS though it does have a more homemade, rustic charm - they were made with checklists. They follow principles. They don't break any rules and they don't do anything risky. They don't offend anyone. To be really great, a game has to polarize. The best games are games that people here will argue with you about for liking them. The best games are made with, for lack of a better word, love - because the team that created them believed, truly believed, that this was the game they wanted to make and play.

Obsidian should have made the game they wanted to make, no the game they thought fans wanted.

That's what made PS:T great, I think. Their enthusiasm and love for it.

... okay I am sorry, I had a bit too much wine. My Italian neighbor keeps giving me wine whenever I am depressed. He gives me so much wine. I wish he wasn't so damn Catholic.

Rake

Arcane
To be really great, a game has to polarize. The best games are games that people here will argue with you about for liking them
So PoE is the best game ever made? :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom