Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Tale of Wuxia

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was one of the bigesst positive surprises for me. You guys should also play the Pre-Sequel, even if that is a bit more of a traditional style of RPG.

Is the pre-sequel as buggy as they say? How different is it from the original?
It's more standard fare.
You have a world map and as you open up more places, you can do things in a slightly non-linear fashion. Battle system is the same. Standard fare is 6 controllable characters, while there are some smaller scale fights or larger scale fights. Your characters gain levels, unlike Tale of Wuxia, which raises health and focus. You can learn passive and active skills from books/scrolls. There's also something called perspective points that you gain during the game. These are used to raise the attributes of your characters.
It also has a DLC, which plays more like a TRPG than a regular rpg.

I didn't really suffer any bugs that I can remember. It's a bit janky and the translation is less than stellar, but there was absolutely nothing that stopped me from finishing the game.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since Steam sale will come in less than 3 days, I guess it's time to finally purchase it as it has been on my wishlist for long enough.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Do these assorted things like tea-making or caligraphy only serve as secondary combat skills or do they have some use outside of it?

They get checked in all sorts of weird circumstances or unlock new events. They also influence minigames.

getter77

Augur
A shame they just can't get the resources to polish the international releases up to the standard they've earned to have a real audience breakthrough as of yet---the fan translated screenshot LP on SA for the original version of the game made it clear that they had surely achieved the core of something wonderful and evocative.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Get fucked Darth Turd, if I ever saw you in person I would, huh, probably just awkwardly laugh and avoid eye contact. Whatever, man. You're not getting out of this alive

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
every great xia knows that there are ruffians in search of whoopass waiting around every corner

average day in the life of darth roxor:

Delterius

Arcane
Do these assorted things like tea-making or caligraphy only serve as secondary combat skills or do they have some use outside of it?

They get checked in all sorts of weird circumstances or unlock new events. They also influence minigames.
are you telling me there isn't some kind of gimmicky fighting style that scales off caligraphy called cursive fist of the 5 mountains

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's a shame that despite everything Heluo Studio isn't really worth supporting.

Ho Tu Lo Shu doesn't even run for a lot of ang moh.

17020.jpg
This always cracks me up

he's literally Drog

Nostaljaded

Savant
K5zkn13.jpg

The would-be ENG translator will have a hard time just translating that line;
either at excessive length, intentional segment(s) omission, nonsensical OR a combination of the 3.

Roughly how many hours in would a normal let's play video reach the 'You are just a delicacy... send you to heaven' part?
Wish to know whether it's just bad translation or the original text is already as such.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Roughly how many hours in would a normal let's play video reach the 'You are just a delicacy... send you to heaven' part?

Idk, but many. It's basically in the final chapter.

Vatnik Wumao

There's an important skill check half way through the game that involves all the misc skills. You need to pass every single check to unlock the "true" path of the game.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

There's an important skill check half way through the game that involves all the misc skills. You need to pass every single check to unlock the "true" path of the game.

Isn't that the skill check to unlock the

harem ending?

Nostaljaded

Savant
Thanks Roxor.

1lX2MMB.jpg

Gaggle Machine Translation:
Is there a way to eat the fat sheep that comes to the door?
You can rest assured that I will hurt you first, and then send you a comfortable sword!

Bling Machine Translation:
How can a fat sheep come to the door without eating?
You rest assured that I will first good pain you, and then a sword to send you comfortable down!

Baidu Machine Translation:
Is there any reason why the fat sheep that come to you do not eat?
Don't worry, I will hurt you well first, and then I will give you a sword to go down comfortably!

Literal translation for 1st part:
Who wouldn't eat a premium lamb offered at our doorstep?

Official Translation:
You are just a delicacy waiting for me!
Rest assure, I'll send you to heaven with my penis... Then with my sword!

Proper translation could be along the following lines:
Who wouldn't accept a beautiful lady who turns up on her own?
Don't worry, I'll first make you feel good, before I send you comfortably down under with my sword!

Chinese game writing mostly, if not all, uses figurative terms, so not sure why does the translator did so?
It's definitely a good way to promote the game though. :M

ntonystinson

Scholar
Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel, the authentic sequel of Tale of Wuxia which surpasses the latter in every way

From the Steam Page of the Pre Sequel

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Thanks Roxor.

1lX2MMB.jpg

You can rest assured that I will hurt you first, and then send you a comfortable sword!

You rest assured that I will first good pain you, and then a sword to send you comfortable down!

Don't worry, I will hurt you well first, and then I will give you a sword to go down comfortably!

Official Translation:

Don't worry, I'll first make you feel good, before I send you comfortably down under with my sword!

Chinese game writing mostly, if not all, uses figurative terms, so not sure why does the translator did so?

So he's going to rape her then murder her? Typical chinese empire for you i guess.
f499f03f5c83a3fe9e2783b9925d5e19.jpg

er

1000-dc-10_207919.jpg

Vatnik Wumao

Isn't that the skill check to unlock the

harem ending?

Yes, but not entirely. There are a whole bunch of other requirements to fulfill in order to get the ending you are talking about. The skill check's main function is to

allow you to join the utopia society

Vatnik Wumao
Thanks Roxor.

1lX2MMB.jpg

Official Translation:

So he's going to rape her then murder her? Typical chinese empire for you i guess.
f499f03f5c83a3fe9e2783b9925d5e19.jpg

er

1000-dc-10_207919.jpg

Fun bit of trivia, Xi's sister was actually raped and murdered during the cultural revolution.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How many golden thrones are there that "leaders" across the world rule from?
Francis-Throne.jpg
POPE+BENEDICT+XVI+in+Pius+IX+throne.jpg
B16.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
A Typical working day in China... watch out for the Dragon Emperor Xi or even the empirical soldiers. They're just waiting to bust your ass for being lazy.
YES!! THEY EAT THEIR OWN!!!

And why this work??? For this
il_570xN.782963904_8ol8.jpg
il_570xN.838631397_hq4d.jpg

you know for NSFW situations..
lusciousnet_princess_plug_96299792.jpg

4A7D8B0.jpg

Ok, enough China bashing from me. Or was it advertising?

lightbane

Arcane
Looks like this Chinese RPG is way better than the other one recently released. I mean The Outer Worlds, of course. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom