Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by PrimeJunta

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Has this been pinned on Codex Steam Curator yet? What about twitter?

Maybe Codex relationship with Obsidian can still be salvaged. It might require yet another neutral-positive review but we're getting there, one blowjob at a time.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, we've established that Roxor rant about Pillars of Eternity was a trollish act.

You know repeating something thousand times makes it real only in your head.

Seeing how you keep repeating that Roxor review is a trollish act, that being only in your mind because you dont like it, and you claim its a established fact because repeating that claim makes it real.

So again repeating something large number of times can make it real only in your mind.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Roxor's review is the best thing that happened in this God forsaken place this year.
I can't wait to cast my vote in the Pillars of Eternity review round-up.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Maybe it's time for someone who isn't intelectual dishonest / trolling to write the official negative review for the cRPG that was majoritively well received in the Codex by any poll standard.

Or maybe those who could write that review are too busy playing Twitcher and FPSs like I see in my Steam friend list when I get home from work. :lol:

Telengard

Arcane
The notion that the review lacks supporting details is laughable. This thing has more concrete details and weighed arguments than the other 3 combined.
Now, if those details could be directed at the main thrust of the article, instead of upon tangents, we would have ourselves a real review, instead of a mess of too many details that wanders around like a youtuber, going nowhere.

I realize that uneducated youtubers and bloggers have messed up your idea of what a review is. But a review, a real review, has to speak to those who have never played the game. Those who have played POE will understand every word of this article, but those who haven't, won't. Which is why Decado writes a better review. He at least can lay a foundation.

Reviews have different requirements from opinion pieces. This article satisfies the requirements for an opinion piece, and probably should have been written as one. Particularly since that's where its intent seems to lie, what with things like including insider slang and undetailed IE references and such (meaning not only do you have to played POE to understand the article, you have to have played the IE games - very sad).

Thonius

Arcane
I like POE.
XJPPSN5.png

I mean really like.

Mortmal

Arcane
"The world is deep, fully-realised, and more believable than Forgotten Realms or most other swords-and-sorcery settings" Better than the most well known D&D setting... How many lore books was there ? probably well over an hundred. Bah I wont bother anymore this time, the review is boring and soulless ironic as almost everything about POE lore was related to souls.

Sits , deserves a review more, I think tuluse was on it. Would be almost tempted to write one, its extremely hard for me although.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

At last, the neutral-positive review

TAh7kou.jpg
This is far more interesting than the long winded review.

If I understand the symbolism correctly, primecrybaby is being wheeled into RPGwatch and has won now that his review is published. The codex's angry army can only look on as Dark underlord stands between them, denying them vengance while straddling the rocks of shillism.

Truly, a monocle worthy piece of art, sir. What is it titled?

sser

Arcane
Developer
You don't give money to the bums
on a corner with a sign bleeding from their gums
Talking about you don't support a crackhead
What you think happens to the potatoes from your donations
Shit the Codex's an addict
With a Mountain Dew a week review PilloE habit

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"The world is deep, fully-realised, and more believable than Forgotten Realms or most other swords-and-sorcery settings" Better than the most well known D&D setting... How many lore books was there ? probably well over an hundred. Bah I wont bother anymore this time, the review is boring and soulless ironic as almost everything about POE lore was related to souls.

One good example of difference in world design between BG and PoE is comparison between Defiance Bay and Athkatla.

Lets take a look what lore says about the cities in question.

Athkatla is a large port town that rests a few miles south of the Cloud Peaks, a prominent mountainous region. It is located in the middle of the trade route between southern provinces such as Calimshan, and northerly ones such as Waterdeep. Because of this, it is by far the largest and busiest harbour in all of Amn.

Defiance Bay, sitting at the edge of the ocean, forest, fertile farmland, and a river that runs from the coast to the White March, the port city became Aedyr gateway to new frontier lands and the riches of Eír Glanfath, teeming with colonist, adventurers and explorers from all over the region.

Sounds pretty similar right, now play both games and explore both cities and you will immediately see the difference.

Athkatla actually feels like a busy city packed with merchants, thiefs, adventurers and all manner of other people, where guilds fight at night for control of the streets, a city filled with dangers and opportunities.

For Defiance Bays lore says a lot but just like for the rest of the game shows very little. City feels more then half empty, no signs of colonist, adventurers and explorers or masses of refugees that game says they are there. As said in BG2 you can see power struggle at night while in PoE you are told there is one but little is actually seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom