Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Age of Decadence

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah man I just had the mood to attack your review because of reasons.
Let me rephrase once more to make my self clear(hopefully):
Its not that I think you make invalid points or that you don't have a proper knowledge of the game, my problem was that reading the review felt like I'm living in an era filled with C&C CRPGs and we have the opportunity to find the "inconsistencies" in new ones. That's obviously not true.
I know you talked a lot about how combat is good but from what I've gathered the game's main strength lies in C&C and blocking content according to character choices. The fact that Lore or Crafting are apparently more important is meta-knowledge and not something to be considered so negative imo.
Anyways we've talked about it, let's leave it be. Opinions are opinions

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
my problem was that reading the review felt like I'm living in an era filled with C&C CRPGs and we have the opportunity to find the "inconsistencies" in new ones. That's obviously not true.

So by your reasoning since 2006 was a shit year for RPG's, we shouldn't judge Oblivion harshly here and be as fawning as any other mainstream 11/10 GOTC reviews from that time... :M

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
my problem was that reading the review felt like I'm living in an era filled with C&C CRPGs and we have the opportunity to find the "inconsistencies" in new ones. That's obviously not true.

So by your reasoning since 2006 was a shit year for RPG's, we shouldn't judge Oblivion harshly here and be as fawning as any other mainstream 11/10 GOTC reviews from that time... :M

Oblivion was one of the reasons 2006 was a shit year

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I can't think of one [reason not to take Lore].

I already pointed out: full combat characters (who take a huge DUMP on non-combat stats) are better off skipping lore.

Any hybrid worth his salt, however, WILL invest in Lore, no arguments here. Both builds you posted are hybrids. And the assassin missed the abyss because of ONE point. I know that feel :negative:

Saross machine is also minor-ish.

Someone is too cool for Godhood. :roll:

Bear in mind that I agree with like 90% of what the reviewer wrote and think this is a top notch review.
I just quoted the little bits I disagree/consider wrong because reasons. Kinda like what he did with AoD :troll:

Still waiting on an update after Darth Roxor plays the Thieves Guild questline. THAT is a questline really worth discussing, IMO.

EDIT: WOW, judging by the stuff the author quoted, I'm 100% convinced people are throwing comments without reading the review. "Bashing the game", wtf?! If you wanna find people bashing AoD, just read shoutbox instead of Roxor's review, lol... :retarded:

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm appalled about the manner in which Darth Roxor bashes AoD without a good reason and I would like everybody to know I only posted the review to harvest the brofists. Would not post it again, except perhaps I would post it again but only for the brofists.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
The "splitting SP into combat/social pool is such a genius move, wonder why no one ever thought of it" paraphrased line gets me because I remember people here freaking out over doing that.

Can't remember whether it was for this game or something else (POE?) but it tickled my funny bone.

Still waiting on an update after Darth Roxor plays the Thieves Guild questline. THAT is a questline really worth discussing, IMO.
If he thought Assassin's Guild was the Three Stooges guild, he's going to LOVE the Thieves Guild.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I already pointed out: full combat characters (who take a huge DUMP on non-combat stats) are better off skipping lore.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell

NUbv4Tg.jpg

:troll:

Someone is too cool for Godhood. :roll:

It was minor within the context of that playthrough. As an IG without persuasionz, I wouldn't even be able to reach godhood, so skipping the Saross machine was only a matter of missing the immediate SP gain from getting the surgical kit and nothing else.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell

Alchemy 2...? (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

It was minor within the context of that playthrough. As an IG without persuasionz, I wouldn't even be able to reach godhood, so skipping the Saross machine was only a matter of missing the immediate SP gain from getting the surgical kit and nothing else.

Yeah, true in that case. Godhood requires a VERY specific build (who the fuck bumps INT and CON and also goes for social skillz anyway?!).

Here is my take on Lore:

Full combat character (4-4-4 social) -> terrible investment, little tangible benefits
Almost full combat (3 points in social) -> bad investment. You're better off maxing out alchemy/crafting instead (Commander Boreale's case)
Hybrid (less than 8/8 PER/INT) -> Good investment, go for it.
Hybrid (equal or more than 8/8) -> Excellent investment as you can reap the full benefits. PICK LORE OR GTFO.
Non-combatant (full social) -> WTF ARE YOU SPENDING YOUR SPS ON THAT YOU HAVE NO LORE, FUCKTARD!?!?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom