Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Long Live the Queen

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Hanako Games; Long Live the Queen

Back in the decline-plagued year of 2011, with no proper RPGs like Divinity: Original Sin or tactical RPGs like Blackguards in sight (and with Age of Decadence remaining the all-too-easy subject of "vaporware" jokes), our very own Darth Roxor did a review of the CYOA RPG Academagia. Our readers generally prefer "full-fledged" RPGs, or at least those with good combat or interesting "choices & consequences" (C&C for short), so Academagia didn't really gain a lot of traction around these parts. However, CYOA RPGs are still RPGs, at least to some extent, and so it shouldn't be too surprising that another one, Long Live the Queen!, has caught our attention.

In this quick review, esteemed community member Deuce Traveler tells us what's good about the game -- but also what's bad, and not particularly exciting, about it. Have a snippet:

And this is my biggest issue with Long Live the Queen. There is no way for you to predict the various skills that you will need to survive. In one playthrough, I had done well building up my courtly skills, only to fall victim to an arrow that I could not avoid due to a lack of archery skills, nor treat the resulting wound due to a lack of battlefield medicine skills. So, I loaded a previous save and pumped my skills up just enough to be able to live through the attack and move on. The game is won on the basis of trial and error rather than any tactical decision making on part of the player. It really is just a choose-your-own-adventure (CYOA) visual novel. Due to its lack of randomization or tactical considerations, the skill checks are simply another CYOA element. Even the somewhat similar skill building simulator, the infamous Slave Maker 3, has more randomization, and that game is a fan project.

That brings me to my final point. Long Live the Queen is a fine story as seen through Elodie's eyes, and the character works as a quirky slate for the player. However, the supporting cast is full of unsympathetic arseholes. Even Elodie's father hides critical information from her, despite having a vested interest in her survival. Her friends are fickle, the nobility behave as vultures over a rotting carcass, and the peasants are either dull or violent. With so many unlikable characters, I often found myself playing Elodie as a martial character, mastering warfare, weapons, and magic. To the game's credit, however, you can play as a much more cultured and peaceable character and still win. I have read, for instance, that there is a winning path for someone who becomes a master musician. You can also develop romantic relationships with many of the different characters, despite a range of ages and genders. Because of this, the game has some replay value for those willing to work through its trial-and-error gameplay loop.​

Read the full review: RPG Codex Review: Long Live the Queen

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  2. TripJack Prestigious Gentleman Hedonist

TripJack
    :desu:

why would you respect those morans?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's no less of an RPG than smth like Academagia though... :M

^ Top  
  4. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    what happened to this site

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  5. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :M

^ Top  
  6. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    This isn't even hentai wtf

Moe Codex

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    :nocountryforshitposters:

^ Top  
  8. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    We review all kinds of RPGs.

Feel free to PM me with your oh-so-relevant complaints :M

(I know all about you, Exc ;))

xD

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  9. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    You scare me

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. jagged-jimmy Prophet

jagged-jimmy
    Codex 2012
  11. Applypoison Numantian Games Patron Developer

Applypoison
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The skill system seems pretty ambitious. How long did it take to clear the game?

And what about functions like fast-forwarding what you've already seen, saving & tracking endings?

Is there DLC for additional costumes?

Thanks.

Show Spoiler
    :troll:
    Show Spoiler
    :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

^ Top  
  12. papillon Hanako Games Developer

papillon
    Fast-forwarding was always possible but sometimes awkward. In more recent versions, there's a handy 'Skip Ahead' button which will come up on the lower-right corner of the dialog box when reading text you've seen before, and if clicked will fast-forward through the event and stop if you hit new text. Recent versions also display a breakdown of which skills are affected by your current mood, since some people were having trouble doing all the math, and it was meant to be obvious. (If you want a list of all skills affected by all moods, you still have to compile that yourself.)

There are in-game tools that track all the death graphics you've seen, all the achievements you've unlocked, and all the epilogue graphics you've unlocked, which isn't quite the same as tracking endings (because what, exactly, counts as a single ending is complicated). There are even yet still more bonus options and dialogues available beyond that list, but they're minor.

You unlock a lot of costumes through gameplay and they have stat effects, but no DLC for ones beyond that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    The time has come, guys. We need to make a change.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Spoit Novice

Spoit
    I could have sworn trial and error skill allocation was one of the main selling points of Age of Decadence

^ Top  
  15. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Keeping it reals, yo? If someone wants hentai, they can always review the Legend of Queen Opala. Just remember the pics.

As for me, I'm planning to review ADOM here soon, which should placate the purists. Now all I have to do is get a damn character to survive... :(

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    :updatedmytxt:

Maybe if you suck.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    This game is more of an RPG than anything Bioware has made since BG2.
    The trial-and-error nature of the game is quite off-putting though, especially since it takes quite a lot of mouse-clicks to perform each "trial".
    More non-lethal fail states might make it more interesting to play.

^ Top  
  18. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Elodie has best skillset I ever seen in games, period

Too bad it's so random and game is deadlier than AoD

^ Top  
  19. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    I think its a subtle message from the staff meaning "Write game reviews slackers, or more of this is coming"

^ Top  
  20. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    I don't wanna be mean but this /really/ isn't an RPG in any sense of the word. I mean, I can understand stuff like jRPGs (it's in the name!) and those obscure Japanese dungeon crawlers, but come one, this and that weird side-ways magic sidescroller, they don't really fit the concept of this site at all. Sometimes no content is better than content that's gonna make us look weird.

If you include this you gotta be consequent and write a Princess Maker 2 review, too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Even Jaesun thinks this game is too gay.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Prestigious magazine

^ Top  
  23. papillon Hanako Games Developer

papillon
    To quote from an old blog post on the subject:

Said post also explains why I didn't want to promote it as one, even though it does qualify under some definitions.

When it comes to sites like GOG and Steam, though, you have to pick from a pretty small list of categories. Simulation and RPG are the closest available matches.

It will get even more confusing if and when I ever finish my current project, which may get 'RPG' out of desperation and everyone will be angry about it. (You control a squad of characters. They have skills and equipment. Succeeding in challenges gives you XP which you use to level-up their skills. The problem is, the challenges are solving mysteries. There's no category in existence to cover this.)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    I drink your tears and they nourish me. This is why you put a woman in charge.

This game is also an RPG from pretty much every possible pespective. Come on, entertain me.

Meh. I'm not entertained.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)