Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire - The Real Official Review

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Grimoire is an anomaly.

It is a literal miracle.

I'm not sure if it is a great game, but it is something that any self-respecting cRPG fan should play through.

And as they play it, weep at all the things we've lost and that will never return.

"I want to play a game," he muttered as he tottered down the road beside me.

"Me, too," I told him.

And yet it was not Grimoire that came to my mind, but a meadow overlooking the sea, and an ?? ugly dog ?? who beckoned me.

A time, rather than a place. No road led there anymore.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Review retweeted by
Andy Chalk
Verified account @AndyChalk

Videogames, social justice wahoo, reads comments. This is no way to live. http://www.pcgamer.com .

An RPG so good, even his enemies have to acknowledge it.

Vulpes

Scholar
Are the sex mods out yet? No? Then I'll stick to my Godd Howard approved Skyrim: GOTY Legendary Limited Director's Collection Edition for the PS Vita's VR

DarkArcher

Educated
Let's see if V2 is bug free. I look forward to seeing if the manual properly explains all the stats properly.

Andael

Barely Literate
I'm very excited to buy this. Is there any idea when this V2 I keep hearing about is coming out? And I see people saying the manual is coming out too, but hasn't this game been for a year now?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
As I said, one of these two stories is true. They can't both be true at the same time. If a person plays for 300 hours and encounters no significant bugs and no significant issues worth mentioning other than balance and exploits, finishes the four different endings of the game and has outrageous fun for the equivalent of a year playing one hour a day ... then obviously the game can't be as described by some of the hit pieces posted by people who played less than 20 minutes according to Steam. Somebody is making stuff up.

One recent reviewer conceded he had not actually played the game to produce his review, he had merely repeated what he read in other reviews by other people who played the game a few minutes. This is what a cocktail of SSRIs, long term neglect and single parented households can do to the minds of developing children.

I didn't change Grimoire. The world changed around Grimoire while I was working on it for 20 years. The Bell Curve shifted left by 6 points and two generations of kids grew up on aspartame, fluoride and lead-filled corn syrup. When I finally released the game, it appeared in a world where the forces of decline had ravaged the population, leaving soulless husks unable to appreciate Grimoire no matter what it's merits.

zombieitz2.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
"I didn't change Grimoire. The world changed around Grimoire."

I imagine a timeline where W7 spawned countless of clones and inspired games like Grimoire be made, and I weep for what could have been

Instead Wizardry is almost forgotten in the West

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
What the fuck is a Wizardry?

Does V2 come with an awesome button during the QTE's? Also, when can we expect multiplayer with multiple play modes across multiple platforms?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Does V2 come with an awesome button during the QTE's? Also, when can we expect multiplayer with multiple play modes across multiple platforms?

When you can get your biceps larger than 14 inches cold taped through progressive strength training and no longer have to push your fingers under them with your arms folded, I'll put an awesome button in Grimoire.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Game made me feel better about myself, fixed my shortsightedness, built muscles and strengthened my jaw just by existing in my Steam library. Looking forward to playing it one day when the manual is out.

You're the only one who gets it, idealizing Grimoire is the only good thing about it, just don't play it, keep it on your library and imagine how great it could be.

Diggfinger

Arcane
One recent reviewer conceded he had not actually played the game to produce his review, he had merely repeated what he read in other reviews by other people who played the game a few minutes. This is what a cocktail of SSRIs, long term neglect and single parented households can do to the minds of developing children.

I didn't change Grimoire. The world changed around Grimoire while I was working on it for 20 years. The Bell Curve shifted left by 6 points and two generations of kids grew up on aspartame, fluoride and lead-filled corn syrup. When I finally released the game, it appeared in a world where the forces of decline had ravaged the population, leaving soulless husks unable to appreciate Grimoire no matter what it's merits.

Ahhh, he even cares about the children :love:someone get this man nominated for a Nobel Peace Price, ASAP!!:outrage:

I'm still in awe about how one man created such a game on his own, and filled this much content into 40 mbs.
Cleve, please go on Matt Chat and enlighten our feeble minds as to how such wonder is possible!

Last edited:

Vulpes

Scholar
Why do these fucking poorfags think they can go through life, pirating shitty games from dead companies like Wizardry 8 and VtMB, not understanding that paying 100.000 dollars for a massive game like Grimoire is a good bargain, and not think that they deserve to get shot by great, hard working guys like Clive? Seriously, once you've played amazing games (like Grimoire and Pillars of Eternity) like I have, you really start to understand that the average Codexer doesn't deserve to live

Diggfinger

Arcane
And Cleve just posted an update on the Grimoire store page linking to this review.

What more could a dwarf want out of life.

From Steam page:
"The real Grimoire is conclusively reviewed at the link above with a detailed examination of nearly all the features in the game ... but keep in mind, the author was limited by space and could not write about all the qualities that make Grimoire a one-of-a-kind roleplaying adventure!"

Seems even Dorateen failed to capture all the greatness :D

Dorateen

Arcane
And Cleve just posted an update on the Grimoire store page linking to this review.

What more could a dwarf want out of life.

From Steam page:
"The real Grimoire is conclusively reviewed at the link above with a detailed examination of nearly all the features in the game ... but keep in mind, the author was limited by space and could not write about all the qualities that make Grimoire a one-of-a-kind roleplaying adventure!"

Seems even Dorateen failed to capture all the greatness :D

Have to leave some secrets for other folks to uncover on their own.

Truth be told, there were things I still could have gone back and finished, extending the adventure further. I'm sure there are areas I did not touch upon, including crafting simply because I did not engage with this system.

On the issue of bugs, I want to report that in over 300 hours of playing, I did not experience a single game stopping defect. Not one. I consider that quite remarkable.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

When you can get your biceps larger than 14 inches cold taped through progressive strength training and no longer have to push your fingers under them with your arms folded, I'll put an awesome button in Grimoire.
Dude...18 inches flexed held out from my body.

Awesome button incoming!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom