Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Divinity: Original Sin

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
D:OS is a mediocre RPG.

It has good combat, but it's too easy, nice colors and decent music. The rest is mediocre, shit or downright non existent.

It's a good ARPG for those old enough to remember the times when Icewind Dale was considered an ARPG.

But it's turn based and calls itself a classic rpg, so naturally that alone makes it the best thing since sliced bread here on the codex. Regardless that it's linear, has a terrible story, awful lore, childish writing, tasteless graphics and does not feature solid C&C or world reactivity like so few RPGs do.

Angthoron

Arcane
Chill bros. I did mention that people with lower tolerance for certain aspects will find the game less fun, no? There's a bunch of stuff that could be improved, maybe something to happen in patches, expansions or Larian's next game, some proper detailed pinpointing of the issues would probably be helpful, since devs do read the Codex.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I went all the way through the trial only to fight the immaculate leader whose healing outpaces my damage. I killled every other enemy, and got stuck in an infinite loop. Sunk a couple hours and had to go back. I went to the east of Silvergaard and fought some orcs that were way too powerful. I was around level 9.

:what:

First of all - bumrushing the desert area while at lvl9? Did the lvl14 enemies there didn't give you a hint you're not supposed to be there yet?

And what are you doing traipsing around Luculla Forest at lvl9 anyway? How much of the Cyseal content have you skipped? When I started hacking my way through Luculla, I was lvl 11 and I levelled up to 13 before I even attempted fighting the spiders.
I explored everything in the overworld. I have quite a few open quests though, and I'm not sure if they all resolve in the first area or carry over to the 2nd (some do at least). I missed that cave, and it'll put me at 10 which I know will shift things favorably because of the new abilities. I saw the spiders, and went around them. I killed everything in the trial with ease up until the last priest so I thought it'd be fine. The point is I've spent 4+ hours exploring this area with no success, and that experience got old much quicker.

To kill him at level 10 or 11 either knockdown or blind him every turn. knockdown is better as melee chars get 100% hit chance when hes down.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
DOS is hands down one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Sadly, most of other KS games won't come even close...
Wtf is wrong with this forum?
Doesn't writing and atmosphere matter at all?
:negative:

The atmosphere is OK. Writing is so-so, but other aspects are awesome for me. After all I've been through this is a Godsend compared to: :gumpyhead::hearnoevil::dgaider: and etc.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DOS is hands down one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Sadly, most of other KS games won't come even close...

The atmosphere is OK. Writing is so-so, but other aspects are awesome for me.
Yeah I think fighting is great fun, environment usability and stuff like that really rock etc. pp.
I'm not saying this game is shit at all! But I think it's massively overrated!
When I see the Codex (and others) mercilessly bashing Risen 3 for stupid reasons like "There was some invisible wall somewhere" while simultaniously praising their new God D:OS and pretending that combat is all that matters I think theres something not right.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
When I see the Codex (and others) mercilessly bashing Risen 3 for stupid reasons like "There was some invisible wall somewhere" while simultaniously praising their new God D:OS and pretending that combat is all that matters I think theres something not right.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
USJjtK.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Everything is just fine with the world. You get massively invested in an unfinished game, you tend to cheer for it afterwards, come what may.

Just let's watch Roguey defending PoE after it turns to be shit, that's gonna be an epic, laboratory-grade example of this phenomenon :smug:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I just am finding it hard to force myself to want to constantly reset when I start advancing into a zone and it turns out I shouldn't be there. Give me some clear directions if you're going to make fighting higher levels monsters so restrictive that the game can't be played in a open style. I want to play the game, not waste time getting to the next encounter the designer deems appropriate.
Translation: I got used to popamole games so much, that I can't play an RPG without level scaling and a quest arrow. Seriously, cut you whining, if you play a game without level scaling, this happens, and it should happen.

makes open exploration counter-intuitive with all the hard level locks.
No, it is just the opposite. If you find an area too hard for you, you can go explore another area. If you want a game with open exploration like in TES game, where you can go anywhere, anytime, and you will find level scaled enemies, go play that type of game.

I know this spot they're talking about.

The problem is you duck into a dungeon unaware it is "high-level" until you progress all the way through to the boss.

D:OS is a very good game, but it's not impeccable.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
What am I missing? Trannies posting nudes and moderators doxing members?

The meaning of "ARPG", for one. Also the meaning of "linear". Although I suppose you might be one of those people with their own special definitions for common words and acronyms.

An ARPG isn't solely a Diablo clone hack'n slash for a start. This game is action focused. It's about combat and little else the same way Icewind Dale is.

The game is linear. There might be slight variants but area levels make it so that you complete quests and clear them in a specific order with little variants available.

Everything is just fine with the world. You get massively invested in an unfinished game, you tend to cheer for it afterwards, come what may.

They also did a good job at inflating the codex' e-peen with all the mentions, references, posting here and the whole vs rpgwatch thing.

Duh no of course. What counts is that it's turn based and has codex references.

Internet

Scholar

The atmosphere is good. I enjoy the overall silly/lighthearted tone much more than semi-failed attempts at epicness.
I don't really value writing much in games and I think phrases like "excellent writing" are better reserved for works like "The Brothers Karamazov" than "excellent writing for what it is" stuff like PST.
I'm aware that this is highly subjective, so, to each his own.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane

Just let's watch Roguey defending PoE after it turns to be shit, that's gonna be an epic, laboratory-grade example of this phenomenon :smug:
He's too pure and beautiful an angel for Obsidian to realize his vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom