Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Diablo 3

Micmu

Magister
Great review, thanks!
Now I'm completely sure that D3 is not my cup of coffee.
People who play this dump are allowed to drink chocolate milk only, anyway.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Great review, although there is excessive nitpicking of small matters :Codex:

I think Diablo 3 is more like WoW than Diablo 1/2 were, mainly due to the fact that the original Diablo dev studio is no more, so it fell to the Stafrcraft/Warcraft guys to develop it.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Great review, mrowakus. have one on me, you will need it badly:
7QbRr.jpg

It came highly recommended.

Gregz

Arcane
Thus, it is a common practice to form parties to increase effectiveness of item-scavenging

Group Leader: Fast loot party LFM, must have gearscore > 4500, pst.
Player: I only have 4200, but I'm a good player, can I join?
Group Leader: *ignores*
Player: Please? I'm really good
Group Leader: Just buy some gear at the RMAH and then link me your character

bobby-kotick-money-bags_thumb.jpg

Ctrl-f
Massive decline
enter
Phrase not found

This review disappoints me.

Thus, it is a common practice to form parties to increase effectiveness of item-scavenging

Group Leader: Fast loot party LFM, must have gearscore > 4500, pst.
Player: I only have 4200, but I'm a good player, can I join?
Group Leader: *ignores*
Player: Please? I'm really good
Group Leader: Just buy some gear at the RMAH and then link me your character

Gearscore? Wow that's pretty :kotick:. Count on Blizzard to shove the incentive to pay jewgold for items into your face every chance they get.

hiver

plus... tyrael isnt tyrael anymore.... now he is some ... black... human...dude... with a.... head... and a fucking face... what...the ..hell... am... i... seeeeeeiiinggg!

(yeah ive seen why is that inventend, doesnt make it any less retarded)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First of all: Choosing 5 attribtues score every level, was never, for a very large percentage of the people (I'd say the majority) a core part of the game. I'm not saying that it didn't matter for everyone to be able to choose this exactly as they wanted, but I am saying that there is another very large group, for which this didn't matter and was only chosen mechanically according to guides.
This is such a silly issue. I wonder how many times this has been brought up already but picture this: A little button on your character screen that says "auto-level", Blizzard balances the game around their near-perfectly-playtested auto-builds but certain players have the option to distribute the points themselves with a proper warning they may make things much harder/much easier than intended. Though I'm sure they've already dismissed this as "option bloat."

aris

Arcane
Yeah, you're kind of right. Though it's not truly that terrible without either, and as I said, I disagree that this defined diablo as a game.

aris

Arcane
Yes, I did play diablo 1, and I probably should have revisedmyself to say: That isn't what defined diablo 2.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
That was an excellent review Mrowak! :salute:

Please do more reviews!

Yeah, I think I will... but not this month. This month is going to get medieval on me. Besides there's no interesting game to review now. Maybe Torchlight 2... :M

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm not sure where Mrowak found all this glorious dungeon randomization. To me, it looks like it was vastly derped, and dungeons now consist of giant pre-designed blocks that change position slightly. Snoozefest - nowhere near the replayability of Diablo2 dungeons.

That's because the game was not built on an iteration of Diablo2 engine, but on an early branch of WoW engine, and they had to write their dungeon randomization from scratch.

And Jay Wilson was in charge. That guy doesn't exactly have high standards. He's like Blizzard's version of Chris Priestly or Todd Howard.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Great review, lots of details and good justifications and explanations are provided. Codex reviews rarely disappoint and neither does this one.

I'm not sure where Mrowak found all this glorious dungeon randomization. To me, it looks like it was vastly derped, and dungeons now consist of giant pre-designed blocks that change position slightly. Snoozefest - nowhere near the replayability of Diablo2 dungeons.
I agree, dungeons are initially impressive but many of them follow the exact same layouts every single time, and the more random ones (most of them in act 1 and 2) are still extremely linear and simplistic. The shift from 2D to 3D means that making complicated dungeons that actually look good is very difficult - thus instead Blizzard opted for big pre-defined rooms with copy-pasted hallways in between. Many dungeons are literally just long, straight corridors with nothing in them but enemy spawn triggers.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Skyrim and Risen 2 still haven't been reviewed and we've already got this shit? What the fuck Codex?

Mrowak

Arcane
Great review, lots of details and good justifications and explanations are provided. Codex reviews rarely disappoint and neither does this one.

I agree, dungeons are initially impressive but many of them follow the exact same layouts every single time, and the more random ones (most of them in act 1 and 2) are still extremely linear and simplistic. The shift from 2D to 3D means that making complicated dungeons that actually look good is very difficult - thus instead Blizzard opted for big pre-defined rooms with copy-pasted hallways in between. Many dungeons are literally just long, straight corridors with nothing in them but enemy spawn triggers.

Well thanks, bro. I actually went back I read lots of Codex, yours and Brother None's reviews just to learn how to maintain largely impartial voice. :salute:

Mortmal

Arcane
Well skyrim is good but its from bethesda so its not politically correct to say so, you wont post a good review of a bethesda game on the codex right ? As for risen 2 its so bad it nearly generate the same amount of indifference than arcania.Dragon's dogma is worth a review more than this too .
Now to diablo 3 review, its quite good:
"but now it reaches Saturday morning cartoon level, with your antagonists quite literally going: “I will get you next time, Gadget!” The voice acting lands the final blow", so true in my french version some of the voices are from the same people who are doing the simpsons. its quite funny to have a vendor with the voice of the bartender Moe.
"there is no guarantee that the equipment obtained in the course of one act will suffice for smooth" , in fact i can give you the guarantee it wont be enough, you have to farm and buy on AH to be able to keep up i am never wearing anything i found.

Castanova

Prophet
Overall, the verdict for me is that it's the best Diablo-esque game since Diablo 2. However, several problems in the game's design prevent it from reaching Diablo 2's quality and replayability. Instead of a game I still have on my harddrive 10 years later, this is a game that I will play for 2 months, enjoy, and then uninstall.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Is the RMAH up yet? If it is, I'm curious how much high lvl gear is selling for? I'm guessing at least $10-20 a piece.

Mrowak

Arcane
Overall, the verdict for me is that it's the best Diablo-esque game since Diablo 2. However, several problems in the game's design prevent it from reaching Diablo 2's quality and replayability. Instead of a game I still have on my harddrive 10 years later, this is a game that I will play for 2 months, enjoy, and then uninstall.

Precisely that. It's not a bad game, but due to mechanics bloat and bad design it is hardly as enaging as Diablo 2 or even 1. I already feel tired with it and feel no incentive to play on.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sp, even Blizzard can't make a good Diablo clone? This is sad indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom