Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Expeditions: Conquistador

MCA
Grunker Infinitron

Delete my review and replace it with Juggie 's, it's the review hipster Codex deserves.

In fact, replace it with a Baldur's Gate 1 retrospective which reveals that BG1 is the best RPG ever and Fallout, JA2 and all other turn based games are shit anyway. Welcome to Codex 2013. Skyway was right, and so on, and so forth.

(I'm not actually joking. Delete my fucking review, you no longer have permission to reproduce my text.)

Stop being a woman.

Grunker Infinitron

Delete my review and replace it with Juggie 's, it's the review hipster Codex deserves.

In fact, replace it with a Baldur's Gate 1 retrospective which reveals that BG1 is the best RPG ever and Fallout, JA2 and all other turn based games are shit anyway. Welcome to Codex 2013. Skyway was right, and so on, and so forth.

(I'm not actually joking. Delete my fucking review, you no longer have permission to reproduce my text.)

Rex is that you?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
My main problem with the game at this point is that they removed a few very cool abilities that were present in the betas and it has detracted from the game

We did? I don't remember taking out any abilities in the game.

ironyuri

Take it down. I withdraw your right to use any of my reviews on the RPG Codex. You have some nerve thinking you can use my review.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Grunker Infinitron

Come on man, don’t take it that way. You put stuff out in public, and the public responds. If you only expect positive response, you’re in a bubble of unreality. There’s always the bitter cunt, the ignorant fag and the cum guzzling fanboy who’ll take everything including the shit and will ask for more, and everything in-between.
You played the game and thought X of it. The codex is an angry bunch and feels you left the bad outside and only described the good. Take it as a valid criticism and maybe next time encompass a more extensive view, or simply answer that to you the “bad” was so little to the point of being irrelevant and not ruining your gaming experience.
I mean, Arcanum was a bugfest and even the character creation system – oh so praised – was mostly filler shit (bully: you were a bully, so +1 str -1 int WOW WHAT AN AMAZING SYSTEM) but it doesn’t detract from a great gaming experience. Just stand by your opinion and either defend it or accept that maybe you went a bit too soft on the negative side. Either way, don’t take it personally man. This is not the right place to take stuff personally.

only 2/10?
not buying then

You're trolling right? I mean, you read the full review and what that 2/10 actually means.:roll:
:retarded:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Take it down. I withdraw your right to use any of my reviews on the RPG Codex. You have some nerve thinking you can use my review.

I realize you think you're mastah trollin' bro, but it's evident there's butthurt here. Take it like a man instead of rapin' your own review thread with trolls that only turn the thread into more sucky drama.

EG

Nullified
Now, tell me if you think he's serious or just fucking with people who don't know their Codex history. Think hard.

With the way this site seems to break peoples' minds?

He's serious.

ironyuri

Full disclosure, here's Grunker leading up to putting the review up:

Grunker'Could we nix the "score-joke" at the end yuri? Me and Zed agree it's bit too herpaderp said:
I do see where you're going with it and I like the idea of it. Unfortunately I don't think it works.

Oh, and by the way: We like the review. Very much :)

Grunker said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's posted negro. Big "woop-woop" for an excellent performance yuri!

As editor, if Grunker considered there to be glaring flaws in the game omitted from the review, it was his responsibility to raise them prior to posting. But since this is the Codex apparently its content staff Crooked Bee who gives non-RPG reviews a bee-line to the frontpage (Mark of the Ninja), Grunker whose editorial oversight is down to harvesting brofists for posting a review and not actually performing the role of editor, and JarlFrank who posted his own inane views on Dishonored.

Full disclosure (since it seems to be so popular with Infinitron and Grunker in forums other people can't see) here's the PM convo Grunker and I shared about a page or so back:

ironyuri said:
Nah you're alright.

What exactly are these "glaring flaws" and "huge issues" everyone is so concerned with?

I've only looked at the Codex thread once and most of it was :

WIMMENZ IN MAH NOCHE TRISTE!!! HOW DARE YOU LOGIC FAGGOTS?!

Grunker said:
Great review ironyuri! I'm a bit more critical of the game than you, but what criticism I have is mostly nit-picking.
Basically, the game lacks a certain amount of depth compared to other RPG titles in terms of replayability. But it amounts to nit-picking due to the limited budget, methinks.

ironyuri said:
Given you have to complete Hispaniola which is like a low-level P&P campaign as I said, it's a tutorial basically.

But Mexico you can play a racist who sides with the Totonac and then overthrows them.
A diplomat who sides with the Totonac and lets them remain in charge.

A racist who sides with Moctezuma and crushes the Totonac and then Moctezuma.
A diplomat who sides with Moctezuma and then preserves him as Emperor.

You have various options, like sacrificing a companion to the god of the dead for the blue sapphire skull or not; you can take a native bride or not, you can take the native child interpreter or not.

You can use different combinations of companions for more challenging/different battles.

The game has more replyability than most RPgs of the past several years and the story has two divergent paths, unlike even some of the "top 10" Codex RPGs which are strictly linear (Baldur's gate, Fallout 1) in narrative terms.

Good god.

Grunker said:
The combat, however, remains devoid of tactical variety once you've gotten used to it, and seeing as you spend a good amount of time with it and it makes up a big part of the game's systems, I'd say that's a flaw.

Like in the Fallout discussion, you seem to be unable to accept varying degrees of criticism. Me saying "this game is pretty much brilliant, it just has a tiny problem with depth" is unacceptable to you.

ironyuri said:
I wasn't involved in the Fallout discussion, bro ;) I just made an image to harvest brofists. ;) I also just like riding you and Infi's asses now for being decliners.

Anyway, I'd also say the combat is not devoid of "tactical variety" once you get used to it. It is only the case if you choose the same shit every time.

If you go in and use traps, barricades, the cannon, the banner, the crystal skull, Huitzipotli's spear (out of your special items) OR mix up your characters, try to do an expedition with only 2 soldiers, 4 scholars, 2 hunters, 1 doctor, 1 scout for example, you'd needs must employ different tactics and play either more defensive or offensive depending. Just because you lack the imagination to test different combinations isn't a fault or a flaw of the game.

This isn't Baldur's Gate where you have one option: mirror image, blur, protect against evil, buff buff buff, cast cloudkill cast fireball cast debuff to get through huge spammed encounters against trash mobs. Every fight in Conquistador is hand crafted, each fight map is crafted for a specific encounter and each presents challenges to overcome and you can overcome them in different ways.

You're projecting an "inability to accept criticism" because You (capital you because Codex at large, not just yourself) are unable to accept your lack of imagination in testing the limits of a game's systems in a variety of ways.

That's not even to mention that dependent on your skills (tactics, scouting, diplomacy) you can avoid combat, decrease the numbers of enemies involved, gain a tactical starting advantage, end up at a disadvantage, or otherwise influence the actual combat situation BEFORE entering combat in different ways which means different builds will experience different styles of combat differently. But whatever, linearity it is.

Grunker quotes my Baldur's Gate sentence followed by the "lack imagination" one.

ironyuri said:
You're conflating two separate issues.

There are fights in BG that are unwinnable without a specific combination of buffs/debuffs and mages. I've already got 2 and a half complete runs of Conquistador through and there are no party combinations which will leave you totally high and dry unless you take, perhaps, a full party of scholars or doctors into combat against 2:1 odds.

In BG, the Kangaxx fight for example, if you don't have buffs/debuffs and spells to use, you're sunk. It's worse in BG 2. Especially at harder difficulties.

But then, if you think you can solo BG with a party of 6 warriors on hardest difficulty, more power to you. ;)

Conquistador allows the player to use their imagination, BG punishes you for doing it. Apples and oranges.

Grunker said:
What? It seems you lack imagination yourself big time.

I killed Kangaxx multiple times without mages and debuffs. Just use Scroll of Protection from Magic, available to all. There are plenty of solutions to the other battles where you don't need specific debuffs or buffs.

Variety is HUGE. In Conquistador, I can mix up a narrow choice of classes in my "combat load-out", which are pretty similar anyway compared to other RPGs. Again: I'm not saying it TOTALLY SUCKS OMG, just that there are much better tactical combat systems.

ironyuri said:
So, tell me about all of these tactical turn-based combat systems that are better ? ;)

Kangaxxx is one fight, now how about the rest of BG with no mages, druids, clerics or sorcs? ;)

Grunker said:
It's completely possible.

As for better turn-based games - a lot, really. Eador that I'm playing right now is much better. KotC or ToEE for direct RPG examples. Blood Bowl's "combat". King's Bounty, which the game draws inspiration from. The Heroes series. Wizardry, though I think comparing to blobbers is futile. Jagged Alliance II. Other, similar, tactical strategy games.

And so on and so forth.

So, here we have it. Grunker, just as in the Fallout thread proves that the RPGCodex isn't the Codex of Fallout 1 and Arcanum, but Baldur's Gate and pretending to play Wizardry.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
i_am_serious_now.jpg

Overboard

Arcane
May I recommend some soothing cream for what is clearly a case of :butthurt:?

Grunker doesn't represent the entire Codex, much as you would like to paint it that way. It is somewhat jarring that your review either glosses over or fails to mention entirely the negatives that have been repeatedly mentioned by various posters thus far.

Bruticis

Incoming wall of shit posters with single image posts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom