Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: South Park: The Stick of Truth

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have.

Black

Arcane
Too much shit and ass and farts. A fart joke is "funny" once or twice but if you have a whole mechanic of farting to do your bidding plus all the ass and fart jokes, you're doing something wrong.

Deleted member 7219

Not as funny as the TV show, but it feels like a genuine South Park experience.
"Not as funny as the TV show" doesn't mean anything, because the funniness of the show has varied so much over the years. Is it not as funny as seasons 1-6, when the series was at its peak? Or is it not as funny as the more recent seasons, where genuine humor is mostly replaced by tedious references to whatever is currently in the news?

Personally I thought the show was at its peak during seasons 4 - 8. I agree about the more recent ones though, there are maybe one or two good episodes a season now and the rest is awful.

thesoup

Arcane
It's the very definition of "good for what it is". It's like the episodes, you play it with friends around and laugh at fart jokes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nice write-up, except for that Josh Sawyer bit in the middle, which was pretty detached from the rest and pointless.

Anyway, the game is quite unique in that I am still on the fence about getting it. This has never happened before - reading Codex review always nailed it for me. Not this time, though.
I was perfectly content to skip the review entirely and just read this thread until I got to this part.
https://vine.co/v/blZ176trTru
Replace "Tom Cla-" with the obvious.

Scrolled to that part, laughed.

Also I warned you about the design capabilities of that pale basement virgin Matt MacLean. I warned you.

Bulba

Learned
I played the trial version for like 20 min. jokes were good, but the game sucks big time. I kinda feel that the game needs more than just a nice setting and writing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also I warned you about the design capabilities of that pale basement virgin Matt MacLean. I warned you.
v3Yl5FD.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zed: It’s a bit funny how Obsidian are often profiled as the CRPG developer, when they haven’t exactly got a lot of releases under their belt to show for it. Imagine us in a year or two, reviewing Armored Warfare and going “Tanks?! Real-time?! Where are mah choices?! We expected more from you – Chris Avellone!”
I guess it is because of the people working there. People say Obsidian, but I think that people also think of the Black Isle days. When I think Obsidian Entertainment, I not only think about the current studio, I think about the past history of some of the employees. That might not be right, but that is how I see it.

I wish Obsidian could make games that we want, but Feargus Urquhart has realized that they can't pick and choose however they want. I have absolutely no interest in armored Warfare or the other MMO that they are helping out with, but if it brings in the money for them to make games I am more interested in, then why the hell not? I bought South Park and Dungeon Siege III. Again, not the games I was expecting or wanting them to make. But as long as they don't go out of business and still make games like Pillars of Eternity, or any good old wrpg in general, then I have hopes that we can all be happy. (At least I can be happy.)

lurker3000

Arcane
Zed: It took me 12 hours to beat the Stick of Truth

They were charging $59.99 for 12hours? Holy console development batman!

But I'm sure PE is going to be great.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

There are PC games with comparable times that cost as much. Price is an estimate of the demand.

lurker3000

Arcane

There are PC games with comparable times that cost as much. Price is an estimate of the demand.

True but didn't they say this game had 30 hours of game-play? Anyways I'm glad I didn't buy this on faith when it came out.

Duraframe300

Arcane

True but didn't they say this game had 30 hours of game-play? Anyways I'm glad I didn't buy this on faith when it came out.

No, there was talk of ~25 hours, but that was early on before all the cuts.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Being irrational as always right? Reading through;

" it’s “good for what it is.” I highly recommend this game " ehm, yeah..right-o hun..

Gets better though

Random person: "Fart jokes are too important"
(we say shit like that in the Codex[incline TM], ain't like dem Bioware/Blizzard forums over here) Hell, they BROfist quality here, recognition maaan
Aaaaaand, lol, sur-fucking-prise, Duraframe pops in!!! Woohoo, the novelty! Duraframe defending MCA in an MCA related thread? My fucking god, when!?!111 Pic or it never happened

that's only the first page, i stopped there. Call me a morrowind Mudcrab, i admit i can compute only so much

..oh wait.. ^^

Duraframe300

Arcane
?

When the fuck did I defend MCA? That he only did cutscene production/his *owner* duties on SP is a fact, nothing else.

Also I generally don't defend MCA. If anything I'm pointing out what he sucks at and what hes good at instead of going *MCAISGOD* the codex does/did. Hell he isn't even my favourite Obsidian writer.

Rake

Arcane
?

When the fuck did I defend MCA? That he only did cutscene production/his *owner* duties on SP is a fact, nothing else.

Also I generally don't defend MCA. If anything I'm pointing out what he sucks at and what hes good at instead of going *MCAISGOD* the codex does/did. Hell he isn't even my favourite Obsidian writer.
?
What in his post made you think that he makes any sense or that he has a use for things like logic and facts ?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Good review! I agree with most of the points made - I thought it was a funny game, but a bit too simplistic mechanics-wise and not worth paying full price for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom