Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: The Bard's Tale IV

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:10 AM.

1. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    The official size of the BT4 team was 51 people, which converts to about 0.5 Neanderthals. No excuses please.

• Funny Funny x 13
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Every reviews on the codex should be written like this , by someone who dont like the genre and in bad mood that day, ,no favoritism, no bias.Thought he's mostly right except the repetitive side, its not worse than anything else unfortunatly.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. grimace Learned

grimace
    Parrots:
    I haven't read the other reviews. There are only Codex reviews.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Themadcow Savant

Themadcow
    Parrots:
    Mostly agree with this review. As a sequel to BT1-3 it fails on every conceivable level except the music. For most people who loved what BT1-3 was, then Grimoire was a far superior game - even in it's initial early state.

This is what it is - a first time game by a new studio (inXile New Orleans) and inexperienced creative lead. Going too far into some ideas (puzzles), and not far enough into others (combat/character building) - and you have the feeling that if they had another chance, it might actually be a half decent game. They won't get another chance because they've massively alienated their core fan base and shitty QA has alienated anyone new to the series.

A special mention should go out to the way the post-KS community was managed. Loads of regular updates right up until the KS ended, then it's like the project disappeared for a year or more. Forums and backer portals were bodged (all the way up to release) and despite a huge period of pre-production as they set up the NOLA studio - inXile barely spoke to the 34,000 backers for months on end. Off the top of my head I can recall maybe 2 or 3 threads where they engaged the forum members. As time went by, the forums virtually shut down in terms of activity - kept alive by about 10 people with huge enthusiasm for the original games. On the basis that from the 34k backers, there could have been maybe 10,000 people who genuinely cared about it to contribute to BT4's success - that's an insane way to manage one of your best sources of knowledge and wider web advocacy.

The best thing by far that came out of this KS was the BT remasters by Krome. They did a great job on BT1 and apparently BT2 is pretty much ready to go. Personally it's BT3 I'm most looking forward to, as the Amiga version back in the day was a bit of a nightmare due to a borked random encounter setting (literally every 3 steps) but otherwise it's an excellent addition to the series.

Fargo - if you read this, thanks for doing the KS because it gave us the Remasters. From your Matt Chat's and other interviews it's clear that you 'get' why the original BT's worked so well, which is why it's so confusing that you gave the project to a team that clearly don't understand the genre at all. You missed an amazing opportunity to deliver a modern heir to the throne of BT and Wizardry. It could have been great.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Also, this is a pet peeve of mine. Each time I see something like this in a game, and it happens much more often than it should, I feel like slapping the devs with a leather belt. I remember Arcania pulling the same shit with fedex quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Parrots:
    Felipepepe
    988 products in account
    51 reviews
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not Recommended
    50.1 hrs on record

POSTED: 11 OCTOBER
    The Bard's Tale IV cannot be called a sequel to the original trilogy. It is barely even a dungeon-crawler, with linear dungeons and extremely easy combat. This is not what was promised.

However, it could have still been something new and interesting, an RPG version of games like Portal and The Witness. Alas, it is not. The devs did design a few great puzzles and areas, but then decided that their game needed to be EPIC, adding 20 hours of pure filler content: you'll fight the same dumb enemies and solve the same dumb mechanical puzzles over and over and over again. No InXile, seven block puzzles in a row isn't good design.

Bard's Tale IV could have been a short & fun casual puzzle RPG, but it's just an overly-long waste of your time.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Still so butthurt? And still so bad at reading? Bard's Tale IV is a waste time, even a fully fixed version that removes all filler would be just fun casual RPG. Meanwhile, this is what I actually wrote about your game in that review:

That's some really high praise. And I stand by that. All you needed to do was actually implement the missing features, solve the bugs and balance that indeed hopelessly broken combat. But it's been over a year since that review and we're still waiting for V2...

Finish the fucking game and I promise I'll write in the Codex and CRPG Book about it being one of the best RPGs in the past 20 years. But it has to be a fully finished game, not a broken beta that uses the wrong XP table, makes class change impossible, corrupts people's save games, leaves PCs with negative hitpoints, has empty areas like Castle Moravia, a loot table on par with Bard's Tale IV and shit like that.

• Brofist x 31
    • Salute x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    Does the author by any chance identify as goldfishkin? Because xir seems to have attention span of one. Hurr durr, 28 hours too long. Get the fuck out from our genre.

The game does suck by all accounts, but taking more than one lunch break to complete is literally the last reason why.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    • retadred x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Can you read?

The issue isn't that the game is 28 hours long. The issue is that 18 hours of that is mindless filler.

Or that's what it says in the review. What do I know, I haven't played it. And won't.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    No, it isn't that the game demands too much time of the player, it's like felipepepe said: so often it feels like busywork. The Forests of Inseraich (sp?) is a great example of this. The amount of fairy golf puzzles, the back-tracking with the geodes and then the corrupted totems.. it all felt drawn out such to make the area last longer. And none of the puzzles were even ambiguous. You're doing the same rote action over and over again, with slight variations, in a way that feels distinctly different than trash fights in the IE games and back tracking in other casual-friendly blobblers like Lands of Lore. It feel mechanical, like the straight-line approach would be too fast so we've added a lot of right turns.

That being said, I enjoy the level/loot/fight loop more than felipepe apparently did. And while the Forests of Insraich is probably tied with the intro companion quests for the low point of the game for me (I'm not done), locations like Mangar's Tower, Kylearan's Tower and Sambra Dhu Lodge are an enjoyable mix of fighting and puzzling.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. The Avatar Educated

The Avatar
    Parrots:
    All of their money went into visuals. At least the game looks good, especially compared to that shit cartoon graphics of Grimoire.

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Shit x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. covr Cipher

covr
    Parrots:
    That's actually true. Still waiting for that 2.0 path though.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Bohr Arbiter

Bohr
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:41 PM
    • Funny Funny x 11
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Hey Cleve. When can we expect the manual? I thought we would at least get it for the 1-year release anniversary. Come on man.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So felipepepe , how does BT4 and indeed Grimoire compare to Dawn of War 2 as a quality RPG?

• Funny x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ESh Arcane

ESh
    Parrots:
    That is a good point. It's strange that AA studios are dismissing tight campaigns when it's clearly an economically viable option.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. caldera Novice

caldera
    Parrots:
    Everyday I light a candle and pray that people won't give Fargo their money. WL2 , Torment were disgusting and from what I've seen Bard's Tale isn't much better.
    Here's a prayer he won't try to kickstart sequal for Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    I’m in an odd position: I hated the cargo cult corridor classic that is WL2, Numanuma convinced me that inXile is incompetent, and I like BT4 the most out of those three releases. And I like it despite a lot of problems.

That being said, Fargo has good timing. By the time Numanuma shit the bed, I had already pledged to BT4. I have not backed WL3 and will NOT back another inXile game. Balls in your court inXile- release some good games and you might bring me back around.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Parrots:
    I'd pay to see an interview with him. No joke.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Thanks for saving me the trouble of installing the game.
    Those were some wasted KS dollars. Oh, well... you win some, you lose some.

• sheeple sheeple x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Typical sheep, doing what shepherd tells it instead of forming its own opinion after trying the product (which you don't have to buy to try).

• Brofist x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • cuck x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    Every single game is 90% "mindless filler". That's called "pacing" and it comes with the territory.

Not every button has to be awesome.

• retadred x 5
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Parrots:
    Says the fanboy who is always trying to defend any inXile game from criticism. That's not rational, Goral.

• what? what? x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Martyr Learned

Martyr
    Parrots:
    you've backed this game on KS and yet you're not even installing it, because of one bad review on this website ??
    Goral is right. someone please brofist Goral for me.

• Brofist x 3
    • No x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)