Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Tale of Wuxia

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since when is it a negative to not find everything on your first run of a game?

When the gameplay is so boring i don't even want to play the game once.

Besides, it's not about doing everything, it's about being on a timer for no reason and it's a minor beef, if it was just that, it'd be just fine.
Cf. my other 9 points ...
Well, those 9 points didn't bother me. I'll give you one point, that the combat camera could be better.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
chances are you're not going to complete most quests from the first village

outrageous

absolutely outrageous

this would have never happened in oblivion

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
chances are you're not going to complete most quests from the first village

outrageous

absolutely outrageous

this would have never happened in oblivion
You could always use cheetengine to stop time. That way you will be able to see most of the content on the first play. Which is a recommended thing since the game is kind of very long and not really a good thing for replayability.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
20191214205745_1.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You guys are hilarious, you know that game is a piece of crap and you can't say anything about 9/10 points i mentioned so you're focusing on the weak one.

You're probably good poker players but your video games tastes really stinks.

This game is a 70% dating sim / visual novel 20% mini-games with 5% decent TB combat and 5% linear timed decent exploration.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You want to do and see everything in one playthrough. Play Bethesda games or something similar. The game has good replayability. Most of your negatives are not negatives for me.

-You're on the clock. I don't mind.
-Mini-games in any game is a minus. I didn't mind half of them.
-You get items, exp and money. What else do you want? 72 virgins?
-You're not supposed to befriend everyone in one run. If you have played the game more than once, you will know that depending on who you befriend, you will experience different situations. Again, this is a good thing.
-Training and watching sequences was fun. A lot of fun.
-Inventory. Just like any other crpg. How is this a negative? I sold a lot of shit because you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know shit from good stuff. Even if you can't, this is not a negative for me.

-You can rotate the camera in combat, but yes, the camera isn't the best. Usually, like 90% of the time, you know what you are up against.

I didn't say anything about most of your points because I disagree with them.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're saving money on character design perhaps? They asked one of their intern "copy that character in the new art style" and done!

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
The review didn't mention it, but I can only assume that the combat is turn based since nothing else would be worthy of such high praise on the codex. Obviously it is not real time combat.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The review didn't mention it, but I can only assume that the combat is turn based since nothing else would be worthy of such high praise on the codex. Obviously it is not real time combat.

The combat engine in Tale of Wuxia is pretty standard when you look at the big picture. It’s turn-based, there’s a hex-grid, a bunch of combatants, each of them is limited to one move and one action per turn, etc.

:nocountryforshitposters:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The combat engine in Tale of Wuxia is pretty standard when you look at the big picture. It’s turn-based, there’s a hex-grid, a bunch of combatants, each of them is limited to one move and one action per turn, etc.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Obviously, he didn't read the review, just like everybody else.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Played it after reading the review. Didn't really like it, mostly because of the writing, or maybe it's the translation.

-There’s so much pointless text shoved in this game. It completely destroys any sense of pacing. Editing it down to 50% and fixing the poor translation would help so much. I end up skipping important information because it’s mixed with heaps of poorly translated Chinese basket weaving trivia. Maybe if I had the proper historical background to contextualize some this it would be more interesting, but I don’t, and the game doesn't offer it. I’m not sure if the writing is bad or if it’s the translation, but I suspect it’s the latter because every dialogue sounds like robots trying to masquerade as humans. By the end of it I started skipping even basic conversations.
I got to end of the second year and realized I didn’t care about any of the characters, including my own, and there was no plot to keep me interested. The writing is pretty much why I stopped playing, and the game doesn’t work when I skip text.
- I wish they removed all free roaming from this game. It’s all just a big menu in disguise, and fails to deliver anything that wouldn’t have been better delivered through an actual menu. They clearly lacked the resources to create an engaging virtual world to explore. You also can’t quickly skip the free roaming parts in replays.
- The raising sim elements are really fun. The exploration here actually felt meaningful. In an ideal world this repayable game would have a “skip seen text” feature, and than having all the exploration in here would make the game truly repayable.
- The combat is fun because of all the varied stats, meaningful buffs and debuffs, and all the fancy attacks. Shame there’s isn’t more of it.
- The way the non combat skills mix into the rest of the game is really good. Stats in general all seem important, usually after two hours of playing I know which are the dump stats, but here everything feels relevant to a different degree.
- The C&C is nice. It’s achieved by using a timer. The game is perfectly fine even if you ignore the timer and do whatever interests you, but you probably won’t enjoy the game if you have a timer-phobia.
- The cartoon portraits are so ugly. It’s better to have two portraits of the more realistic style than those awful blobs. VNs are better with three nice portraits, than ten ugly ones. The writing is more important than the visuals.
- I wish there was a surrender fights button.
- The mini games are fine conceptually, some are pretty bad tough. Hunting, 2048 blacksmith, cooking, and painting are ok. None are good enough for how much the player is encouraged to grind them.
- I like the randomized character creation, with the randomized traits. Makes it feel like more of a character you role-play, rather than a min-maxed machine.

There’s a really interesting game underneath it all that mixes a raising sim with an RPG in a way that feels far more involved and interactive than Princess Maker games. This design can be copied and refined into a great indie game, but when playing Tale of Wuxia, at least in the English version, it all dies under the sheer amount of bad content it’s attached to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom