Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Expeditions: Conquistador

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Grunker, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Kickstarter; Logic Artists

The year was 2013. The month was May. The air was hot. And humid. Don't forget humid.

Everybody was holding their breath.

Kickstarter. Some called it salvation, some called it damnation. But in May 2013, the first of the RPGs that would herald the coming of the next decade of digital role-playing would be released.

It was called Expeditions: Conquistador. The entire Codex held its breath. Would Conquistador be the bearer of good news or was it an ill omen all along? Would this be the start of a new golden age, or would the Kickstarter bubble burst even before it had begun growing?

RPG Codex Staff put one of the best men on the job of finding out. A man unlike any other. A professor even. I mean come on, how cool is that?

This is ironyuri's review of Expeditions: Conquistador. Read on, dear Codexer, and venture into the first brush of the jungle of the coming wave of RPGs. Will we float on tides of depth and complexity, or drown in a puddle of shit?

Only time will tell. For now, just click the link below and read the fucking review already.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Expeditions: Conquistador

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    ^ Top  
  2. EG Nullified

EG
    Humid? I think you mean sultry. :mad:

^ Top  
  3. Niektory one of some Patron

Niektory
    Ten, not eight.
    /nitpick

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JudasIscariot Arcane Patron

JudasIscariot
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    Needs more Doritos as that was too comprehensive and well-written :P

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Wizfall Arbiter

Wizfall
    Thanks for the review.
    Going to buy it this week end now.
    The 2/10 dorito joke was fun but if your review is posted somewhere else (like it should), i hope people won't jump to that score without reading the rest of the article.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Good advertisement, I wish Darth Roxor wasn't such a giant faggot

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Disgusting blowjob of a review.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Sorry this is a good game but there are no mentions of the numerous flaws we've been talking about in the thread, this review is sadly a bit lacking in objectivity.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Nice review. I think you could've explained more about the characteristics of your party menbers, as I feel your review don't really explain their system, that was really well-done.

I haven't beated the game yet, but I would add a critique on how the game arbitraty limits your deployed units to 6, all while allowing sometimes even twice the number of enemies to attack on you. Felt very artificial that when my warriors startet to get strong the game simply increases enemy numbers, while limiting yours, even though your travelling with a huge party... it's a problematic thing, as allowing you to take 12 guys into battle would kill the pacing, but still they didn't solve it very well...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The review makes me want to check out the game, since there were comparisons to Jagged Alliance. Excidium's and SCO's comments make me cautious, however. Looks like I need to do some homework, but my interest is now piqued.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. wergle Educated

wergle
    I like this game a lot and am first in line to congratulate LA on a successful first effort but this review doesn't mention any flaws of the game at all. And it's not perfect.

^ Top  
  12. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    2/10 (Doritos)

:5/5:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    shut up we're trying to get into bed with bitcomposer here

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    This is absolute nonsense. They released several betas with full functionality. If you played one of the beta releases, you knew full well what you would be getting. And they posted good, informative updates on game mechanics.

You could say that South Park RPG was drifting. DNF was drifting, for years. Mysteries of Westgate was drifting. Conquistador was never "drifting". Only the retarded teens cried "THEY MISSED DEADLINE WHERES MAH GAME WEVE BEEN SCAMMED" and the announcement of publisher deal worried people ethically.

"Issues which led to the release of the game"? I think you might have a misunderstanding of the expression, unless I do.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. EG Nullified

EG
    I wouldn't have minded seeing more critique and less overview, myself.

This makes me want to play the damn game, compared to the previous threads on Conquistador. :mad:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baron Arcane

Baron
    writing quality game reviews for rpgcodex metaphor detected

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Good review for the uninitiated since the game definitely deserves people's attention, but yeah, I do think it was a bit too positive. If that's what ironyuri truly feels, so be it. Perhaps he is so forgiving of others because he is forgiving of himself for not updating the Arcanum LP :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    :martini:

Ps. I don't think Grunker picked it up, but credit for the banners should go to agentorange , to whom I sent the images and explained what I wanted but didn't have time to do myself. He did an excellent job.

The Spanish were always outnumbered in the New World, and it was only by clever tactics, the spread of smallpox, their use of weapons that had not been seen before (horses, guns, steel), and the fact that many of the conquistadores were veterans of the last wars of the Reconquista that led in part to their military victories. I don't see what's problematic about that, since it demands that the player become better at managing tactical challenges as the game progress; using equipment and traps/barricades/crafting effectively, and using skills to stun or slow enemies down and pick them off. The player has, even with only 6 squad members in combat, a huge advantage over the AI regardless of the deficit in numbers. That's not even to mention that once you get the culverin, it becomes a 7th party member doing AoE damage at the beginning of each combat round.

What do you mean trying? Their PR team showed me a great time last night.

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  19. warmonger3 Scholar Patron

warmonger3
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Funny thing, the review makes me want to play JA2.
    At the very least I'll try the demo and decide on a purchase or not.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    it's a good game but women can be conquistadors and use bows so it is shit garbage dont buy

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  21. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Nice write up.

It's a good game. I also feel this game is an appetizer to the full blown incline coming up with the 1 million+ kickstarter games. Now's the time to try the h'orderves and whet your appetite.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Tommy Wiseau Arcane

Tommy Wiseau
    So the Codex has finally popped its dorito/mountain dew cherry. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Great review ironyuri! I'm a bit more critical of the game than you, but what criticism I have is mostly nit-picking. This game is one of the most solid RPGs we've had for years.

So :bro: ironyuri!

I did, I just forgot to credit him. Is done now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. clemens Arbiter Patron

clemens
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I agree, it's one of the best things we have seen these last years, and the minor flaws don't detract much from the quality of the game. But there are some flaws and they should have been mentioned in the review...
    Still, good overview, thanks ironyuri.

^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I think this might need a second opinion :M

Alright review overall, but for everything I agree with, there's something I don't, and I believe a few very key aspects were either omitted or downplayed. The review was very storyfaggy overall, methinks.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)