Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: ELEX!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always cherish these rare occasions when we are graced with a Darth Roxor review.

Between this review and Ludo Lense 's video, ELEX has been bumped up my priority list in a significant way. Thanks for your work, bros.

Deleted Member 16721

Ok, that video review made me rethink playing this thing. Very informative.

You mean there are Codexers, aka RPG Aficionados of the Highest Order that haven't played this game yet? Fascinating. :obviously:

Pardon my bluntness but what the fuck are you all waiting for? It's RPGOTY 2017. Go play it, now.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've read ppl telling ELEX is a Fallout+Skyrim+any other open world AAA trite hybrid. Colour me no surprised they don't know any better.

tindrli

Arcane
im only one hour into it and i just love lack of minimap. Feel so god damn lost its just beautiful.

Inventory screen on the other hand is attrocious

Despite i played gothics years ago and risen im still lost in combat. Button mashing is not working wich is great but i cant figure out why sometimes clicking left triggers attack while sometime without apparent visible reason it doesnt. Also something its wrong with distance. Coz sometimes attack works with enemy very far and other dont while having enemy close.. Must be me i dont know. And shooting from bow is a joke. And also evading with fast pressing arow keys is not working always as well at least in my case Anyway all good for now.

And i hate the fact i cant climb damn ladders and that i cant even try to open those blue boxes. Not that game is lacking junk items on the contrary but still its frustrating

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Attack is usually timing - if you mash it too fast you'll feel like it's not doing anything. Also, stamina - you have very little stamina at start, so maybe you swing twice and get hit once, you're going to have low stam and you won't be able to attack. I'd say as a melee character getting that first level of stam skill is a high priority.

Bow is a joke, same as every PB game. I would stick with melee.

tindrli

Arcane
Yep. Melee is a way to go. Still i picked those velociraptors in the river frim a safe distance.. Ai is stupid at the moment

tindrli

Arcane
To play ELEX should I save money for a better computer or just playstation 4?
Save money for better comp. Like me.. 2 god damn years and that black friday i went for that 15" helios 300 for 899. Didnt have enough for 17" Will pick it up in 29.12. Now the sweet wait..2 damn yeaaaars

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
its not like i mention it right there in the revioo and also in another post here
Revioo is too huge, sorry :negative:

Standard operating procedure for newfags. Jump into a thread and ask questions that have been explained and talked to death a few pages back. Jump into a thread and post a link to some 'breaking news' or a video that was already posted a few pages back, sometimes twice again already by other retards that don't know how to read. Or in this case, comment on a review *that you haven't even read*.

I don't understand kids these days.

Gecos

Learned
I enjoyed Elex a lot more than DOS2. Maybe I'm getting old but that's the truth.
Also, strangely, with all the idiocy and sometimes very cheap deaths, Elex overall still annoyed me less than DOS2. There - said it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
its not like i mention it right there in the revioo and also in another post here
Revioo is too huge, sorry :negative:

Standard operating procedure for newfags. Jump into a thread and ask questions that have been explained and talked to death a few pages back. Jump into a thread and post a link to some 'breaking news' or a video that was already posted a few pages back, sometimes twice again already by other retards that don't know how to read. Or in this case, comment on a review *that you haven't even read*.

I don't understand kids these days.

redding is teh hard

I enjoyed Elex a lot more than DOS2. Maybe I'm getting old but that's the truth.
Also, strangely, with all the idiocy and sometimes very cheap deaths, Elex overall still annoyed me less than DOS2. There - said it.

you are not alone

Zerth

Arbiter
Derailing towards offtopic for a quick question. What's so shit about DOS 2? I haven't played it yet; but popular belief seems to regard it as the revival of TB crpgs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Derailing towards offtopic for a quick question. What's so shit about DOS 2? I haven't played it yet; but popular belief seems to regard it as the revival of TB crpgs.
I don't hate it as others do, but the armor system badly needs to go. The same goes for the numbers bloat as you level up. This was handled a 100 times better in the first game. Unique items become worthless very quickly, or they are already worthless when you find them. Randomized loot is slighlty better than in the first game, but the numbers bloat means that you have to swap them out constantly to stay effective. It also means that it is not easy to take on enemies that are much higher level than yourself. I'm a stubborn bastard and fought higher level enemies anyway, but in general, I wouldn't advise it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

A lot of really questionable design decisions that for the most part are total shit, very few improvements/good additions compared to DOS1, general ergonomics are terrible, game structure is stupidly gated and linear when at a glance it seems "open", it's more or less "combat encounters - the game" (even moreso than DOS1), but said combat encounters are not very fun, which heavily undermines the game's purpose.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll write it up too. But that would require finishing the game and I'm really not looking forward to that at all (my playthrough that I've abandoned roughly around the release of ELEX was somewhere in the middle of the game and it left me bored/frustrated out of my skull).

Zerth

Arbiter
The only 'divinity' game I have played so far is 'Divine Divinity', so that's my line of comparison. I really liked DD, because of the quirky writing, interesting combat encounters and also u can pretty much roam anywhere without being too limited by main story progression. DOS 1 turned me off mainly because I'm not quite fond of party-based rpgs similar to NWN or Dungeon Siege, even less if they're more like Diablo where you waltz across narrow passages killing off mindless swarms of enemies chargint at you over and over. Thus I didn't bother to even try DOS 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom