Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Angthoron

Arcane
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Taking a break from the regular reviewing of niche RPG games and a certain game that shall not be mentioned, the Codex is finally subjected to a proper AAA experience - The Witcher 3. Have the Polish developers created a perfect ending to the Witcher series, or is this another victim of the modern open world RPG trends? The official RPG Codex review by Angthoron is finally out:

A lot can be said about The Witcher series - it manages to combine excellent ideas and their successful implementation with ideas that are nearly equally as poor. It is a series of games with a curious amount of trials and errors, and with an unexpected amount of ambition. A lot could be said about the series, but its introduction at this point is ridiculous - instead, let's see whether The Witcher ends on a triumphant note, or whether it's a sad and mangled mess that no-one has really asked for. However, if you do want to read up on some of the things already said about the series, head on to Witcher and Witcher 2 reviews and take a look. They're probably shorter than this one, too.

[...] What can be said about the writing of Witcher 3, then? Well - simply put, it is one of the best-written games to have come out in well over a decade. Perhaps even the best-written RPG since Torment, tackling serious topics and pulling no punches, placing the player in a position of one of the last sane men in an increasingly insane world and never shying away from showing what insanity actually is while avoiding the pitfalls of cheap shock value. The mundaneness of cruelty; the commonness of greed, treason, cowardice; the quiet acceptance of murder, rape, despair, racism and hate - Witcher 3 is all about that. Witcher 3 is about total war without its typical glamor.

[...] The atmosphere of Witcher 3 does its best to support the writing - and succeeds to do it almost perfectly. Visual and audio design serve to reinforce the writing and create a sense of place. The world hardly feels like a theme park - instead, it is a fairly logical, if occasionally repetitive.

[...] Many of the smaller stories, be they a monster hunt, a secondary quest, or a "chance" encounter are well-voiced, thought-out and placed into proper context. Some of the lengthier ones can actually be surprising - and many of these little stories actually offer you a choice. Will you let a lynch mob kill a Nilfgaardian deserter? Will you do what seems to be the right thing, and help him out, causing four times more deaths in the process? The choice is yours.

[...] at a glance, Witcher 3 provides a robust Sawyerian stat system of +5% stat increments that are apparently the pinnacle of RPG design at the moment, and you definitely can get through combat by left-clicking a lot, just like in Pillars of Eternity.

[...] The animations, too, are needlessly drawn-out and, once started, impossible to interrupt with anything short of rolling away, thus offering Geralt more chances to acquire extra scar tissue. This issue extends to just about any type of animation, from swinging a sword to quick-throwing a bomb and is a good source of rage.

[...] Witcher 3 is a bit of a mixed bag. Weak in its gameplay yet surprisingly strong as a story and a game world, console-centric but intelligent, it is likely to be a very divisive game for many, on the Codex in particular, and yet, when the dust will settle, it is likely to end up as a game to ride to a rather high position in the local pantheon of story-heavy games.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Witcher 3

Angthoron

Arcane
gmo61KQ.png

Codex Curator Group has a new entry!

Also, thanks to felipepepe for the title 'shoop.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Controls in Witcher 3 are only average for a WW1 tank simulator or, even worse, Resident Evil 1.

Lhynn

Arcane
Good review, other than a couple errors in it.
Specifically when its talking about boxing minigame, it says you can roll, etc. but you actually cant, your movement is severely impaired, the minigame is more about timing counters than it is about moving around.

Other than that i agree with p. much everything it says.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't like your assessment of the character system. Unlike other AAA games you actually need some planning because there is a limited amount of points to distribute AND skills need to be slotted to actually give any effect. You didn't even care to mention that. Also dismissing it as just sawyerian 5% increases when most of the talents go beyond that by providing fun choices between aditional effects, new abilities or changing your playstyle.

Also "It's all invalid because level is what matters most anyway" is p. dumb. Your skill choices can make beating red level monsters much easier

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't like your assessment of the character system. Unlike other AAA games you actually need some planning because there is a limited amount of points to distribute AND skills need to be slotted to actually give any effect. You didn't even care to mention that. Also dismissing it as just sawyerian 5% increases when most of the talents go beyond that by providing fun choices between aditional effects, new abilities or changing your playstyle.

Maybe he's implying that so do actual Sawyerian increases. :troll:

People see anything that looks like +5%, they immediately get turned off I guess

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
People see anything that looks like +5%, they immediately get turned off I guess
Even then, the skills that merely provide numeric benefits are of a bigger impact than on PoE and aren't just boring incremental upgrades, they're just not that exciting because it's just numbers going up

I got two-handed style and weapon focus talents on poe, got myself 15% damage and +6 accuracy

I got muscle memory and precise blows skills on twitch3r, got 25% increased damage, 10% increased critical hit chance, 75% increased critical hit damage and 10% increased adrenaline generation

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also:
Unfortunately, due to some terrible interface decisions it is impossible to drink potions directly from the inventory screen, therefore you must manually equip desired potions into the two available potion slots, exit the inventory, drink the potions, replace them in the inventory, rinse, lather and repeat as necessary.

This is wrong information. It's only food that can't be used from inventory, and only if you are in combat.

Aenra

Has no F.O.V. slider. At patch sixth come release.
Advertises as PC RPG. Plays as console.

Codex bothers. "Officially" too.

Decline. Did not read. Do not have to. Decline.

:killit:

Die in a fire.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Didn't read the review yet, but the skill system is very much anti-Sawyerian, as everything stacks so that you can come up with really powerful specialized builds if you're smart about it. This means that you'll need to make some concessions elsewhere, though, as alchemy, signs and swords are all viable specialization choices and offer some really useful abilities on higher levels. It's almost refreshing how "non-balanced" the system actually is, without being totally broken except for a few specific abilities or combinations (some decoctions are just insane when combined with the right abilities), most of which you only gain access to quite late in the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Advertises as PC RPG.

Not really.

Didn't read the review yet, but the skill system is very much anti-Sawyerian, as everything stacks so that you can come up with really powerful specialized builds if you're smart about it. This means that you'll need to make some concessions elsewhere, though, as alchemy, signs and swords are all viable specialization choices and offer some really useful abilities on higher levels. It's almost refreshing how "non-balanced" the system actually is, without being totally broken except for a few specific abilities or combinations, most of which you only gain access to quite late in the game.

Lots of individually minor stuff that you need to stack up cumulatively to get a large effect doesn't sound that un-Sawyerian to me...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I also disagree with the use of "Sawyerian" because he's very much against meaningless +whatevers that have no discernible effect.

What you perceive in a game is ultimately what matters the most -- Mass Effect had tons of weapons but they were barely differentiated. They had incremental stat differences only.

"What's the chance that a 5 percent difference is going to make you take the enemy down in one fewer hit? If it takes me four shots, but the fourth shot killed him a little more, that doesn't mean anything to me," Sawyer said.

In Alpha Protocol, "The player could get abilities to upgrade their stealth but often they couldn't see the effects in the game," he said. It was widely considered to have a broken stealth system. "It was a cool idea but certain aspects of it didn't feel good because it didn't feedback to the player."

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Lots of individually minor stuff that you need to stack up cumulatively to get a large effect doesn't sound that un-Sawyerian to me...
Except Twitch3r system is not like that. Things "stack" by interacting with each other. Every skill I have makes an imediately noticeable difference.

This is my build for instance

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
GOTY!

Also:

"OMG, CODEX PROMOTING POPAMOLE

:decline::decline::decline:

SHILLZ

CUCKS!!! Angshillron, why so shill?"

Ahem...

Seriously, tho, Witcher 3 story grabs PoE by its throat and beats it to a pulp. Popamole AAA title took Obsidian in their own Arena (writing) and won a fucking flawless victory. Potato storytelling is strong enough to carry a weak-ass console action game on its back.

Great review Angthoron :salute::salute::salute::salute:. Now, to revel on the butthurt of Witcher haterz :D

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Great review, Angthoron! :incline:

I'm only about 60 hours in but thus far I agree with pretty much everything you said - the writing is great and I've been having a lot of fun overall, but the controls and interface could still use quite a bit of work.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
the best-written RPG since Torment

+M

Yeah, as much as I like the game - and Angthoron's review - I have to concede that this was a bit of a stretch. Surely, at the very least, MotB should be rated higher than TW3 in the writing department?

Lhynn

Arcane

+M
It probably is, its really fucking good regardless, especially in velen.

+M

Yeah, as much as I like the game - and Angthoron's review - I have to concede that this was a bit of a stretch. Surely, at the very least, MotB should be rated higher than TW3 in the writing department?

It may not go to the depths MotB goes to, but it is more natural, characterization in this game is brilliant, and is suported by superb voice acting and by very detailed animations. When you can actually read the lips of the npcs and determine their mood and mood swings due to their expressions you know its good. The talent and effort that went towards making witcher 3 good in this aspect is honestly p. impressive.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I don't have much to offer itt atm other than I think Witcher 3 is decent enough for AAA and is a man's game unlike Bethesda and Bioware which are shit your controlling gf probably enjoys. And I for one agree with Carrion in the clever power build options are far more enjoyable than Obsidians offerings..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom